Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    LMThomas is offline Junior Member LMThomas is on a distinguished road

Latex Gloves and Fingerprints

Hi, everyone,

I had a question that I've been getting a lot of conflicting answers to, depending on whom I ask. Some sources say that latex gloves don't leave behind fingerprints, and some say they do, if they are thin enough. Here's one answer I got:

"Wearing thick gloves or leather gloves will cover your fingerprints. Latex gloves are mostly ineffective if you want to remove fingerprints from fingers because the latex in gloves nowadays is very thin to allow doctors and nurses to have the best sense of touch without being in actual contact. Thicker gloves have a downside as well; the glove has its own unique print pattern, fabrics, etc. that can be identified."

Here's another answer I received:

It is also possible for the exterior of the gloves to pick-up contaminants in a configuration matching the underlying ridges. Sometimes this happens because the gloves may hug or conform to the ridge shape. More often, it is a result of the local pressure exerted on the glove by the underlying ridges along with an ideal viscosity in the contaminant (almost dry oily residue, greasy dirt, etc.) on the surface touched. The result in these (non-permeating) situations is not latent print residue transferring through the gloves, but the gloves acting like a rubber stamp.

Now I've had other people say that this is flat out wrong, and that latex gloves will NEVER leave behind fingerprints, except on the gloves themselves.

Does anyone have a definitive answer for this?

Thanks.

Switchback is online now Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    They CAN.
    We bring evil things to evil people, kicking in a door near you!

."In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But,
    in practice, there is."

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like
    an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig
    was'committed'."

-unknown

Working on a PhD in CQB one doorway at a time.

When the wolf attacks, he will find not all who run with the flock are sheep!

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback View Post
    They CAN.
    Yes the can. I can't speak to your anonymous sources or their credibility, but as a crime scene investigator I can confirm prints can still be obtained if a suspect wears gloves (latex or otherwise). Specifics of how they can be obtained will not be discussed as that information is law enforcement sensitive.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I know of case where we got them off the inside of the glove also!
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

5. This ad will disappear if you login