Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
    DREAMER is offline DREAMER DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts

Illegal Lane Usage?

I Was Recently Involved In An Accident In La. A Fellow Moterist And I Both Entered Into A Turning Lane At The Same Time. I Was Slowing Down To Turn Into A Vacant Parking Lot That Was Around Twenty Feet Ahead On The Left He Was Trying To Beat The Red Light Ahead That Was Around Two Hundred Feet Ahead. The Other Driver Was Behind Me And Decided To To Try To Pass Me In The Center Turning Lane, While My Left Turn Signal Was On . While Trying To Pass Me The Other Driver Managed To Hit My Vehicle On The Front Driver Fender. The Cop That Arrived On The Scene Assumed That, Where The Damage On My Vehicle Was, I Had Turned Into The Other Driver. I Was Told That, In The State Of La., There Is No Laws Or Anything That States That One Can Not Use The Center Lane To Travel In. Does Anyone Know Any Differently?

Rabbit23 is offline The Flying Squirrel Rabbit23 has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    Ouch!!! My head hurts.

Paragraphs are your friend, and why is every word capitalized? That makes it so much harder to actually read.
    Once the sun goes down all the weirdos turn crazy-Homer Simpson

scott715us is offline Sgt/DUI Inst/Juris Doctor scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    #1 - Do not make posts in all capital letters

#2 - It would be hard to determine who hit who in the situation you described. The other driver could simply state that you came into him.

Go to court and state your case. The judge has the ultimate say, not the officer.

LA5150 is offline THE Blue Eyed Devil LA5150 has a reputation beyond repute LA5150 has a reputation beyond repute LA5150 has a reputation beyond repute LA5150 has a reputation beyond repute LA5150 has a reputation beyond repute LA5150 has a reputation beyond repute LA5150 has a reputation beyond repute LA5150 has a reputation beyond repute LA5150 has a reputation beyond repute LA5150 has a reputation beyond repute LA5150 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Assuming that this is a two-way center turn lane that you are talking about:

A driver may pass you in the center turn lane as long as he/she will be making a left turn or U-turn within 200 feet. As the one entering the turn lane it is your responsibility to make sure you can do so safely. A turn signal does not give you the right of way: it only lets other drivers know your intentions.

Bottom line: it was your fault that you merged into the path of the other car.
    Last edited by LA5150; 09-06-06 at 06:37 AM. Reason: The 200 feet rule is CA law. Don't know what it is in your state.

RO56 is offline Knows illegal ninja moves RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    It's hard to tell, but I'm guessing that you were both traveling in the same direction, wanting to use the single center turn lane for different (left) turns (yours sooner than his). Correct?

The bottom line is: If your vehicle had been in the turn lane FIRST, then it would have been impossible for the driver of the other vehicle to hit the FRONT FENDER of your car - he would have hit the REAR of your car.

The ONLY way he could have been in the center turn lane and struck the FRONT FENDER of your car would be if you had attempted to enter the center turn lane while he was already in it.

Time to be an adult, admit responsibility, deal with the consequences, and NOT waste a boatload of the court staff's time and money arguing that it was someone ELSE'S fault.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

DREAMER is offline DREAMER DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts DREAMER is infamous around these parts
    First off, thank to all of the grammer/english teachers out there and thanks for the adult responsibilty lesson.

Second, I really appreciate the honest opinions from the others.

I do have two more questions to ask anyone willing to think.

Do you think it would be possible for someone to accelerate fast enough to hit the front of a slower moving vehicle who both entered the same lane at the same time going in the same direction?
    Do you think a judge would be willing to listen, and try to understand what I am saying?

RO56 is offline Knows illegal ninja moves RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by DREAMER
    Do you think it would be possible for someone to accelerate fast enough to hit the front of a slower moving vehicle who both entered the same lane at the same time going in the same direction?
    It's your responsibility to ensure that someone isn't in the lane before or as you move into the lane.

Just because he may or may not have been speeding doesn't change your responsibility.

You moved left, from one lane to another, and the FRONT (bumper) of his car came in contact with the FRONT FENDER (driver side) of your car - which could only mean one thing: You turned into the lane when another vehicle was present.

Do you think a judge would be willing to listen, and try to understand what I am saying?
    He'll listen, but he's probably not going to blame someone else when it was you that turned into the lane.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

smcc360 is offline Puts the 'Duh' in DUSM smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    First off, thank to all of the grammer/english teachers out there and thanks for the adult responsibilty lesson.
    Unfortunately, you failed them both. It's 'thanks', not 'thank'; 'grammar', not 'grammer', 'English' should be capitalized (judging by your original post, you can probably handle that, at least), you need a comma between 'there' and 'and', and whining about being corrected isn't particularly adult or responsible.

C'mon, toughen up. Boldness will get you twice as far as passive-agressive ever will.

Cinnamon is offline Ms. Feisty Cinnamon has a reputation beyond repute Cinnamon has a reputation beyond repute Cinnamon has a reputation beyond repute Cinnamon has a reputation beyond repute Cinnamon has a reputation beyond repute Cinnamon has a reputation beyond repute Cinnamon has a reputation beyond repute Cinnamon has a reputation beyond repute Cinnamon has a reputation beyond repute Cinnamon has a reputation beyond repute Cinnamon has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I do have two more questions to ask anyone willing to think.
    WOW...ok, smarty pants.........

IBTL
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
    IN VALOR THERE IS HOPE.................................................. ............NEVER FORGET!
    As long as people show valor in their actions to protect others, there will be hope for our society. ~Valor55

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Point , Set and Match. Next player.
    Creeper Cop

11. This ad will disappear if you login