Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    chicknlil is offline Junior Member chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of

Left turn on a red light

I need to know if this is legal. Here is the scenario:

Let's suppose I am traveling northbound on Main Street. I stop at the red traffic light at the intersection. Let's call this intersection 5th Ave.

5th Ave is a westbound one-way-only street.

I need to make a left turn onto 5th Ave. Is it legal to make this left turn on a red light onto a one-way street?

And for those with a suspicious mind... NO, I did not get pulled over or cited (if this is an infraction) and trying to beat the rap. ;)

Thank you.

gabe a. is offline Stargazer gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Depends on where you are and that municipalities traffic code, but here, unless it's posted otherwise, it is legal to turn left from a one-way to another one way.
    Astronomical avatar of the week: The Hourglass Nebula: This formation of gasses was created when a dying star gently ejected its outer layers forming a glowing region of ionized gas as seen in the photo. The remaining core is known as a white dwarf, seen in the center. Our sun will leave a similar corpse behind after expending its nuclear fuel. This nebula is located in the constellation Musca, the fly, visible only in the southern hemisphere.

Welpe is offline Trying...to break free... Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe a.
    Depends on where you are and that municipalities traffic code, but here, unless it's posted otherwise, it is legal to turn left from a one-way to another one way.
    Same in CA.
    "Cheshire Puss," she began, rather timidly... "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
    "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
    "I don't much care where..." said Alice.
    "Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

chicknlil is offline Junior Member chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of chicknlil has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by gabe a.

In Florida.

What if we suppose that Main Street is a two-way street? Is that still legal, at least wherever you're at?

Ironhead is offline Veteran Member Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute Ironhead has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by chicknlil
    Let's suppose I am traveling northbound on Main Street. I stop at the red traffic light at the intersection. Let's call this intersection 5th Ave.

5th Ave is a westbound one-way-only street.

I need to make a left turn onto 5th Ave. Is it legal to make this left turn on a red light onto a one-way street?
    From a one-way .... left onto a one-way is often legal.

If "Main Street" has both a northbound lane and a southbound lane, by turning left onto "5th Ave" you cross a lane of travel (even though it should be stopped by the red light) I can think of no jurisdiction where this is a legal maneuver unless Main is a one-way that only runs north.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1755

"Living in our society is like living in a very tall building. The rich live on the top floors. The poor live on the lowest floors. And only the cops travel to all the floors. Only the cops see it all."
    Det. Ted O'Conner - Chicago P.D

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead
    From a one-way .... left onto a one-way is often legal.

If "Main Street" has both a northbound lane and a southbound lane, by turning left onto "5th Ave" you cross a lane of travel (even though it should be stopped by the red light) I can think of no jurisdiction where this is a legal maneuver unless Main is a one-way that only runs north.

Oops. Please ignore the previous post. I asked the second question ten seconds too soon. Ironhead has answered it.

Thanks, everyone!

squeeeg is offline Veteran Member squeeeg has a reputation beyond repute squeeeg has a reputation beyond repute squeeeg has a reputation beyond repute squeeeg has a reputation beyond repute squeeeg has a reputation beyond repute squeeeg has a reputation beyond repute squeeeg has a reputation beyond repute squeeeg has a reputation beyond repute squeeeg has a reputation beyond repute squeeeg has a reputation beyond repute squeeeg has a reputation beyond repute
    I have that same situation in my city. There are many places downtown that are one way to one way. There is no problem turning on red there. There are other places that are a two way street turning onto a one way(and vica versa). These streets it is not legal to make a left on red.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Left turn on red from a one way to another one way is ok here.
    Creeper Cop

KaiGywer is offline Banned KaiGywer has a reputation beyond repute KaiGywer has a reputation beyond repute KaiGywer has a reputation beyond repute KaiGywer has a reputation beyond repute KaiGywer has a reputation beyond repute KaiGywer has a reputation beyond repute KaiGywer has a reputation beyond repute KaiGywer has a reputation beyond repute KaiGywer has a reputation beyond repute KaiGywer has a reputation beyond repute KaiGywer has a reputation beyond repute
    Same in Minnesota. One way to one way is legal. Good where I live, half the town is one ways.

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    In Oregon, you can also turn left from a two way onto a one way on a red.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Mike Romeo is offline Veteran Member Mike Romeo has a reputation beyond repute Mike Romeo has a reputation beyond repute Mike Romeo has a reputation beyond repute Mike Romeo has a reputation beyond repute Mike Romeo has a reputation beyond repute Mike Romeo has a reputation beyond repute Mike Romeo has a reputation beyond repute Mike Romeo has a reputation beyond repute Mike Romeo has a reputation beyond repute Mike Romeo has a reputation beyond repute Mike Romeo has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Well, in Virginia....

§ 46.2-836. Left turn on steady red after stopping.

Notwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-833, except where signs are placed prohibiting turns on steady red, vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal on a one-way highway, after coming to a full stop, may cautiously enter the intersection and make a left turn onto another one-way highway.

Such turning traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic using the intersection.

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    In NYC, if you are on a one-way, and there is a red light, after stopping, you can make a left on red, IF IT IS ONTO ANOTHER ONE-WAY STREET!
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

Belmar75 is offline Veteran Member Belmar75 has a reputation beyond repute Belmar75 has a reputation beyond repute Belmar75 has a reputation beyond repute Belmar75 has a reputation beyond repute Belmar75 has a reputation beyond repute Belmar75 has a reputation beyond repute Belmar75 has a reputation beyond repute Belmar75 has a reputation beyond repute Belmar75 has a reputation beyond repute Belmar75 has a reputation beyond repute Belmar75 has a reputation beyond repute
    Just came back from O'ahu, Hawaii..

You can not make a left turn on red onto a one-way. It's posted everywhere. Most of their streets are one-ways. Annoying as hell!

Lots of interesting replies. It's a good thing I asked. Yesterday, I told a friend that you can make a left turn on a red light from a one-way street onto another one-way street, unless otherwise posted. My friend responded that a motorist can also make a left turn from a two-way street onto a one-way. She added that she has done this many times.

I told her that I had asked about it on this forum and the majority of you BONAFIDE REAL OFFICERS said that if you had caught her, you guys would bust her chop for it. This was her face when I told her: :eek:

Big_Montana is offline Whoa, Son! Big_Montana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Montana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Montana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Montana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Montana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Montana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Montana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Montana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Montana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Montana has a reputation beyond repute Big_Montana has a reputation beyond repute
    what is a one way street? i know what one lane roads are, the ones where someone has to pull off the road to let oncomming traffic pass, but a one way street?

Just kidding...sort of...

-RJ
    unfortunately off the street, but working on a 2-Year CJ Degree (40% Finished).

Yea though I walk through the valley of no radio reception, with backup in excess of 40 miles away I shall fear no evil, for I am a warrior, for whom the ranchers have an affinity, and they can take the head off a gopher at 200 yards.

16. This ad will disappear if you login

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast