Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MP_Steve is offline Veteran Member MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

Wackenhut - Nevada Test Site

I thought that I'd post this here to hear other member's thoughts about this. I've been looking into this job for a while. Wackenhut has had some poor publicity, but this seems to be a squared away contract, which Wackenhut has held since 1965. This doesn't seem to be your regular Mall Ninja type of work. ;)

U.S. Department of Energy security contract

Security Police Officer - Wackenhut Services, Inc - Nevada Operations (Nevada Test Site)

Security Officers must qualify with .40 cal pistol, M-4 rifle, and M-240 machine gun.

These guys guard the Nevada Test Site, 65 miles north of Las Vegas. Starting pay is $20.65 per hour, 12-hour shifts (minimum four per-week), time & one half after 8-hours, per-diem paid for each day of work, with full-benefits and Union representation.

If you don't have any extra hours per work week, the average annual salary after training works out to be $60,132.80. Salary goes up considerably, but I can't find the Union's webpage so I can't post the max salary, which I believe they reach after six years (?).

It seems very para-military, but the website mentions no requirement of military of law enforcement experience, although I'm sure it's a requirement. They put you through a 10-week Academy mandated by Department of Energy.
    Last edited by MP_Steve; 04-05-08 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggy View Post
    That being said, maybe they would last longer if I stopped getting them from the cemetery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey9019 View Post
    What Would Norm Do?

basher52 is offline Veteran Member basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Steve, are you with a police dept now or still in the military? The position you mention in your post sounds like it is one step above security guard. Not being employed directly by DOE says volumes. Granted, Wackenhut has had the contract a long time, but it is still a pvt entity, not a local, state or fed agancy.

I have to say, the pay and benefits are far better than they start our new hires with presently, but it is not police work IMHO.

MP_Steve is offline Veteran Member MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by basher52 View Post
    Steve, are you with a police dept now or still in the military? The position you mention in your post sounds like it is one step above security guard. Not being employed directly by DOE says volumes. Granted, Wackenhut has had the contract a long time, but it is still a pvt entity, not a local, state or fed agancy.

I have to say, the pay and benefits are far better than they start our new hires with presently, but it is not police work IMHO.
    I'm presently employed as a full-time police officer.

I was in the reserve as an MP, hence my screen name.
    That being said, maybe they would last longer if I stopped getting them from the cemetery.
    What Would Norm Do?

Verified LEO
    Not being employed directly by DOE says volumes.

I don't believe DoE employs any of their own guard personnel other than GS-0084 series Federal Agents/Nuclear Materials Courier.

I have to point out that in no way was I implying that this is police work. I doubt they conduct any LE, pediod.

I'm not necessarily looking to cement myself down in law enforcement right away. Afterall, I'm only 22 :p. The pay and benefits for the NTS contract are hard to pass by if you can get in with them, and it seems to be a prestigous security assignment.
    What Would Norm Do?

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    DOE uses all contract at most facilities. I have a buddy with DOE-OIG in Vegas who said it is a security guard position, with some fancy training. He stated most of the staff are retired military and law enforcement working a job in retirement. He said it is not bad, but is mostly perimeter security.
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

Hockey9019 is offline Banned Hockey9019 has a reputation beyond repute Hockey9019 has a reputation beyond repute Hockey9019 has a reputation beyond repute Hockey9019 has a reputation beyond repute Hockey9019 has a reputation beyond repute Hockey9019 has a reputation beyond repute Hockey9019 has a reputation beyond repute Hockey9019 has a reputation beyond repute Hockey9019 has a reputation beyond repute Hockey9019 has a reputation beyond repute Hockey9019 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Not bad, but just immagine how many people are actually going for that position

Verified LEO
    Not bad, but just immagine how many people are actually going for that position
    I'm a fairly confident person. The website states they're not currently hiring, but accepting applications. I might look further into it.
    What Would Norm Do?

basher52 is offline Veteran Member basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MP_Steve View Post
    I'm presently employed as a full-time police officer.

I was in the reserve as an MP, hence my screen name.

Please clarify, you are a full time PO, but are looking to take a step down to the DoE job? Is the reason being, your current pay level is low? There are plenty of LEO jobs across the country that pay what the DoE is paying and then some. You are 22 yrs old and a fully certified PO, you are very marketable. The DoE job is something I'd would be interested in (after 28yrs on) as a retirement gig.

Verified LEO
    Please clarify, you are a full time PO, but are looking to take a step down to the DoE job? Is the reason being, your current pay level is low? There are plenty of LEO jobs across the country that pay what the DoE is paying and then some. You are 22 yrs old and a fully certified PO, you are very marketable. The DoE job is something I'd would be interested in (after 28yrs on) as a retirement gig.
    There are other agencies I've been looking into. Not just this one thing.

I'm looking in the south Florida area, particularly the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department. I've rode with them, and it's a great place, with great officers.

I've only been sworn for four months, so I'm probably going to stay here for atleast a total of a year or two before moving on.
    What Would Norm Do?

fallingdown is offline Junior Member fallingdown has a reputation beyond repute fallingdown has a reputation beyond repute fallingdown has a reputation beyond repute fallingdown has a reputation beyond repute fallingdown has a reputation beyond repute fallingdown has a reputation beyond repute fallingdown has a reputation beyond repute fallingdown has a reputation beyond repute fallingdown has a reputation beyond repute fallingdown has a reputation beyond repute fallingdown has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MP_Steve View Post
    There are other agencies I've been looking into. Not just this one thing.

I'm looking in the south Florida area, particularly the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department. I've rode with them, and it's a great place, with great officers.

I've only been sworn for four months, so I'm probably going to stay here for atleast a total of a year or two before moving on.
    Good thinking Steve. You are in a very enviable position at 22 with so many options open to you. It seems you are mature enough to handle it though.

Just a thought on that NTS position. I spent two months training there when I was in the army, at a place called Mercury Base. I have to say that the only perk was the proximity to Vegas. Besides that, I personally would not work/live out there for any extended time period for less than 100k a year. The place is a God-awful desert. Of course if you like that type of setting then it's no problem. It did have a sort of cool "X-Files" feeling to it.

Lawson is offline Corrections Officer Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
    I imagine it would be much like your position on Kwaj. A private company with a police services contract.

You'd probably have a good in on that position if you wanted it. I personally think it looks a little boring.
    Officer Tina Griswold, EOW 11-29-2009

Rest in peace.

smcc360 is offline Puts the 'Duh' in DUSM smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Looks like an okay retirement gig.
    "There is only one basic human right: the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty: the duty to take the consequences."
    -P. J. O'Rourke

Lawson is offline Corrections Officer Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Lawson has a reputation beyond repute
    Id also have to check, but I think Alutiiq also has some sort of connection to Wackenhut.
    Officer Tina Griswold, EOW 11-29-2009

Rest in peace.

Johnson1187 is offline Junior Member Johnson1187 is on a distinguished road
    My father and a couple of buddies work for Wackenhut at SRS near Augusta, Ga. That is also a DOE contract so I would assume it is very similar to the OP's place. They have a traffic division and a SRT team. From what I hear the training is pretty serious, so I don't think it's a step down giving the pay, benefits and training. Having said that, my dad has told me about plenty of sworn officers switching over to Wackenhut only to figure out that they don't like the slow monotonous days.

Niteryder315 is offline Junior Member Niteryder315 is on a distinguished road
    I work for Wackenhut...which is now RSS (Regulated Security Services). I work at Seabrook Station (the ONLY nuclear power plant in NH). I've been with the company for almost 4 years and can't really complain. However, many of my colleages tend to complain quite often. None of us can complain about the pay though...it's easy work with almost to much down time. With OT I cleared 70k last year...as an Officer too! The only thing that really sucks is the NRC's new policy to take effect by, I believe, October of this year regarding OT. It basically states that we can't exceed 48 hours in a given work week. For some Officers that is good news, but for myself it isn't. Yes, the training is above and beyond. Most local law enforcement agencies will admit that our training and "trigger time" is more frequent and a lot more in-depth.
    Last edited by Niteryder315; 06-26-09 at 04:51 PM.

16. This ad will disappear if you login

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast