Mmm... I guess I better throw away that 10-year-old box of Aunt Jemima sitting in my cupboard...
POSTED: 10:43 am CDT June 16, 2006
UPDATED: 10:59 am CDT June 16, 2006
DALLAS -- Eating outdated pancake mix could be fatal, health officials in South Carolina said.
They said a 19-year-old who suffered from a mold allergy died because of an allergic reaction to pancake mix that was two years old.
Parkland Emergency Medicine Dr. Paul Pepe said the danger arises when mold spores grow on stale pancake mix.
"If a person, an individual, has specific allergy to certain molds, then this could be something that could not only be, make them real sick, it could actually be lethal in certain cases," Pepe said.
The cause of death, he said, can be anaphylaxis, or swelling that occurs in the lungs, throat, face, skin, lips and tongue, as well as "dramatic breathing problems."
Experts advise consumers to avoid pancake mix that has a strange smell or taste. They also said that mix sold in a cardboard box and that is not sealed in wrapping is more likely to be exposed to mold spores.
"A lot of the molds that might develop in a pancake mix, for example, are more likely to be things that are kind of like bread molds or wheat molds that may occur. It's more likely to happen in an environment that may have exposure to humidity or dampness," Pepe said.