Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RO56 is offline Knows illegal ninja moves RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute RO56 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

MI State Trooper ACQUITTED on ALL CHARGES!

It's about time Wayne County did SOMETHING right :rolleyes:

Verdict Reached In Controversial Shooting By Trooper
    Thu Jan 5, 3:25 PM ET

A Michigan State Police trooper was acquitted Thursday in the fatal shooting of a homeless man last April.

Trooper Jay Morningstar was charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter in the death of Eric Williams , according to Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy. The felony charges could have resulted in a maximum penalty of life in prison.

A 12-member jury found Morningstar not guilty on all counts at the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice in Detroit Thursday, according to the prosecutor's office.

"We always thought the jury needed to hear and decide the facts. We are obviously disappointed by this verdict. This case is a stark reminder that no one is above the law," said Worthy.

Williams, 40, was shot and killed outside the New Detroiter Bar at East Fort and Beaubian near Greektown in Detroit on April 14, the station reported.

State police said the shooting happened about 12:30 a.m. after troopers responded to assist Detroit police, who had been dispatched to the bar on a disturbance call involving Williams.

When police arrived at the scene, Williams began to walk toward troopers with his pants at his knees, and would not stop when he was told, according to Local 4 reports.

Police said Williams was unarmed and intoxicated.

Williams' family disputed the claims by Michigan State Police.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wdiv/20060105/lo_wdiv/3163763

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us."

Apollo8138 is offline Veteran Member Apollo8138 has a reputation beyond repute Apollo8138 has a reputation beyond repute Apollo8138 has a reputation beyond repute Apollo8138 has a reputation beyond repute Apollo8138 has a reputation beyond repute Apollo8138 has a reputation beyond repute Apollo8138 has a reputation beyond repute Apollo8138 has a reputation beyond repute Apollo8138 has a reputation beyond repute Apollo8138 has a reputation beyond repute Apollo8138 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Justice has been served. Hope the trooper gets back to work soon.

7mmMag is offline Metalocalypse!!!!!!!!!!!! 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Ok, the guy is drunk, has his pants around his ankles, is unarmed, and is walking towards officers when he gets shot. Whats the rest of the story please?

Quote Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
    I love everyone's wieners...

DB839282 is offline I'm not serious. DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute
    7mm- the man was coming toward the trooper with a brick, pretty sure of it. That was the big thing, I thought a brick was considered a deadly weapon.

DC Law- Well, she is in Wayne County where the majority are black. White officer(s) kill a black man, of course she will prosecute. She wants those votes. (or however she stays in office, I know they are elected in someway)

I'm not racists, but I live near Detroit and that really is the way it is.

7mmMag is offline Metalocalypse!!!!!!!!!!!! 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute 7mmMag has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by DB839282
    7mm- the man was coming toward the trooper with a brick, pretty sure of it. That was the big thing, I thought a brick was considered a deadly weapon.

DC Law- Well, she is in Wayne County where the majority are black. White officer(s) kill a black man, of course she will prosecute. She wants those votes. (or however she stays in office, I know they are elected in someway)

I'm not racists, but I live near Detroit and that really is the way it is.
    Carrying a brick, yes, that changes things.

Quote Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
    I love everyone's wieners...

cruzmisl is offline Mother of God! cruzmisl has a reputation beyond repute cruzmisl has a reputation beyond repute cruzmisl has a reputation beyond repute cruzmisl has a reputation beyond repute cruzmisl has a reputation beyond repute cruzmisl has a reputation beyond repute cruzmisl has a reputation beyond repute cruzmisl has a reputation beyond repute cruzmisl has a reputation beyond repute cruzmisl has a reputation beyond repute cruzmisl has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Funny how the guy was homeless but now his "family" has something to say and are hanging around like vultures. I can see the civil lawsuit already........greedy turds.

DB839282 is offline I'm not serious. DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute DB839282 has a reputation beyond repute
    Well I cant find anything about the brick, but thats what I have heard from a few troopers and officers.

Radical Jack is offline Never surrender!!! Radical Jack has a reputation beyond repute Radical Jack has a reputation beyond repute Radical Jack has a reputation beyond repute Radical Jack has a reputation beyond repute Radical Jack has a reputation beyond repute Radical Jack has a reputation beyond repute Radical Jack has a reputation beyond repute Radical Jack has a reputation beyond repute Radical Jack has a reputation beyond repute Radical Jack has a reputation beyond repute Radical Jack has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Law
    Kym Worthy built her career on cop-hating and cop-persecuting by maniacally going after Detroit Police Officers Larry Nevers and Walter Budzyn back in the early 1990s'. She played the race card over and over again and rode the groundswell of support from certain sections of the community right on up into an elected judgeship. :mad:
    Amen to that. We all were high fiving each other at work when we heard about the acquittal.

Jay7376 is offline Veteran Member Jay7376 has a reputation beyond repute Jay7376 has a reputation beyond repute Jay7376 has a reputation beyond repute Jay7376 has a reputation beyond repute Jay7376 has a reputation beyond repute Jay7376 has a reputation beyond repute Jay7376 has a reputation beyond repute Jay7376 has a reputation beyond repute Jay7376 has a reputation beyond repute Jay7376 has a reputation beyond repute Jay7376 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Wow...its great to hear that Trooper Morningstar was acquitted...:D

michiganstud is offline exhumed from the grave michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Good deal.

"ching ching, pull it over buddy. You're under arrest...get in the basket." ~ Super Six 5

DolphinTattoos is offline Veteran Member DolphinTattoos has a reputation beyond repute DolphinTattoos has a reputation beyond repute DolphinTattoos has a reputation beyond repute DolphinTattoos has a reputation beyond repute DolphinTattoos has a reputation beyond repute DolphinTattoos has a reputation beyond repute DolphinTattoos has a reputation beyond repute DolphinTattoos has a reputation beyond repute DolphinTattoos has a reputation beyond repute DolphinTattoos has a reputation beyond repute DolphinTattoos has a reputation beyond repute
    http://www.leldf.org/newsletters/fall2005-p2.html

For the first time in history, a Michigan State Trooper has been charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter in the death of a violent man who threatened him. Trooper Jay Morningstar, responding to a 911 call from “The Detroiter” tavern in the Greektown area of Detroit at 12:30 a.m. on April 14, was approached by an aggressive man. Officer Morningstar and his female partner, Officer Theresa Malone, got out of his cruiser. Officer Morningstar shouted to the suspect, Eric Williams, “Police! Raise your hands and stop.”

Williams ignored the order and kept coming toward them with his hand under his jacket. His gestures were threatening, and it appeared that he was hiding a weapon. A video taken of the incident shows that he was acting irrationally and that the police officers appeared to be in danger.

It was a moment of truth. In a split second Officer Morningstar had to decide: Is this man armed and will my partner and I be his victims? When Williams was just a few feet away, Officer Morningstar, fearing that he would be shot, fired one shot at Williams. That shot killed him instantly.

Eric Williams had a lengthy police record: 147 encounters with police, including 27 incidents in which he was violent. The 40-year-old black man was a panhandler who lived on the street. He was known to become violent after drinking. That night he had been on a drunken rampage, throwing a chair in the bar and a brick when outside the tavern. At the time of his death, he was legally drunk and had cocaine in his system as well.

Mr. Williams was unarmed. However, this does not affect the legitimacy of Officer Morningstar’s reaction to the danger he faced.

Williams’ family has filed a multi-million dollar law suit for wrongful death. The District Attorney of Wayne County, Kym Worthy, who also was responsible for indicting and convicting other officers involved in similar incidents, has indicted Officer Morningstar on two charges. One is manslaughter without malice, which carries a penalty of 15 years; the other is second-degree murder, which carries a life sentence. The situation has become highly charged with accusations of racism against Officer Morningstar, making it difficult for his case to be judged in a fair and dispassionate manner.

According to The Detroit News, Sgt. Mike Herendeen, president of the Michigan State Police Troopers Association, said that Officer Morningstar had no choice but to shoot Williams: “Williams approached Morningstar in a threatening manner and ignored commands to stop and show his hands. If he [Williams] had been armed, he would have had basically a point-blank shot at Trooper Morningstar. I can’t image what the prosecutor expected (him) to do,” Herendeen said.

The jury at the upcoming trial will need to determine if the use of force was justified.

chiefhuntr is offline Not a Vegetarian chiefhuntr has a reputation beyond repute chiefhuntr has a reputation beyond repute chiefhuntr has a reputation beyond repute chiefhuntr has a reputation beyond repute chiefhuntr has a reputation beyond repute chiefhuntr has a reputation beyond repute chiefhuntr has a reputation beyond repute chiefhuntr has a reputation beyond repute chiefhuntr has a reputation beyond repute chiefhuntr has a reputation beyond repute chiefhuntr has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO

wow

Man Im glad the jury saw through all the crap and this trooper can go back to protecting and serving.

Verified LEO
    Guys,
    It amazes me when I continue to read stories of officers getting indicted on good shoots. About a month ago an APD officer was indicted on murder charges from a shooting that happened 3 years ago. Some perp had a car full of drugs and knew the officers walking up on him were going to bust him soo he decided to run over one of the officers. The officer fired and killed the suspect. 3 years later he is indicted and jailed???????? WTF?
    The strangest thing of all is that the Grand Jury in Fulton County ususally only takes 5min-20min to indict somene and it took them 10 hours on his case. Something smells. I hate that I work in Fulton County and I pray I dont have to kill anyone while I work here.
    Last edited by Granite; 01-09-06 at 03:33 AM.

jobon is offline Death to Mumia Jamal! jobon has a reputation beyond repute jobon has a reputation beyond repute jobon has a reputation beyond repute jobon has a reputation beyond repute jobon has a reputation beyond repute jobon has a reputation beyond repute jobon has a reputation beyond repute jobon has a reputation beyond repute jobon has a reputation beyond repute jobon has a reputation beyond repute jobon has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    It almost makes you NOT to want to do your job. It makes me sick that after an incident, these liberals play Monday Morning Quarterback being critical on what an officer has a split second to react. They disect every action, going over evey peice of paperwork over months and months of scrutiny. BAstards.

TattoodDucky is offline Beware the Ducky! TattoodDucky has a reputation beyond repute TattoodDucky has a reputation beyond repute TattoodDucky has a reputation beyond repute TattoodDucky has a reputation beyond repute TattoodDucky has a reputation beyond repute TattoodDucky has a reputation beyond repute TattoodDucky has a reputation beyond repute TattoodDucky has a reputation beyond repute TattoodDucky has a reputation beyond repute TattoodDucky has a reputation beyond repute TattoodDucky has a reputation beyond repute
    A multi-million dollar lawsuit brought by the same family that didn't want to house their violent, drunken cocaine user. :rolleyes: Watch them claim loss of income and emotional distress. :mad:
    The only difference between bravery and stupidity is timing.

`\\
    <` )__/\
    (3--(__ )

16. This ad will disappear if you login