Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MikeG is online now Veteran Member MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Quote Originally Posted by ET109 View Post
    The dispatchers where I work would flip if we had anyone but sworn personnel using the radios (exceptions: CSOs, parking enforcement etc when necessary). It's bad enough for them to have to deal with those of us that are not terribly experienced ourselves without putting other people on the air. I'm sure it is different at other agencies with more radio airspace.
    I'm not a LEO but I have had the opportunity to listen (not talk) to the calls. Everyone is very professional and calm. What's strange and foreign to me is that even though the talkers are calm, there are certain calls/situations where it's clear to every officer (and lost on the untrained listener) that are more tense than others. It's suddenly expected that everyone clear the channel so the person in the situation doesn't get stepped on or have to wait for someone else to stop talking. it's apparently part of the learning process to be able to recognize it without being told. I think if I were a LEO, I'd be getting lots of text messages from sgts to stay off the radio. Probably the dispatchers too.
    Captain Frank Drebin,
    "Hello. I'm Lieutenant Drebin,Detective Sergeant,Police Squad."

"Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses."

Jay: All right, I'm in. But there's one thing you gotta remember: You chose me..so you recognized the skills, so I don't want nobody calling me son or kid or sport or nothing like that, cool?
    Kay: Cool, whatever you say, slick, but I need to tell you something about all your skills. As of right now, they mean precisely..d**k.

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSLocklear View Post
    My post gets to use them for Ride Alongs, provided we know the codes. It saves the Officer time when he has an Explorer to handle the radio.
    The key there is you have permission. Here, it's up to the officer in the car, but most don't care for it.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

ET109 is online now Veteran Member ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute ET109 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    On the East Coast, shaking sand outta my boots...
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    I'm not a LEO but I have had the opportunity to listen (not talk) to the calls. Everyone is very professional and calm. What's strange and foreign to me is that even though the talkers are calm, there are certain calls/situations where it's clear to every officer (and lost on the untrained listener) that are more tense than others. It's suddenly expected that everyone clear the channel so the person in the situation doesn't get stepped on or have to wait for someone else to stop talking. it's apparently part of the learning process to be able to recognize it without being told. I think if I were a LEO, I'd be getting lots of text messages from sgts to stay off the radio. Probably the dispatchers too.
    That's usually how it is- you can hear a slight inflection in someone's voice or a hesitation before responding that tells you that the call takes priority. That said, it takes time to develop that. There are constantly new guys where I work and you get the situations where one will sometimes interrupt a foot pursuit chase on the radio to call in a dog complaint... I have heard dispatchers (more often supervisors) literally yell at them to keep off the radio. Those are the moments you hope no one is listening on the scanner...

Burnout1985 is offline Junior Member Burnout1985 is infamous around these parts Burnout1985 is infamous around these parts Burnout1985 is infamous around these parts Burnout1985 is infamous around these parts Burnout1985 is infamous around these parts Burnout1985 is infamous around these parts Burnout1985 is infamous around these parts Burnout1985 is infamous around these parts Burnout1985 is infamous around these parts Burnout1985 is infamous around these parts Burnout1985 is infamous around these parts
    i use the radio often on ride-alongs especially with some guys who flat out tell me that they won't get on the radio unless i screw up and i'm to also run the licenses and fill out the reports and tickets, that being said if a supervisor tells you not to use the radio it's the end of the discussion right there. Report it to your advisor and let them decide what to do about it if there is anything that can be done. And i seem to be developing that ability somewhat ET109, i've had several times in the past year where i've just gotten a vibe from the tone of voice of an officer over the radio and then next thing their transmission cuts out and a Officer Needs Assistance call goes out on them or i hear them call out a foot pursuit or fight in progress. It takes a while to pick up but since i pay careful attention to what the officers do and have had former LEOs in the family who coach me on what to listen for and etc i seem to be a little better at it then most of the Explorers around my area. That being said when i started out a few years ago i did step on other people's transmissions once or twice, it's embarrassing as hell and i am always careful about making sure traffic is clear and nothing important is going over the airwaves before i key up now.

5. This ad will disappear if you login