Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    koreancopiniraq is offline Sandbox Veteran koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of

Florida Highway Patrol-PAT ???

Hello folks,

I am from Pa. and have about 12 years law enforcement experience from city, state, federal agencies.

I have a quick question about the Florida Highway Patrol's (PAT) Physical Abilities test.

The course is has 2 --220 yds runs--with a obstacle course and dragging a 150lb dummy to 100 feet. The passing time is 6:04--thats 6 minutes and 4 secs.

My question is for the folks either from Florida Highway Patrol or those who have already completed the test-- is this--what is the "skinny" about this test?

To me--it seems like the course has a fast time limit and from viewing the photos of the men and women already in the academy or the ones who have graduated-- I have a hard time believing that some of them really passed the course-- They looked overweight.

Please--any serious info would be greatly appreciated.

CPDboi is offline Junior Member CPDboi is infamous around these parts CPDboi is infamous around these parts CPDboi is infamous around these parts CPDboi is infamous around these parts
    If you're in any kind of shape at all you'll pass with time to spare. I saw a guy from the Detroit P.D. whip through it in less than four minutes. It's all about following directions and keeping up a good pace.

cntryboy0531 is offline You can't 30DF that.... cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    The agency I'm with right now uses it, and I whipped through it in four minutes and some change. It's easy, and I didn't even work too much to finish it.

However, that test doesn't prepare for the beating your going to take in the academy. Expect 5 mile runs. That test is nothing what it's actually going to be like once you get in.
    "I would rather my boss give me a butt kicking for being over the top than a eulogy for not being thorough!" ~~~~~ Aussie George

"It's an American police station. Guns are easier to find than a working stapler." ~~~~~ smcc366

koreancopiniraq is offline Sandbox Veteran koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of koreancopiniraq has much to be proud of

Country

If you don't mind me asking--how old are U?

I am 38--I am in fairly good shape--but was hurt in Iraq and now rehabbing my back. I was just curious about the particulars--cause like I stated in my post-- the folks who obviously pass the PAT didn't look very fit.

Most of them look old and very overweight.

cntryboy0531 is offline You can't 30DF that.... cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by koreancopiniraq
    If you don't mind me asking--how old are U?

I am 38--I am in fairly good shape--but was hurt in Iraq and now rehabbing my back. I was just curious about the particulars--cause like I stated in my post-- the folks who obviously pass the PAT didn't look very fit.

Most of them look old and very overweight.

I'm 20, and in fairly decent shape.

I've seen some overweight people do the test and pass.
    "I would rather my boss give me a butt kicking for being over the top than a eulogy for not being thorough!" ~~~~~ Aussie George

"It's an American police station. Guns are easier to find than a working stapler." ~~~~~ smcc366

1depd is offline Veteran Member 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    To start, I've never taken it, because my agency doesn't require it. A friend who worked at the Sheriff's Office was saying if you fail it you didn't try. If I remember correctly the distance is only 1/3 of a mile. He smoked a 1-1.5 packs of cigarettes a day and said he had no problem passing it. Oh, and his idea of exercising was running to the fridge to get a beer, for a total distance of about 20 ft.

Taz_bb2 is offline Lobotomized.... Taz_bb2 has a reputation beyond repute Taz_bb2 has a reputation beyond repute Taz_bb2 has a reputation beyond repute Taz_bb2 has a reputation beyond repute Taz_bb2 has a reputation beyond repute Taz_bb2 has a reputation beyond repute Taz_bb2 has a reputation beyond repute Taz_bb2 has a reputation beyond repute Taz_bb2 has a reputation beyond repute Taz_bb2 has a reputation beyond repute Taz_bb2 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

Its an easy test

I'm 5'10, 260lbs, smoked a pack a day for 15 years (32 yrs old), and never exercised before the academy. 5 days into the academy we ran the PAT, and my time was 5:38. After 30 days of exercise and running, I dropped it to 4:15. I just took the PAT for a local Sheriff's Office, and even though I hadn't exercised since the academy, I still ran it in 4:47.

You can ALMOST walk the course. The secret is to take off on a leisurely jog for the first 220. The dummy drag will zap whatever energy reserves you have left. The final obstacles and 220 run is sheer determination to finish.

We even had a 57 yr old guy in our class, and HE finished under 5 minutes with 2 blown knees. That was motivation enough for me.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Peace until provocation...then give them hell.
    Give me Liberty or give me death
    Thomas Jefferson - For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well organized and armed militia is their best security.

Fla-- PAT Test?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info.

But--one more request--If you can find out? I need details.

Because--all the questions pertain to this--the way the course is set up and the time limit--doesn't match up.

Also-- consider this--go to Fla Highway patrol website and take a look at some of the fatbodies. After seeing this--I have no doubt in mind that some of them could not pass it--but they did.

What gives?

Nole795 is offline Human Iguana Nole795 has a reputation beyond repute Nole795 has a reputation beyond repute Nole795 has a reputation beyond repute Nole795 has a reputation beyond repute Nole795 has a reputation beyond repute Nole795 has a reputation beyond repute Nole795 has a reputation beyond repute Nole795 has a reputation beyond repute Nole795 has a reputation beyond repute Nole795 has a reputation beyond repute Nole795 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    The PAT test is easy, you wont have a difficult time with that, but the FHP academy seems to be hard core. At least it was 7 years ago. I remember seeing the troops running at 5AM approx. and they were miles away from the academy. It was very boot camp.

Good luck.
    Eunice: A .22? Oh you've gotta be kidding me. That's like bringing a knife to a gunfight.
    Detective Greenly: Yeah, or bringing a really small gun... to a gunfight.

Boondock Saint II

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Nole795
    The PAT test is easy, you wont have a difficult time with that, but the FHP academy seems to be hard core. At least it was 7 years ago. I remember seeing the troops running at 5AM approx. and they were miles away from the academy. It was very boot camp.

Good luck.

Yeah, about the same as mine. 5 mile runs in the morning... God that was pain. Glad I don't have to do it again. :D

fliptopwillie is offline Junior Member fliptopwillie is on a distinguished road

I just took the FHP PAT on saturday. It really doesn't look like a lot of time to do all of the stuff they say you have to do, but trust me, it's plenty. I was pretty worried about it too, but i finished in under 4 minutes. I'm 25 years old, 5'9", 187 and not in the best shape I've even been in. The main thing is to just keep your momentum going and you'll do fine.

Rad Diver is offline Who's yer daddy? Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Do you want to go with FHP because you like traffic, drug interdiction, and/or working traffic crashes?

My county sheriff's office (in Florida), like most I believe, doesn't work crashes. Well, we work simple fender benders (large county + 4 troopers doesn't add up, so I do what I can to help). But, we do traffic and some interdiction work (manpower issues).

If it is Florida's retirement system there is also the DOT and county sheriff's offices, with most are all using the Florida retirement system.

I"m not knocking troopers, I personally know alot of them and know how hard they get their butts kicked during rainy days, fires, and during rush hours. Hence why I work the simple crashes. When a trooper buddy of mine and I are both slow, we will work together.
    Drive it, Like you stole it!!

XZiler8r is offline Graduate 12/13 - Academy! XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute
    Yeah, I start the academy (the one TAz went to) in 1 week exactly, and that sunday after the 1st week we're going to do a pre-PAT course and run it.. Ill see waht I can get and post it

Specs:

5'8"
    240 (used to be around 270ish 3 months ago)
    been running 3 miles every other day at least

Verified LEO
    The PAT test is ridiculously easy- I know an instructor who ran through the whole thing in about 3 and a half minutes with a lit cigarette in his mouth the whole time. Dont sweat it in the least.....
    When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for Chuck Norris

XZiler8r is offline Graduate 12/13 - Academy! XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute XZiler8r has a reputation beyond repute
    It wasn't that bad. I did it this morning, did it in 5:20, I'm hoping to get to 4:30 in 4 weeks when its our REAL PAT.. today was just a practice

16. This ad will disappear if you login