Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    pmfc is offline Veteran Member pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute

Officer Matt Redding (Rocklin, CA)

Rocklin Police Officer Struck and Killed by Alleged Drunk Driver
    Written for the web by Bob Montgomery, Internet News Producer

Officers with the Rocklin Police Department are stunned by the death of one of their own in an early morning traffic crash that allegedly involved a drunk driver.

Officer Matt Redding, 29, was directing vehicles around a California Highway Patrol traffic stop on northbound Highway 65 just south of Stanford Ranch Road when he was struck and fatally injured. According to police, a vehicle driven by 25-year-old Eric Dungan plowed into the officer without making any effort to stop. Dungan was arrested shortly after the collision and charged with felony hit-and-run and driving under the influence.

Following the crash Redding was flown by helicopter ambulance to Sutter Roseville Hospital, but doctors there were unable to save him.

"It doesn't matter who it is whose injured or killed in a drunk driving accident, it's a horrible tragedy," said Rocklin Police Chief Mark Siemens. "This incident, where we've lost one of our own, is even more hurtful."

Rocklin police are working with the victim's family to figure out when services will be held. Redding leaves behind his parents, a brother and a girlfriend.

link

kevin_in_Norcal is offline Junior Member kevin_in_Norcal is on a distinguished road
    And can you believe this guy is out on bail? Am I crazy to think this guy should not have been given an opportunity for bail?

Kevin

Old Trooper is offline Old like fine wine! Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    My buddy is CHP and was one of the guys that grabbed that scumbag! Pity he went easily.....

Prayers for Officer Redding and his family.
    CHARACTER is what you do when no one is watching....

pmfc is offline Veteran Member pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute pmfc has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Trooper
    My buddy is CHP and was one of the guys that grabbed that scumbag! Pity he went easily.....

Prayers for Officer Redding and his family.
    I remember hearing something on the scanner that night about "officer down", but since I can't pick up Placer CHP that well I never found out what happened until this news article came out.

My condolences to Officer Redding's family :( .

Here is a follow-up news story:

Lincoln Man Charged in Collision That Killed Police Officer
    Written for the web by Elizabeth Bishop, Internet News Producer

The Lincoln man today expressed extreme sorrow over the crash that killed Rocklin Police Officer Matt Redding (shown above).

Eric Dungan, 25, is accused of striking and killing 29-year-old Officer Matt Redding early Sunday morning. Dungan told News10's Mark Hedlund he had been out with some friends and was on his way home when he allegedly hit the officer. He said thought he'd hit a sign and didn't realize it was a person.

"I'm sorry to all the families and everybody that knew him and I apologize," said a remorseful Dungan. "It was an accident and I didn't see him."

Police say Dungan was driving under the influence when the crash occurred. Redding was picking up cones following a felony traffic stop on Highway 65 near Stanford Ranch Road when he was struck. Police said it appeared Dungan made no attempt to stop. He was arrested after a short pursuit.

Dungan is charged with gross vehicular manslaughter, felony hit-and-run and felony drunk driving. He was freed when he posted $150,000 bail.

Dungan grew up in Riverside and served in the Air Force for six years, performing structural maintenance on aircraft at Beale Air Force Base. He was discharged several months ago and has been going to school.

A News10 investigation into Dungan's background revealed no history of criminal activity or prior significant driving violations.

Source

Another news story:

Rocklin Family Grieving Death of Officer Son
    Written for the web by C. Johnson, Internet News Producer

A Rocklin police officer's heartbroken family is struggling to deal with the death of their son and brother. Twenty-nine-year-old Matthew Redding was killed while assisting on a traffic stop early Sunday morning.

Redding was removing traffic cones along Highway 65 near Stanford Ranch Road after a felony traffic stop when he was struck by a pickup truck heading northbound. Redding was transported to Sutter Roseville Medical Center, but medical personnel couldn't save him.

The grieving Reddings expressed their pride in the young officer. "We think so much of him," said John Redding, his father. "We were so blessed to have him for the time we had him, such a special individual."

Redding served for four years in the Rocklin Police Department. His father said he was completely dedicated to his profession. "He had a love for his work. He was totally committed to being the best he could be when he was there," said the elder Redding.

The driver of the truck didn't stop but was captured after a short pursuit. Eric Dungan, 25, of Lincoln has been charged with felony hit-and run, gross vehicular manslaughter and driving-under-the-influence. He is free on $150,000 bail.

"I think he made a mistake," said the officer's mother, Marilyn Redding. "I feel bad for him because his life is ruined, probably his mother and dad's too, and our life is ruined too."

The Rocklin community is also feeling the loss. Before Matthew Redding became a police officer he worked at the local Bel Air Market. Since Sunday evening many have stopped by police headquarters to lay flowers and write messages at the luminaria memorial. "He really made an impact on our lives," said Rocklin resident Christie Morrow, who had met the officer a few times. "He was a genuinely nice person."

Redding leaves behind his parents, a brother and a girlfriend who he was planning on asking to marry him, according to his mother.

Funeral services for the officer are scheduled for Friday, 10 a.m. at Adventure Christian Church, 6401 Stanford Ranch Road in Roseville. Graveside services will be private.

Source

Welpe is offline Trying...to break free... Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute Welpe has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Jackass
    "It was an accident and I didn't see him."
    Accident my ***, you chose to drive while intoxicated, *******.

God keep Officer Redding and bless his family, friends and the Rocklin Police Department. :(
    "Cheshire Puss," she began, rather timidly... "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
    "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
    "I don't much care where..." said Alice.
    "Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

The latest news story:

Lincoln Man Expresses Remorse Over Death of Police Officer
    Written for the web by Elizabeth Bishop, Internet News Producer

A Lincoln man allegedly involved in a hit-and-run crash that killed a Rocklin police officer spoke to News10 reporter Mark Hedlund on Monday, expressing sorrow over the crash.

Eric Dungan, 25, is accused of striking and killing 29-year-old Officer Matt Redding in the predawn hours of Sunday morning. Dungan told Hedlund he had been out with some friends and was on his way home when he allegedly hit the officer.

Dungan said he didn't realize he'd struck Redding. "I thought I hit maybe a sign or something, I wasn't really sure," he said.

Police say Dungan was driving under the influence when the crash occurred. Redding was picking up cones following a felony traffic stop on Highway 65 near Stanford Ranch Road when he was struck. Police said it appeared Dungan made no attempt to stop. He was arrested after a short pursuit.

According to police, a preliminary report on Dungan's blood alcohol level shows he was at twice the 0.08 legal limit, at around 0.16. During the interview with Hedlund, Dungan denied being under the influence. "I felt like I was fine and I was, I don't know," he said. "I just didn't see him."

He went on to express remorse at the death of the officer. "I'm sorry to all the families and everybody that knew him and I apologize," he said. "It was an accident."

Dungan is charged with gross vehicular manslaughter, felony hit-and-run and felony drunk driving. He was freed when he posted $150,000 bail.

Dungan grew up in Riverside and served in the Air Force for six years, performing structural maintenance on aircraft at Beale Air Force Base. He was discharged several months ago and has been going to school.

A News10 investigation into Dungan's background revealed no history of criminal activity or prior significant driving violations.

Dungan could face up to five years in state prison if convicted of the charges against him.

Source

Vigil held at Rocklin PD:

Rocklin Police Remember Fellow Officer with Vigil

The Rocklin Police Department held a vigil Tuesday night for Officer Matthew Redding, who was killed by an alleged drunk driver Sunday morning while assisting on a traffic stop.

Since the Rocklin community learned of the young officer's death, hundreds of remembrances in the form of flowers, balloons, and written messages on luminaries have been left at the department's parking lot.

Rocklin resident Cindy Robinson didn't know the 29-year-old Redding but still feels the loss. She stopped by the department earlier in the day to pay her respects. "He was part of the community," she said. "He was protecting my children along with every other officer here and even though we didn't know him, I just think the effort that they all give [should be acknowledged]."

Redding had been a Rocklin police officer for four years. He was removing traffic cones from a felony traffic stop on northbound Highway 65 near Stanford Ranch Road when he was struck by a pickup truck. The officer was taken by air ambulance to Sutter Roseville Medical Center, but medical personnel couldn't save him.

The driver of the truck didn't stop but was captured after a short pursuit. Eric Dungan, 25, of Lincoln has been charged with felony hit-and run, gross vehicular manslaughter and driving-under-the-influence. He is free on $150,000 bail.

Redding leaves behind his parents, a brother and a girlfriend who he was planning on asking to marry him, according to his mother.

The governor has ordered flags at the State Capitol to fly at half-staff in Redding's honor.

Funeral services for the officer are scheduled for Friday, 10 a.m. at Adventure Christian Church, 6401 Stanford Ranch Road in Roseville. Graveside services will be private.

Source

richjorg is offline CA Correctional Officer richjorg has a reputation beyond repute richjorg has a reputation beyond repute richjorg has a reputation beyond repute richjorg has a reputation beyond repute richjorg has a reputation beyond repute richjorg has a reputation beyond repute richjorg has a reputation beyond repute richjorg has a reputation beyond repute richjorg has a reputation beyond repute richjorg has a reputation beyond repute richjorg has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Tragic. I lived and worked in Rocklin for a while. Very professional PD there.

RIP Officer and may God be with your family and friends.

sirlance530 is offline Junior Member sirlance530 is on a distinguished road

Unhappy To honor Officer M. Redding

I did not know Officer Redding personally, but I know several people who did. And none of them have EVER had a negative word about him. It was a horrible tragedy that rocked our little town and I actually pass by that spot he was struck everyday. My prayers go out to the Redding family. I know it has been 2 years, but the pain is eternal. And to all the other officers that have gone down protecting the people of these United States, I hang my head in thanks and admiration, and hope that I am as brave as all of you were in my law enforcement career.

Cat_Doc is offline No Sugarcoating Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Eric Dungan was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison in an Auburn courtroom Thursday for the second-degree murder of Rocklin Police Officer Matt Redding, who was killed in 2005 during a traffic stop.

http://www.placerherald.com/articles...s/01dungan.txt
    "No one is compelled to choose the profession of a police officer, but having chosen it, everyone is obligated to perform its duties and live up to the high standards of its requirements." ~ President Calvin Coolidge

“The nobility of policing demands the noblest of character.” ~ Dr. Stephen R. Covey

Aussie George is offline Verified Street Sweeper Aussie George has a reputation beyond repute Aussie George has a reputation beyond repute Aussie George has a reputation beyond repute Aussie George has a reputation beyond repute Aussie George has a reputation beyond repute Aussie George has a reputation beyond repute Aussie George has a reputation beyond repute Aussie George has a reputation beyond repute Aussie George has a reputation beyond repute Aussie George has a reputation beyond repute Aussie George has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pmfc View Post
    Another news story:

Rocklin Family Grieving Death of Officer Son

"I think he made a mistake," said the officer's mother, Marilyn Redding. "I feel bad for him because his life is ruined, probably his mother and dad's too, and our life is ruined too."

Source
    The drunk driver made quite a few mistakes. The first was drinking then driving. That was what stopped it being an "accident". Accidents happen because someone does not, or can not, foresee their actions turning out bad. This person was old enough to know that if you drink then drive, you are likely to have a collision.

Looking at the stories posted, it appears that before this collision occured, the driver was probably a good person. He was in the Air Force. He was studying at school to better himself. Then he made this most stupid mistake and the following consequences of his actions made him a criminal and killed a Police Officer.

He has fifteen plus years to think about what he did wrong in jail. And then he has the rest of his life to face the consequences of his actions.

Going from being a good person to a criminal ruining your life and a lot of lives around you can happen in a matter of minutes.

If you are reading this and you think it wouldn't happen to you and you think you can have a few drinks and get away with it....I bet he did too!!

If you get busted drink driving and think the officers charging you are a bit harsh because you are only a bit over the limit then you need to grow up and get a grip on reality.

A bit over the limit is like saying I only broke the law a littel bit and was only a little bit of a criminal.

To use the Victorian (Australia) drink drive slogan -

Drink and drive and you're a bloody idiot!!!:mad:

RIP Officer Redding
    "He didn't want to tell the cop he was on his way to the Butt Pirate Palace for a little two-step with Joe-Joe during the Village People marathon." - Cat_Doc
    "Cause when your hourglass runs out of sand
    You can't flip it over and start again...Don't blink..." Kenny Chesney

"Take care, never leave home on bad terms, watch your back and go home in one piece." - Aussie Nathan

"The batton in my jacket is hot like a porn actor to beat someone down." - Patchcop

14. This ad will disappear if you login