Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    R34L_D34L is offline Junior Member R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts

Swat/SRT and vehicles.

Hopefully this thread isnt so controversial, and i deleted all my former posts.

Starting fresh-
    What are the requirements in your department for swat/srt?
    And does your swat/srt team have special vehicles?

Here they are switching to the Tahoe to replace the crown vic. and charger. And you have to be out of your probation period with at least 18 months of patrol duty before you try for swat. Also have to be at least 25.

CincyCop is offline Former Cincinnati Police CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by R34L_D34L View Post
    What are the requirements in your department for swat/srt?
    And does your swat/srt team have special vehicles?
    Former CPD Patrol Officer here (2004-2006)...from what I remember the Cincinnati Police Department requires at least 3 years on from date of hire to apply for SWAT. SWAT is considered a preferred assignment at CPD and is very competitive (as are most preferred assignments). Regarding special vehicles the only thing I remember seeing while standing on a street corner in the rain with a Remington 870 Wingmaster shotgun (I could hear it rusting) was a rather large dark blue box truck.

America Runs On Dunkin'

Switchback is offline Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Most SWAT vehicles are like any other vehicle in the department/agency... they just have a SWAT guy driving them.

With that said, some departments/agencies have vans with benches in them to insert people. Others, like us, have armored vehicles for such operations, such as BEARs. We also have assault rafts (I think they are Zodiacs), ATVs, RG31s and armored big rigs with special trailers for deployments.

Now, the requirements for SWAT teams will vary greatly with each agency/department. For our national team, you need to meet the "Good" requirement on the fit test, shoot 90% on all of your firearms quals and some other really easy BS that I don't remember. With that said, that just lets you try out. The 3.5 week selection course is very militaristic and has pass/fail requirements for everything from swimming, 5 mile ruck runs, 3 mile run, defensive tactics, driving, several written exams and a whole slew of other "fun" things. We average a 30-50% graduation rate.
    We bring evil things to evil people, kicking in a door near you!

."In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But,
    in practice, there is."

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like
    an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig
    was'committed'."

-unknown

Working on a PhD in CQB one doorway at a time.

When the wolf attacks, he will find not all who run with the flock are sheep!

R34L_D34L is offline Junior Member R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts R34L_D34L is infamous around these parts
    Why were you just standing in the rain??

And Swat here is more of a "only when needed" type of thing. If you are on swat you receive colored tape for your duty pistol (color varying by level of completion/years) And you still receive normal patrol pay and are normally on patrol. But you unlike other patrol officers get a take home car and bonus pay for tending to swat calls.

Anyone on here on swat/srt? More so who if any have been to the sniper school- I want to be you lol. Hats off for making it through much less being selected

My ultimate goal is to end up with some sort of swat cert.

The possibility of doing narcotics/undercover was mentioned to me but i had to respectfully turn it down. I have tons of respect for those guys, Im not sure I could do it, definitely a nasty job.

CincyCop is offline Former Cincinnati Police CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute CincyCop has a reputation beyond repute
    Why were you just standing in the rain??
    I was ordered to do so by a Patrol Sergeant since the area was being cordoned off until SWAT arrived on scene. Unfortunately it was raining at the time.

America Runs On Dunkin'

That sucks-Im not looking forward to those days- and i know they wil come.
    "I swear to drunk Im not God"

"Uh, Im sorry officer, I didnt know I couldnt street race"

(PERP)"But those drugs arent Mine!"-
    (Officer)"THEY CAME FROM YOUR POCKET"-
    (PERP)"BUT THESE AINT MA PANTS, I JUS STOLE EM OUT THAT HOUSE!!!"

MikeG is offline Veteran Member MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    My ultimate goal is to end up with some sort of swat cert.

The possibility of doing narcotics/undercover was mentioned to me but i had to respectfully turn it down. I have tons of respect for those guys, Im not sure I could do it, definitely a nasty job.
    Yeah, I hear you you. The possibliity of being a Delta Team SEAL Commander for Seal Team 6 and above (Marine Recon division) was mentioned to me, but I to turn that down, too. I told them I was only available 24/7. 24 hours a week, 7 months a year. They just expected too much. Well that, and I hate running.

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    If you are on swat you receive colored tape for your duty pistol (color varying by level of completion/years)
    I have been in this business since 1998. I am a active member of the NY Tactical Officers Association and the National Tactical Officers Association. I go to the annual conference ever year for the last five and play/train with teams from around the states. I am also familiar with the national standards put forth. I have never heard of this and am thinking you are full of it or the tape is for something else. Either way, based on your past posts on here, and what everyone thinks, I think we should get clarification on this. What agency/municipality is doing this? I would like to call them as an firearms instructor/control tactics instructor/use of force instructor and learn. Maybe my agency is missing out on something. So before I jump the gun, please post on here what agency/municipality is doing that.

You expect us, a bunch of cops, many of whom have sit/sat on hiring boards, to believe during a hiring process interview they asked you about becoming a narcotics officer? And then you turned it downed? That is not the way it works with few exceptions. This one I will call without further investigation.....BS!

You are digging a hole sir, and interesting yourself deeper and deeper, post by post. Your veiled insults, hidden ant-cops digs, know-it-all attitude and over embellishing and quite possibly straight out lying are not going unnoticed. I am trying to help you, but you have to help yourself.
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

Whoa! Who ever said it was on a hiring board??? One of my closes friends is a narcotics officer and mentioned the possibility of me doing it- I turned it down saying it's to much stress.

I'm not making any anti cop digs, or any other lies or anything else- heck I'm in a cop car right now riding with a friend getting more experience- whatever I did to get under everyones skin here drop it- stop getting off topic to bash me about what you think you read or how you interpreted what I said- I'm not anti LE or anything of the sorts.

Seriously drop it! I apologize for the previous posts that could have been taken wron and they were deleted- again my apologies-
    Last edited by R34L_D34L; 01-15-11 at 10:00 AM.

And I will gladly without a doubt give you the number to 2 sr swat officers here and one prospect. They will gladly tell you about it.

I will not however do this until my reputation here has been cleared up.

Safety Steve is offline Respect All, Fear None Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Hey kid, I am my own SWAT Team and Sniper! That's just how I roll!

Be Safe.
    "I'M WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE"

Switchback is offline Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I was a SOG sniper for 9 years... but now I am just a has-been. My biggest fear these days is carpatunnel!
    We bring evil things to evil people, kicking in a door near you!

."In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But,
    in practice, there is."

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like
    an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig
    was'committed'."

-unknown

Working on a PhD in CQB one doorway at a time.

When the wolf attacks, he will find not all who run with the flock are sheep!

Curt581 is offline Wannabe AARP member Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute Curt581 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Whoa! Who ever said it was on a hiring board??? One of my closes friends is a narcotics officer and mentioned the possibility of me doing it- I turned it down saying it's to much stress.

I'm not making any anti cop digs, or any other lies or anything else- heck I'm in a cop car right now riding with a friend getting more experience- whatever I did to get under everyones skin here drop it- stop getting off topic to bash me about what you think you read or how you interpreted what I said- I'm not anti LE or anything of the sorts.

Seriously drop it! I apologize for the previous posts that could have been taken wron and they were deleted- again my apologies-
    From the beginning, you seemed to go out of your way to ingratiate yourself and try to impress us in how much you know about police work and police life in general. You made a post misquoting a news story, which seemed to be telling us how to do our jobs. That annoyed more than a few people here, including me. When you get a few years on the job, then you can start giving us "reminders" and telling us how many bad apples there are.

You even made a few comments, which viewed by someone who doesn't know any better, would lead one to believe you are a cop.

The first I saw was:
    How many cops actually watch cops??

... where you said "we" when discussing LEO work schedules.

The second was:
    Anyone in your family not like police officers

... where you posted about people talk garbage about cops, especially pertaining to "me".

When called out on it, a Moderator posted a demand that you explain yourself or further action would be taken. You'd better not ignore Canuckofapeach... you do so at your own peril. She don't play.

When a second Mod calls you out on another post, you say " Just drop it", as if he somehow has to take orders from you. You do not get to demand that we clear up your reputation.

To top it all off, you go back and delete all your old posts, saying "Let's start over".

Uh, no. It doesn't work that way. Deleting post is a serious no-no. There are no 'do-overs' in police work, and few enough of them here.
    Last edited by Curt581; 01-15-11 at 10:50 AM.

Safety Steve is offline Respect All, Fear None Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Well said Curt. I tried, but was unable to rep you for above post.

Be Safe.
    "I'M WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE"

16. This ad will disappear if you login