Does anyone know anything about the hazards of hydraulic fluids, i.e. inhaling the fumes and the side effects from it?
While making repairs to the elevator at work, there was a major problem. I'm not sure how it happened, but the employees were told that there was a severe leak of hydraulic fluid from the elevator.
When I walked in the building this morning, the fumes hit you as soon as you walked in, despite the huge fans the maintenance people were using to try to clear the building.
I walked up the stairs, got to my desk and within minutes, I started feeling sick; lightheaded, queasy, wheezing and a headache. Just about everyone in my dept. was experiencing the same thing.
We have 4 pregnant women on the second floor where I work and they were sent home. About 15 minutes later, there was a company wide email issued saying the building had to be evacuated because of the fumes, but to return to work at 1pm. Everyone was like, WTF??? Are they insane - there's no way the fumes will be cleared by then. Our supervisor gave us the option of not coming back, but to come into work an hour early tomorrow and Friday, which is no big deal, but we still get paid for a full day today. Personally, I feel if they're making everyone leave, we shouldn't have to be forced to come back. It makes no sense.
I'm just curious if anyone knows just how dangerous these fumes are?