Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    Kate is offline Veteran Member Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute

Hydraulic fluid hazards

Does anyone know anything about the hazards of hydraulic fluids, i.e. inhaling the fumes and the side effects from it?

While making repairs to the elevator at work, there was a major problem. I'm not sure how it happened, but the employees were told that there was a severe leak of hydraulic fluid from the elevator.

When I walked in the building this morning, the fumes hit you as soon as you walked in, despite the huge fans the maintenance people were using to try to clear the building.

I walked up the stairs, got to my desk and within minutes, I started feeling sick; lightheaded, queasy, wheezing and a headache. Just about everyone in my dept. was experiencing the same thing.

We have 4 pregnant women on the second floor where I work and they were sent home. About 15 minutes later, there was a company wide email issued saying the building had to be evacuated because of the fumes, but to return to work at 1pm. Everyone was like, WTF??? Are they insane - there's no way the fumes will be cleared by then. Our supervisor gave us the option of not coming back, but to come into work an hour early tomorrow and Friday, which is no big deal, but we still get paid for a full day today. Personally, I feel if they're making everyone leave, we shouldn't have to be forced to come back. It makes no sense.

I'm just curious if anyone knows just how dangerous these fumes are?
    "Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent."
    -Adam Smith

Strijder is offline Veteran Member Strijder has a reputation beyond repute Strijder has a reputation beyond repute Strijder has a reputation beyond repute Strijder has a reputation beyond repute Strijder has a reputation beyond repute Strijder has a reputation beyond repute Strijder has a reputation beyond repute Strijder has a reputation beyond repute Strijder has a reputation beyond repute Strijder has a reputation beyond repute Strijder has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I believe simple hydraulic fumes are generally not toxic, unless the fluid is heated or burned, but I don't routinely work with it. They do seem to recommend moving to fresh air upon inhalation. Here are a couple MSDS sheets for different fluids, but obviously it can vary based on the brand & composition used. Best bet would be to get ahold of the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the specific hydraulic fluid used and see what it says.

http://library.cbest.chevron.com/lubes/ehlsalesfax.nsf/(ChevronSearch)?SearchView&Query=hydraulic+fluid*& SearchMax=0&SearchWV=FALSE
    http://www.wfrfire.com/website/msds/msds.htm

txinvestigator1 is online now what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, you would neeed to know the exact chemical.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

KnightRider3702 is offline Resident Cranky OIF Vet KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    I work with FRH(Fire Resistant Hydraulic) fluid, that stuff is a carcinogen and prolonged exposure WILL cause cancer. The fumes can make you very sick, at least nauseous in a non ventilated area. The fumes from almost any hydraulic type fluid can manage to harm people, especially pregnant women.

Vigilante justice?....heh, makes my job slightly easier

"The lesser the paperwork, the happier I am, and I'm not happy. You shoulda killed him" - SGT "Doc" James P. Swinney, Medic, B Co. 1/64 AR, 3ID(M), OIF I

Before you debate the law with me or another officer, make sure you have a "firm" grasp of the english language and try researching it, quoting it, or something else valid instead of "Well I heard that...."

Someone needs to come up with something else witty to quote...

Zendik is offline Banned Zendik has a brilliant future Zendik has a brilliant future Zendik has a brilliant future Zendik has a brilliant future Zendik has a brilliant future Zendik has a brilliant future Zendik has a brilliant future Zendik has a brilliant future Zendik has a brilliant future Zendik has a brilliant future Zendik has a brilliant future
    Whenever I use hydraulic fluid on my Capt. Crunch I get irritable...

KnightRider3702 is offline Resident Cranky OIF Vet KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute KnightRider3702 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    perhaps a case of the "bubbly gut"?

Vigilante justice?....heh, makes my job slightly easier

"The lesser the paperwork, the happier I am, and I'm not happy. You shoulda killed him" - SGT "Doc" James P. Swinney, Medic, B Co. 1/64 AR, 3ID(M), OIF I

Before you debate the law with me or another officer, make sure you have a "firm" grasp of the english language and try researching it, quoting it, or something else valid instead of "Well I heard that...."

Someone needs to come up with something else witty to quote...

7. This ad will disappear if you login