Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    jo123 is offline Junior Member jo123 is on a distinguished road
    I am taking my test here in a few weeks. Failed the first time, but hopefully a better out come this time.

thinbluline is offline Junior Member thinbluline is on a distinguished road
    Anyone out there still in the application process for A-2014? Has anyone already received a CJO? If so I'm looking for some information on the process after the tests...The poly, oral board and BI... Thanks!

misoldier1986 is offline Junior Member misoldier1986 is on a distinguished road
    Hey all... I'm applying for the upcoming academy as well so I am on here just seeing what bit of information I can gather along the way. I've already completed and passed the written and PRT. I also just passed my poly on Sep. 5th. Waiting on a reply as of now and not quite sure how long i'll be waiting. Anyone have any insight?

Looks like we are in the same boat soldier1986, I passed my poly Aug 30th... still waiting on a reply for the next step.

Safety Steve is offline Respect All, Fear None Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Congratulations you two on completing a few steps of many.

Be Safe.
    "I'M WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE"

Thank you Safety Steve. I hope the next steps go as smoothly as the first.

misoldier1986 is offline Junior Member misoldier1986 is on a distinguished road
    Thinblu - be sure to post when you hear something! Where are you applying from? I'm here on Fort Hood, just north of Austin.

Will do. You do the same. I'm applying from Austin, region 6.

P01IC3M4N is offline Texian P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    "Friends don't let friends be Troopers."
    ---Old crusty trooper about to retire.

Wait until you get the invite with the conditional job offer to Austin. That's where they tell you all the stuff that usually turns people off to the state.

usmc0110 is offline Junior Member usmc0110 is on a distinguished road
    Po1IC3M4N,
    Or you could share your wisdom concerning the matter, so that we do not waste our or the state's time.
    I have my oral board on the 21 Oct.

P01IC3M4N is offline Texian P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute P01IC3M4N has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0110 View Post
    Po1IC3M4N,
    Or you could share your wisdom concerning the matter, so that we do not waste our or the state's time.
    I showed up with a buyer's tag on a brand new car and backed in, so it appeared I was missing a front plate. Guess who got drilled for not writing front plate tickets? They all got a good laugh out of my oral board. I could see the eight or so of them hiding their smirks.

Be picky about what office you apply out of. I lived right next to one office, but the recruiter there was an a-hole, so I drove an hour away to do all my applying. The recruiter in the other office was pretty cool.

You can get assigned anywhere in the state. When guys get out to their assigned areas, they throw out a transfer request. You'll probably sit on that for several years waiting to be moved. I know one trooper who spent seven years in Beaumont waiting for his transfer. There are so many retirees that the guys getting to good stations are fairly young and will be there a while. As long as you don't mind helping herd cattle in Crockett county, you should be fine. They'll hint at this when you go down after the conditional job offer. First, we did all the physical stuff, THEN they took us into a room and told us about the likely crap assignments. A few of us who already had police jobs lost interest immediately.

I know of a few guys who joined, then left a year or two later because the assignment sucked and the pay was way less than they were making. When I was going through the process, if you quit before a year and a half into your new duty station, you owed the troop about $2500. Oddly enough, Austin PD was offering a signing bonus of $3000. Coincidence? The pay was well below average when I was applying, and I was going to have to take a pay cut for the first eight years to do it.

If you're young and single just starting out, it's not a bad deal. It's fully of ex military guys, because they don't seem too attached to one area to begin with. I hope they didn't hire 75% of the jokers I went down with. When you see a trooper banging on his lidar gun because it won't pick up much through the windshield, you know there are some serious concerns.

cjmj26 is offline Junior Member cjmj26 is on a distinguished road
    thinblu & misoldier-
    Like you two, I am in the process as well. I had my written & PT test on 19 Sept; still waiting on further-I'm out of state, so they have the steps compressed to help cut down on trips across. Do either of you have any news on where you are in the process?

cjmj26 is offline Junior Member cjmj26 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0110 View Post
    Po1IC3M4N,
    usmc-
    When did you complete the first three steps? I'm just trying to gauge when mine might be...Thanks and good luck to all!

paintboy2000 is offline Junior Member paintboy2000 is on a distinguished road
    I just finished my background phase for the January academy, just waiting on the aproval! For those of you just starting this process; find a hobby, the wait's a killer.

11bAIRBORNE is offline Junior Member 11bAIRBORNE is on a distinguished road
    Agreed^

The application process took me 3-4 months. I just got done with my extensive background investigation and have been accepted into the January Academy. Hope to see yall there!

16. This ad will disappear if you login