Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    mckenna913 is offline lemme get this straight.. mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

NYPD MOS to Deploy

Quick question to anyone in the NYPD who may have been in a similar situation and what measures you took to resolve. Please PM me with any info you may not feel comfortable posting for whatever reason. Thanks.

Here is my dilemma:

I am currently enlisted in the Marine Reserve as well as being an active UMOS in the NYPD. My unit, stationed out of Delaware, I knew a deployment was going to happen in my first year or two being on the job, so i never transferred to a NY unit in hopes that I wouldn't be leaving my Marines to deploy without the same platoon sergeant they've had for the past year already. Regardless the deployment schedule looks like the following:

May 2-4: Monthly Drill
    May 5-9: regular work with NYPD
    May 10-28: Annual Training/Pre mobilization staging @ Quantico
    May 28: Orders cut for Mobilization
    May 29-31: regular work with NYPD
    June 1: Mobilized to active duty

The dilemma is quite simple, while I understand the process of dealing with the NYPD military and extended leave desk, this procedure is quite involved and time consuming. My timekeeper suggested doing all this before the AT (May 5-9) and than just being on indefinite leave until the deployment ends. While this would be the most convenient, the problem is that orders for said deployment won't be cut until AFTER the 3 week AT. Inherently this puts me in the predicament of needing to leave Delaware on Thursday the 28th with orders, drive back NYC, somehow get all the orders processed in 2 days, and arrive fully equipped and ready to deploy by June 1.

This unfortunately also leaves me no time to say goodbye to family and friends and take care of personal affairs (ie moving belongings into storage, etc) since I am positive the NYPD will take up the majority of those 2 days (turning in gun and shield, getting new ID issued, etc)

Help??:D
    "I love the name of honor, more than I fear death."
    Julius Caesar

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
    General George S. Patton

basher52 is offline Veteran Member basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Cut out the middle man (forum) and call the MELD @ 646 610-5513. They handle situations like yours all the time, its not new to them. Good Luck, be safe and Thanks you for your service.

mckenna913 is offline lemme get this straight.. mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute mckenna913 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I hate to admit that you're most likely correct, I guess sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else? It is a frustrating situation, I just hope everything works out fine. Thanks again!
    Julius Caesar

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
    General George S. Patton

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mckenna913 View Post
    I hate to admit that you're most likely correct....
    I don't mean to sound like thats directed at you, more like I hate to hear that dealing with MELD is what I need to do. They took 2 months to finish putting my contract into the payroll system so the military leave days for drill showed up and my timekeeper could stop complaining. But such is the process of big organizations...
    Julius Caesar

General George S. Patton

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mckenna913 View Post
    I don't mean to sound like thats directed at you, more like I hate to hear that dealing with MELD is what I need to do. They took 2 months to finish putting my contract into the payroll system so the military leave days for drill showed up and my timekeeper could stop complaining. But such is the process of big organizations...
    But BAsher is 100% right. What you may hate hearing is the truth. The MELD desk handles this all the time. Your not the first with these issues and won't be the last. I suggest you talk to your CO/XO or whoever and explain the situation at the precinct. Tell them you need to GO To MELD to do paperwork and ask to switch a tour. Then get you butt down there and put a name with your face. They are a great group of folks selected to be there by the CoP Office. They will help you if you go there and lay out your options.

You reserve command may need to write you a letter NOW stating certain things and you may need to use a vacation day or two so your not coming back for BS.
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

Kyle G is offline Senior Member Kyle G has a reputation beyond repute Kyle G has a reputation beyond repute Kyle G has a reputation beyond repute Kyle G has a reputation beyond repute Kyle G has a reputation beyond repute Kyle G has a reputation beyond repute Kyle G has a reputation beyond repute Kyle G has a reputation beyond repute Kyle G has a reputation beyond repute Kyle G has a reputation beyond repute Kyle G has a reputation beyond repute
    I am sorry guys but what is MELD? I am getting out on my first contract in the Navy so I will still owe 4 years IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve). I am considering doing Navy Reserve or Coast Guard Reserve after instead of IRR. NYPD is the main road I want to take too.

Do you get screwed/ screw other people in your dept. when you have get activated? Is doing reserves in the NYPD more of a headache? Would anyone recommend it, or reccomend against it?

//Kyle

lax854 is offline Veteran Member lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute lax854 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle G View Post
    I am sorry guys but what is MELD? I am getting out on my first contract in the Navy so I will still owe 4 years IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve). I am considering doing Navy Reserve or Coast Guard Reserve after instead of IRR. NYPD is the main road I want to take too.

Do you get screwed/ screw other people in your dept. when you have get activated? Is doing reserves in the NYPD more of a headache? Would anyone recommend it, or reccomend against it?

//Kyle
    i recommend it....any day away from the headaches that happen in that dept while gettting paid for it is well worth it

ReurceThugh is offline Junior Member ReurceThugh is on a distinguished road

***Voipswitch With Support Upto 1000 Calls And Firewall Protection From Hackers***

deleted
    Last edited by oscarmitre; 06-28-09 at 07:35 PM.

pafindr is offline Veteran Member pafindr has a reputation beyond repute pafindr has a reputation beyond repute pafindr has a reputation beyond repute pafindr has a reputation beyond repute pafindr has a reputation beyond repute pafindr has a reputation beyond repute pafindr has a reputation beyond repute pafindr has a reputation beyond repute pafindr has a reputation beyond repute pafindr has a reputation beyond repute pafindr has a reputation beyond repute
    Spammer reported
    pafindr

---------------------------------------------------
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.
    Flannery O'Connor

Some people are like Slinkeys, they make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
    -------
    In remembrance;
    Sergio G. Villanueva Firefighter
    Engine 4 - Ladder 132
    09/11/01

MP_Steve is offline Veteran Member MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute MP_Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle G View Post

//Kyle
    I just assumed from prior posts that it stood for "Military & Extended Leave Desk", a NYPD specific unit.

I'd affiliate with a Navy Reserve unit if I were you. I went into the IRR from the Army Reserve, spending about 8 months at my new job before I got the nice little letter telling me I've got some sand box time coming up. Being Navy, you might be in the clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggy View Post
    That being said, maybe they would last longer if I stopped getting them from the cemetery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey9019 View Post
    What Would Norm Do?

11. This ad will disappear if you login