Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    studentcj is offline Banned studentcj has a reputation beyond repute studentcj has a reputation beyond repute studentcj has a reputation beyond repute studentcj has a reputation beyond repute studentcj has a reputation beyond repute studentcj has a reputation beyond repute studentcj has a reputation beyond repute studentcj has a reputation beyond repute studentcj has a reputation beyond repute studentcj has a reputation beyond repute studentcj has a reputation beyond repute

Is enlisting in the military with a college degree normal?

I know with a college degree that it makes you eligble to be an officer in the military, but I was wondering if it is common for people to just enlist with a college degree. The reason I ask is because I'm currently in college and am really thinking about going to the military for a while after graduation. The university I attend has army ROTC, but I want to join the Air Force. I don't want to transfer because I like my school and so I was going to apply to OTS in my senior year. I know it is a hard thing to get into so I figured I could just enlist if I don't get in.

darrell is offline Banned darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold
    If you get your BA bachlors degree then you can go to the Air Force recruiter and he can get all the paper work together so you caan go to OCS (Officer Candidate School). I am not sure if you will have to go to regular basic or not I will have to ask my old man on that one. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Jcrazy is offline Veteran Member Jcrazy has a reputation beyond repute Jcrazy has a reputation beyond repute Jcrazy has a reputation beyond repute Jcrazy has a reputation beyond repute Jcrazy has a reputation beyond repute Jcrazy has a reputation beyond repute Jcrazy has a reputation beyond repute Jcrazy has a reputation beyond repute Jcrazy has a reputation beyond repute Jcrazy has a reputation beyond repute Jcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I went to basic with a guy who had a four year degree. He came in as an E-4.
    And your whiney *** crybaby excuse would be....

yangnome is offline It was me, yangnome
    Alot of people in my field had BAs, some even had MAs. Hell, one girl even had two MAs. Worked with people who had law degrees as well. Havent seen any PHDs as enlisted though.

EricTheBald is offline Dysfunctional Veteran EricTheBald is infamous around these parts EricTheBald is infamous around these parts EricTheBald is infamous around these parts EricTheBald is infamous around these parts EricTheBald is infamous around these parts EricTheBald is infamous around these parts EricTheBald is infamous around these parts EricTheBald is infamous around these parts EricTheBald is infamous around these parts EricTheBald is infamous around these parts EricTheBald is infamous around these parts
    The Drill Sgts are gonna have fun with you in basic though...

Hey Homer! C'mere! We got us a COLLEGE boy! :D

madpup is offline Local Vet Rep madpup
    I enlisted as an E-4 with my BA Degree in order to do the college loan repayment program. Sometimes its like Eric says. I had the 3rd highest GT score in my company so they called me the SmartAss. Ofcourse it could've been because of my sarcasm. LOL
    Go officer route. Enlist only as a last resort.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Life, housing and pay are better as an officer. Plus all the troops have to salute you first. Makes you think that you feel that you could be important.
    Creeper Cop

warjunkie37f is offline Junior Member warjunkie37f
    It's not unusual for someone to enlist with a BA, in fact, about 25% of the Army's Special Forces recruits have one. Also, I know a lot of enlisted folks who have their degrees and simply don't want to put up with the bull that goes into being an officer. Furthermore, I don't know about the Air Force, but the Army has an "up or out" policy regarding their officers. Either you make the cut to be promoted, or you're gone. Plus, as an enlisted soldier or airman, you get the opportunity to be one of the greatest things in the world: a noncommisioned officer, otherwise known simply as SERGEANT. Good luck! AIRBORNE!!

jaunt10 is offline Verified Flying Texan jaunt10 is on a distinguished road
    It is not as uncommon as you think. There are many out there with college degrees in enslisted fields. Still life as an officer will be much better and look great on any civilian job applications. I've had chiefs out there (E7s and above) under me with masters degrees. Still the best part is having people like mcsap salute you. Makes it all worth while.
    There is nothing like what I have become.

knucklehead is offline Junior Member knucklehead
    Well studentcj...

Yeah you could join the Air Force...but is that really a miltary service...hell, I think they only work 9-5...

If you want any type of challenge go see a Marine recruiter....Officer or Enlisted, it doesn't matter...

when the **** hits the fan...I would rather have a Marine Private in the fighting hole next to me than an Officer in any other service...

If your eventual goal is a career in LE...you might as well start challenging yourself now vice spending 4 years in summer camp...I mean the Air Force...

OOH RAH!!!!!

HK45cal is offline Senior Member HK45cal is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member L2
    knuckhead, they should call you bonehead..that was a really stupid thing to say I have met and played with many of deltas and rangers and few seals and ofcourse recon not to mention the other misc. GI thoughout, all just as qualified and tough as a marine private

HK45cal...

I notice you specifically stated deltas, rangers, and seals and I have much respect for them as well as the navy corpsmen that serve side by side with Marines...however they are the minority in those services. The rank and file soldier, sailor, and airmen have little if any discipline.

I am sure they are great to "play" with, but when you have to work side by side when the s%$t hits the fan you need to know that you can count on them at all times....

as the saying goes, "if the shoe fits, wear it"

yangnome is offline It was me, yangnome
    Hmm thats funny, when I was stationed joint service, it was usually the marines you couldn't count on to do the job properly.... wonder why. Oh yeah, I worked in intelligence, perhaps that had something to do with it... :rolleyes:
    Last edited by yangnome; 10-22-03 at 05:27 PM.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    USAF Air Base Ground Defense training at Camp Bullis Texas , 1981. While there for ground combat training we played night time war games against the 82 Airborne.

We ( squad) snuck into their camp in the woods, took their sentry hostage. Took all of their rifles and woke the rest one by one. The whole squad of Airborne was captured by the USAF !

We had an AF captain who wrote for the AF Times. He was cold and borrowed a 2 stripers jacket. After we had all of our prisoners in custody, one Army Sgt. was pretty mad after his Lt. chewed him out. He went over and GRABBED a certain 2 striper by the coat and threatened to beat him to a pulp. The 2 observers fired off their red flare guns signalling an emergency end to the games for the night and the Sgt. was introduced to captain _______.

Yes the USAF has their own ground troops. M-16's, M-60's, M-203 grenade launchers, claymores, trip flares, M-40 auto grenade launcher, .50 cal mg and the 81 mm mortar. All of us received training on how to use some of this weaponry. Some got just the heavy weapons while the rest got..the rest. Also we had deuces and APC.
    Creeper Cop

yangnome..

military intelligence.....if that's not an oxymoron...I don't know what is....

16. This ad will disappear if you login