Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Orleander is offline Banned Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of

Let someone die?

I read in another post that it was illegal to leave a body and not notify someone that it is there.

Is it illegal to leave someone to die. For example a child molester is running away from a victim and gets hit by a car. The driver leaves. That is illegal, but would it be illegal for people to do nothing and just watch him die?

acreature is offline Do work Son! acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    There is no OBLIGATION to save someone unless you are trained and certified to do so.

seltzer is offline Banned seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute
    Although I am not an LEO, we have something here called the Good Simaritan Law, in which case you would be breaking the law by not doing something about it (at least letting someone know-police, Rescue, etc..). Interesting to hear from verifieds on this one.

acreature is offline Do work Son! acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    There is always the Civil side in or Sue-Happy Country.

Michelles is offline Banned Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by seltzer
    Although I am not an LEO, we have something here called the Good Simaritan Law, in which case you would be breaking the law by not doing something about it (at least letting someone know-police, Rescue, etc..). Interesting to hear from verifieds on this one.

I thought the Good Samaritan law was to protect the person if they did do something.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelles
    It is against the law not to do something? I thought the Good Samaritan law was to protect the person if they did do something.
    You are correct. The Good Samaritan falls in where you attempt to help.

Star is offline Banned Star has a reputation beyond repute Star has a reputation beyond repute Star has a reputation beyond repute Star has a reputation beyond repute Star has a reputation beyond repute Star has a reputation beyond repute Star has a reputation beyond repute Star has a reputation beyond repute Star has a reputation beyond repute Star has a reputation beyond repute Star has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    The good samaritan doctrine as it is legally known, is a legal principle that prevents a rescuer who has voluntarily helped a victim in distress from being successfully sued for 'wrongdoing.' Its purpose is to keep people from being so reluctant to help a stranger in need for fear of legal repercussions if they made some mistake in treatment.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Star
    The good samaritan doctrine as it is legally known, is a legal principle that prevents a rescuer who has voluntarily helped a victim in distress from being successfully sued for 'wrongdoing.' Its purpose is to keep people from being so reluctant to help a stranger in need for fear of legal repercussions if they made some mistake in treatment.
    Even though asses will sue when they think it would have been better for them not to help, or think they did it wrong. Never mind the fact that they tried.

Michelles is offline Banned Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute Michelles has a reputation beyond repute
    Our CPR/First Aid trainer told us that he had saved a young mans life. The young man lived, but paralized. The family tried to sue him because they felt their son would have been better off dead, but the Good Samaritan law protected this rights and kept him from being sued for his heroism.

ngcsubutterbar is offline Veteran Member ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    While I've only been around a few bad accidents, and only been 'in' 1 of them, but 'so far' I've always ran towards the trouble, no mater what it was, to help in any way I can, never away: and no i have no formal medical training besides combat life-saver and the normal first aid classes.

quite frankly, I couldn't look someone in the eye that just stood there and refused to do something, if that person 'could'.
    Last edited by ngcsubutterbar; 01-22-05 at 04:58 PM.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org and NRA member

Vi et Consilio

Ranger__101 is offline Banned Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    You are correct. There are generally mandated assistance laws that require the person to assist by contacted 911 or the emergency number if you are involved in a vehicle accident.

So yes the driver of the vehicle is required to take some form of action, at least here in MN.

Orleander is offline Banned Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of Orleander has much to be proud of
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger__101
    .. So yes the driver of the vehicle is required to take some form of action, at least here in MN.
    Well, yeah, the driver would be required, but that's not what I'm asking. I'm wondering about a someone who finds the wounded person.
    A rapist is running away from his 25 yr old victim. The victim sees the accident. Would the victim be required to go get this person help?

Ranger__101 is offline Banned Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    As for just a bystander who was not involved, I have not seen any laws that require action.

I think it is just left to up moral values. How many people could just sit by and not take any action is the question?

seltzer is offline Banned seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute seltzer has a reputation beyond repute
    Sorry, I stand corrected. I remembered (or at least I thought I did) in a defensive driving class I took awhile back about that, but now that you mentionit, that is what the Good Samaritan law is. I apologize. I'll have to dig up and see if I still have the handouts from that class anywhere, I could have sworn there was something like that in there, maybe not. Sorry for the wrong information!

scott715us is offline Sgt/DUI Inst/Juris Doctor scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    If you were not personally invovled, I don't believe there is a law on the books (at least in TN) stating that you have to report it if you observed it. Now, civilly someone may sue you if they had knowledge that you saw them get injured and failed to call. But criminally, I don't believe so.

Of course, whole new ball game if you're personally involved and fail to report it, but that's another thread. ;)

16. This ad will disappear if you login