Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kate is offline Veteran Member Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute

Once a felon always a felon?

After reading massgrunt's thread about visiting a friend in jail (and not wanting to hijack it), I decided to see what everyone's opinion is regarding felons, jail time, and rehabilitation, etc.

With "hardcore" crime, such as murder and rape, what do you think the percentage is of those that go to prison actually do reform and are remorseful? Do you think prison is the answer, or do you see other solutions (such as the death penalty perhaps)?

What do you think of California's "Three Strikes" Law? Do you feel that law should be instated throughout the rest of the US? Do you feel that for someone who commits petty crimes three times should go to jail for life? A crime is a crime, no matter what?

I'm pressed for time here at work, otherwise I would have put more thought into this and could have formulated better questions, but I think you all get the jist of it.

I'd really love to hear from EVERYONE on this.

So -- once a felon always a felon?
    "Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent."
    -Adam Smith

Jeff L is offline Banned Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute
    I would agree, with the exception of theft (maybe).

acreature is offline Do work Son! acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by kateykakes
    With "hardcore" crime, such as murder and rape, what do you think the percentage is of those that go to prison actually do reform and are remorseful? Do you think prison is the answer, or do you see other solutions (such as the death penalty perhaps)?
    With murder and rape? Yes, always a felon, always a piece of ****.

What do you think of California's "Three Strikes" Law? Do you feel that law should be instated throughout the rest of the US? Do you feel that for someone who commits petty crimes three times should go to jail for life? A crime is a crime, no matter what?
    I love it. A Felony is a serious crime, regardless of white collar or violent. Three chances are MORE than enough chances to avoid doing something that you know you shouldn't do. Yes, Nationwide would be a good idea.

Yes, even petty crimes, if felonies, lock 'em up. It's illegal for a reason.

Finder is offline Senior Member Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold
    Verified LEO
    I deal with Felons on a daily basis. Very few show remorse and most place the blame on the Police by saying the arrest was bogus and they were set up. Only on a few occasions can I remember inmates saying they actually are sorry and wanted to change. The mentality is completely warped. I wish i could count how many times I heard an inmate say something like " Man, I can't do no 20 years for a murder, thats crazy!" We also have alot of repeat customers. Thier values are completely screwed up. I think once someone is convicted of murder or rape without any questions. remaining, and by that I mean the evidence overwhelmingly shows guilt, they should be promptly be put to death on Pay-per-view with all proceeds going to the victims family. Will this deter future crimes by others? Probably not, but there will be one less scumbag in the world preying on the innocent.
    Finder

Wifeofadeputy is offline Banned Wifeofadeputy has a reputation beyond repute Wifeofadeputy has a reputation beyond repute Wifeofadeputy has a reputation beyond repute Wifeofadeputy has a reputation beyond repute Wifeofadeputy has a reputation beyond repute Wifeofadeputy has a reputation beyond repute Wifeofadeputy has a reputation beyond repute Wifeofadeputy has a reputation beyond repute Wifeofadeputy has a reputation beyond repute Wifeofadeputy has a reputation beyond repute Wifeofadeputy has a reputation beyond repute
    Ditto acreature on everything, particularly our Three Strikes law. Career criminals need to be forced to realize that they made a poor career choice. They have the opportunity up until that last strike to make the choice to become a productive member of society. If they choose to continue the life of a felon, its safer for us for them to be in prison.

From threestrikes.org....

"3-Strikes and You're Out honored its Tenth Anniversary March 2004. Our report shows that 2 million Californians were spared victim status, $28.5 billion in pain, suffering and damage was saved and still no new prisons built during that time."

JD45 is offline Press hard...four copies. JD45 has a reputation beyond repute JD45 has a reputation beyond repute JD45 has a reputation beyond repute JD45 has a reputation beyond repute JD45 has a reputation beyond repute JD45 has a reputation beyond repute JD45 has a reputation beyond repute JD45 has a reputation beyond repute JD45 has a reputation beyond repute JD45 has a reputation beyond repute JD45 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I like our three strikes law and believe it is effective. Although I think we should institute the death penalty far more than we do now.

The three strikes law doesn't apply to petty crimes. It applies to violent felonies. So if you steal a pack of gum, it doesn't mean you're going to get a strike. If you hit someone with a baseball bat, that's a strike.

It's nice to know when you take someone to jail for their third potential strike that there is a good chance they'll never commit anymore crimes in public again.
    Be advised, I'm mean nasty and tired. I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I could put a round through a fleas *** at 300 yards. So why don't you hump somebody else's leg mutt-face before I push yours in.

rudegyal is offline Banned rudegyal has a spectacular aura about rudegyal has a spectacular aura about rudegyal has a spectacular aura about
    everyone is different. :rolleyes:

acreature is offline Do work Son! acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    especially from ones who don't explain there remarks.

rudegyal is offline Banned rudegyal has a spectacular aura about rudegyal has a spectacular aura about rudegyal has a spectacular aura about
    their? or there?

Kate is offline Veteran Member Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute Kate has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by acreature
    especially from ones who don't explain there remarks.
    That answer's too PC. Take the more direct approach:

Quote Originally Posted by rudegyal
    everyone is different.
    What the hell is that supposed to mean?
    -Adam Smith

Verified LEO
    Oh, I see.... you can't explain your point... so you become an english professor.

Exatcly what it says , EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, everyone responds differently to effects of being put in prison/jail for a crime they did. Surely you now what them 3 words mean.

Exatcly what it says , EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, everyone responds differently to effects of being put in prison/jail for a crime they did. Surely you now what them 3 words mean.
    The answer still makes NO sense.

And btw, "Surely you now what them 3 words mean."

Don't you mean know?
    -Adam Smith

Verified LEO
    So how you feel about the 3 strikes law is, "everyone is different" ?

That is not an answer, and was a waste of bandwidth.

Verified LEO
    Eh ummmm, Ms. Professor :D

16. This ad will disappear if you login