Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    5ive-0 is offline Junior Member 5ive-0 is on a distinguished road

Strobe lights on nonpolice car

Whats the story with having strobe lights placed in your lights? Is it allowed? i am certain that blue lights are out of the question... but what about clear or red?

i am guessing no.... so whats the penalty if you get caught at some point with them on.

The reason i am asking is because i have a friend (hes an idiot mind you) who has strobe inside the regular lights of his car, that he uses for car shows etc... but obviously does not bother with uninstalling them between shows....

Anyway we have been arguing about this, i say that if he turns them on anytime while driving, he could get in some serious trouble... he thinks he'll just get a measly citation to have the lights removed.... What do ppl think?

(i'm in BC canada)
    thanks!

dragonspider is offline Veteran Member dragonspider has a reputation beyond repute dragonspider has a reputation beyond repute dragonspider has a reputation beyond repute dragonspider has a reputation beyond repute dragonspider has a reputation beyond repute dragonspider has a reputation beyond repute dragonspider has a reputation beyond repute dragonspider has a reputation beyond repute dragonspider has a reputation beyond repute dragonspider has a reputation beyond repute dragonspider has a reputation beyond repute
    Trust me.....from experience, I know.... Unauthorized or Improper Use of Lights is worth 2 points in the State of Michigan, and it got me good on the insurance premium. I didn't have any fancy lights, just forgot to turn my headlights on one night, and I got flicked... Tell your friend he's a fool if he turns them on while driving!
    "Carpe Crakem" - Sieze the Crackhead....

jeff92k7 is offline Veteran Member jeff92k7 has a reputation beyond repute jeff92k7 has a reputation beyond repute jeff92k7 has a reputation beyond repute jeff92k7 has a reputation beyond repute jeff92k7 has a reputation beyond repute jeff92k7 has a reputation beyond repute jeff92k7 has a reputation beyond repute jeff92k7 has a reputation beyond repute jeff92k7 has a reputation beyond repute jeff92k7 has a reputation beyond repute jeff92k7 has a reputation beyond repute
    If I catch you with strobes on your POV here in Texas and you are not an LEO, you'll get to wear my matching bracelets and take a tour of our local jail under an invitation marked "impersonating a peace officer".

Construction companies can get away with it only when the vehicle in question is at a work site. They can't drive around on public roadways with the strobes activated.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff92k7
    If I catch you with strobes on your POV here in Texas and you are not an LEO, you'll get to wear my matching bracelets and take a tour of our local jail under an invitation marked "impersonating a peace officer".

Construction companies can get away with it only when the vehicle in question is at a work site. They can't drive around on public roadways with the strobes activated.
    thanks for the offer of a tour, i'll look you up when in texas... not a fan of bracelets tho... thanks anyway.

darrell is offline Banned darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Law
    Arrestable offense here. Mandatory court appearance and car gets impounded.

Same in Michigan. If they are blue or red then impersonation or a police officer is slapped on you as well. Nothing like a Felony/Misdameanor combo to mess up your life.

Sgt. Pepper is offline Banned Sgt. Pepper is infamous around these parts Sgt. Pepper is infamous around these parts Sgt. Pepper is infamous around these parts Sgt. Pepper is infamous around these parts Sgt. Pepper is infamous around these parts Sgt. Pepper is infamous around these parts Sgt. Pepper is infamous around these parts
    In maine the only people allowed to have strobs are PD (blue), FD and EMS including on POV of both for volly (red) and towing and plowing vehicals (amber or yellow)

ngcsubutterbar is offline Veteran Member ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    I do believe any combo of red and or blue is illegal here if ypu're not an emergency vehicle.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org and NRA member

Vi et Consilio

just to clarify: I understand having red and blue is obviously not a good idea.

but i have seen people with clear strobe on their corner lights... I think either way doesnt seem to fly.

ngcsubutterbar is offline Veteran Member ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    the legislation here I believe relates only to the colors red and blue. While it may not be smart, I don't think it's against state law. Could very well be a local thing however.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org and NRA member

Vi et Consilio

Scruit is offline Veteran Member Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute Scruit has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    The wording of the law in ohio is very specific, it naems the kinds of lights that a car normall has (headlights, brake lights, turn signals and backup lights) and gives basiclly no leeway in the color or function ('sept that a rear turn signal can be red or amber).

Anything else is illegal equipment.

Blue or red strobes will probably get you an impersonation charge.

CopDawgGA is offline Junior Member CopDawgGA is on a distinguished road
    Clear strobes are LEGAL in Georgia. But, If I were to catch someone actually using them........probablly pop them for impersonation anyway....

Bearcat06 is offline Banned Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    In Missouri you can display red and blues but if you use them, you will get hooked up for improper use of emergency lights. I can also (and do) write for the blue/red neon lights that are front facing (as in the windshield wiper areas). I will take the lights, tow your vehicle, and take you to jail and make you post bond on it.......
    We usually get one a week or so here that have the neons on their hoods...

warlock is offline Assault crime not weapons warlock will become famous soon enough
    If you have to ask...most likely its ILLEGAL :D
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer too much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." Ann Landers

Ghost 1 is offline Hammer Down Ghost 1 has a reputation beyond repute Ghost 1 has a reputation beyond repute Ghost 1 has a reputation beyond repute Ghost 1 has a reputation beyond repute Ghost 1 has a reputation beyond repute Ghost 1 has a reputation beyond repute Ghost 1 has a reputation beyond repute Ghost 1 has a reputation beyond repute Ghost 1 has a reputation beyond repute Ghost 1 has a reputation beyond repute Ghost 1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ngcsubutterbar
    the legislation here I believe relates only to the colors red and blue. While it may not be smart, I don't think it's against state law. Could very well be a local thing however.
    In GA it also is against the law to have green strobes. There is a provision in the code section that also designates FEMA and other agencies that are state and federal that are involved in natural disaster response and clean up.

And before you ask,its OCGA 40-8-92 subsection D: Except as provided in this subsection it shall be unlawful for any person,firm,or corporation to operate any motor vehicle or to park any motor vehicle on public property with flashing or revolving green lights. This subsection shall not apply to any motor vehicle being used by any law enforcement agency,fire department,emergency management agency,or other government entity to designate the location of the command post for such agency,department,or entity at the site of an emergency. :D
    Last edited by Ghost 1; 06-14-04 at 02:17 AM.
    Lead me not into temptation.......someone talks me into enough sh!t as it is. .

Ianscape is offline Senior Member Ianscape is on a distinguished road
    Arrestable offense here. Mandatory court appearance and car gets impounded.
    Same here for us DC, plus charges of impersonating a police officer, fireman, EMT, depending on your light colors.
    Ian M. MacMillan
    South Hampton Police Dept
    South Hampton, NH.

16. This ad will disappear if you login

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast