Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    Chgojock007 is offline Banned Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts

The LAPD Psychological/Polygraph Exams

Hi,

Can anyone offer any insight to the LAPD's psychological exam? How many questions does it consist of? What's to be expected of the Polygraph? What kinds of questions does the Oral Board ask you? How many people does it consist of?

Thank you!

Altai is offline Junior. Altai is on a distinguished road
    Living in Canada, I wouldn't know the specifics of the LAPD tests, but I wouldn't expect a certain department to have a procedure that is drastically different from any other derpartment's. Here in Edmonton, the Oral Board, Polygraph and Psychological are three seperate tests.

- The Oral Board will be evaluating your character as a person. They will ask you questions like: "Why do you want to work in Law Enforcement?","Why do you want to work for this particullar department?" may also come up. They may also give you a hypothetical scenario relating to police work and ask you how you would react to the given circumstances. For instance: "While on patrol, you witness a man who is apparently trying to steal a woman's purse. What would you do?" They don't expect you to know and describe the complete procedures but they want to know that you can make a sound decision. An appopriate answer would be: "I would notify the dispatcher of the situation, make my presence known to the suspect and attempt to control him."

- The Polygraph test is designed to verify the validity of your answers relating to your past. You have to fill out a "personal disclosure form" as part of your application. It's composed of a series of questions regarding the things you may have done in your past. "Have you ever bought or sold illegal drugs?" , "Have you ever been involved in a Hit-And-Run accident?" Just to name a few. You are expected to dicslose the complete truth. Before your polygraph, you go through your disclosure form with an officer. When the time for the test comes, you are hooked up and you are asked if the answers you gave were truthfull. If the officer think that you are being deceitful, you will most likely be disqualified. The best thing to do is telling them the complete truth about everything you can recall from your past, even if you think that this may disqualify you.

- And finally, the psychological is the kind of test that you can't prepare or study for. You are asked a series of weird questions, rarely relating to law enforcement. One that I've been told about is: "Do you like squishing mud throught your toes?" You're not supposed to think about your answers or the outcome. Just answer. Somehow, from the results they colect, they can assess your level of mental stability. That's as much as I know about the psych test having never gone through it myself.

Understand that this info relates to my city's department, and the LAPD may have something a little different in store for you. Your best bet would be to get in touch with someone from the recruiting unit. They will answer all of your questions. I have a friend in recruiting, and I regularily contact her with my questions. It's a real lifesaver when you know someone in the department.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

dizza is offline Veteran Member dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts dizza is infamous around these parts
    Supporting Member L2
    Psychological exams.. oh boy... one was 700+ questions, another 500+ questions, and then another 700+ questions. Polygraph is tough... just relax and tell the truth. You'll do fine.. if you go in there thinking about it going off or something, you'll fail. Oral board was 2 people for me. Why you want to become a cop. What has been your biggest challenge so far in life? How have you dealt with diversity in your life? What have you done to prepare yourself for a life in law enforcement. Stuff like that.

David
    Gun Control is hitting what you aimed at.

Chgojock007 is offline Banned Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts Chgojock007 is infamous around these parts
    Thanks for the information!

Maxximus is offline Junior Member Maxximus is on a distinguished road
    I failed a polygraph with the LAPD last year but I passed it with another reputable SoCal department recently. I'd say that you can expect pretty much the same thing as any other department's polygraph. Just make sure that you are confident about all the relevant issues that will be discussed and DON'T overanalyze the test or go in very nervous. I think that's what did me in the first time.

The psych test is very long and draining. But just answer the questions openly and honestly and you'll be fine (as long as you're not a nutcase). Some questions will seem weird, but don't think too hard about those ones. Just go with your gut feeling.
    Last edited by Maxximus; 04-20-04 at 10:59 PM.

6. This ad will disappear if you login