Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    EXCOP2000 is offline Senior Member EXCOP2000 will become famous soon enough EXCOP2000 will become famous soon enough

Arrow FedEx employs own security force

Very interesting...I guess they are like there own airport police force within an airport underneath a corporation? It was comforting to hear that if they get any major leads they turn it over to other LE agencies.

Monday, 03/01/04
    Despite criticism, FedEx employs own security force

By WOODY BAIRD
    Associated Press

MEMPHIS — Not content with mere security guards, FedEx has created its own private police force.

The 10 officers don't wear uniforms, but they can carry guns and have full law enforcement powers to protect the world's largest cargo airline from terrorism or other threats.

''They primarily function in sort of a detective mode,'' said Kristin Krause, spokeswoman for the Memphis-based package delivery company. ''They also have a heavy concentration on executive security.''

But the private police force has critics, including David Webb, chairman of the FedEx unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, who says there isn't enough public oversight.

''Who gets to make the accusations and give the instructions to these law enforcement officers to engage in an investigation?'' Webb said.

''What level of due process and probable cause has been met and who, more importantly, is going to be evaluating whether that's an appropriate level of due process or probable cause?''

Like most large corporations, FedEx has long had an extensive security force to guard its property and personnel.

But two years ago, FedEx won approval from the state legislature to take its security up a notch and organize a police force of commissioned law enforcement officers.

With little debate, lawmakers amended a statute authorizing a police force for the Tennessee Valley Authority, so it would include airlines with headquarters in Tennessee, which means FedEx.

Krause said the FedEx police can launch any investigations they feel are necessary. But once the officers think they're onto something, they notify traditional law enforcement agencies, she said.

''It's just an additional layer of security for us,'' she said.

FedEx would not allow any of its officers be interviewed.

FedEx is not the first company to have its own police force. Railroads have had private forces since the 1800s, and some private colleges currently have such officers, said Gene Voegtlin, legislative council for the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

''It's all a question of standards and training, and as long as they meet the standards that are in place, there shouldn't be a real problem.''

But FedEx's main competitor, Atlanta-based United Parcel Service, will continue to rely on its security guards and use traditional law enforcement for police work, spokesman Bob Godlewski said.

''They do that for a living.''

Because the FedEx police force is made up of commissioned officers, it gets a seat on a regional terrorism task force run by the FBI.

The task force, one of 66 around the country, meets twice a month to review intelligence on terrorist activities from around the world. FedEx is the only private company on the Memphis regional task force.

''As the largest cargo carrier in the world, they have a lot of issues that impact them that we might be interested in. That's about as far as I can go with that,'' said Matt Chapman, the FBI agent in charge of the Memphis task force.

Task force members cannot discuss the group's work with anyone lacking security clearance, including corporate officers at FedEx.

''They don't have to share or pass that information because they're the decision makers,'' Chapman said. ''They can just take action.''

The officers are commissioned by the state Department of Safety and must have the same training as any other officer in Tennessee. But they are supervised by FedEx, not by any state agency, said Mark Bracy, director of the Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy.

''(FedEx) would be liable for any of their acts,'' Bracy said.

But that's part of the problem, says Barbara Kritchevsky, a University of Memphis law professor who compared the FedEx police force with the privately operated prisons that are springing up around the country.

''You have private companies sort of controlling aspects of government. … You have a concern about what sort of controls there are.''
    10-7....for now

Norm357 is offline I'm too sexy for my shirt Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Posted 1-22-04 :D

http://forums.realpolice.net/showthread.php?t=9251

BOOO YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :D
    "In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

Sheriff, we are coming for you.

No, I am not an expert, but I am a fat guy who likes to eat.

http://www.aspca.org/images/content/...der/575925.jpg
    www.iCuban.com

miliclimitine is offline Banned miliclimitine is an unknown quantity at this point

how do I reply please?

hello is this the reply area? the original post is in this box where I am typing? ah ok ah some people here along with me here--ah we here doing some creaTIVE project(wink) here did wonder if maybe a foreign group might use various forum as ONE of their communication systems. We are working on a book about that. See other post by me pleases.So ah they might use forums like this to communicate. They might SAY that only certain type people should read certain posts. Them maybe other posts may be read by many in their group. The writing would be In code yes--soRTA umumum. ok maybe in message LIKE this they would be talking about the fed ex -uh maybe they might call real U.S. citizens fed ex for instance-they think we are no longer in government position in the U.S. Maybe they think we have people who are aware NOW of the sneak invasion and they are fighting. Okay do they have thorn or claw on the group-uh survellience they group doesn't knOW about or a mole or traitor IN that group that mAY be fight the invasion. We don't know-anything about the supposed teN whatever. Why would the group put out amessage about a secret group who was fighting for the U.S. if one didn't exist. Uh -they have many slight of hand -and yeah pretty soon your hand in all sense of the word-thEY will be melted and yanked and dissolve and runn off right under NEATH you-without a suspect in the immediate vincinity. UNless they are in the apartment below you-or one over and below--OR they could cHAnge that-h-the group sneak attackin us. Okay us-h-then maybe they are talking here about kris -somegu- who we heard was taken to a jail--hey man we thought that guy was in the joint-ah we don't know-just a thought there cop man.
    Quote Originally Posted by EXCOP2000
    Very interesting...I guess they are like there own airport police force within an airport underneath a corporation? It was comforting to hear that if they get any major leads they turn it over to other LE agencies.

Monday, 03/01/04
    Despite criticism, FedEx employs own security force

By WOODY BAIRD
    Associated Press

MEMPHIS Not content with mere security guards, FedEx has created its own private police force.

The 10 officers don't wear uniforms, but they can carry guns and have full law enforcement powers to protect the world's largest cargo airline from terrorism or other threats.

''They primarily function in sort of a detective mode,'' said Kristin Krause, spokeswoman for the Memphis-based package delivery company. ''They also have a heavy concentration on executive security.''

But the private police force has critics, including David Webb, chairman of the FedEx unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, who says there isn't enough public oversight.

''Who gets to make the accusations and give the instructions to these law enforcement officers to engage in an investigation?'' Webb said.

''What level of due process and probable cause has been met and who, more importantly, is going to be evaluating whether that's an appropriate level of due process or probable cause?''

Like most large corporations, FedEx has long had an extensive security force to guard its property and personnel.

But two years ago, FedEx won approval from the state legislature to take its security up a notch and organize a police force of commissioned law enforcement officers.

With little debate, lawmakers amended a statute authorizing a police force for the Tennessee Valley Authority, so it would include airlines with headquarters in Tennessee, which means FedEx.

Krause said the FedEx police can launch any investigations they feel are necessary. But once the officers think they're onto something, they notify traditional law enforcement agencies, she said.

''It's just an additional layer of security for us,'' she said.

FedEx would not allow any of its officers be interviewed.

FedEx is not the first company to have its own police force. Railroads have had private forces since the 1800s, and some private colleges currently have such officers, said Gene Voegtlin, legislative council for the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

''It's all a question of standards and training, and as long as they meet the standards that are in place, there shouldn't be a real problem.''

But FedEx's main competitor, Atlanta-based United Parcel Service, will continue to rely on its security guards and use traditional law enforcement for police work, spokesman Bob Godlewski said.

''They do that for a living.''

Because the FedEx police force is made up of commissioned officers, it gets a seat on a regional terrorism task force run by the FBI.

The task force, one of 66 around the country, meets twice a month to review intelligence on terrorist activities from around the world. FedEx is the only private company on the Memphis regional task force.

''As the largest cargo carrier in the world, they have a lot of issues that impact them that we might be interested in. That's about as far as I can go with that,'' said Matt Chapman, the FBI agent in charge of the Memphis task force.

Task force members cannot discuss the group's work with anyone lacking security clearance, including corporate officers at FedEx.

''They don't have to share or pass that information because they're the decision makers,'' Chapman said. ''They can just take action.''

The officers are commissioned by the state Department of Safety and must have the same training as any other officer in Tennessee. But they are supervised by FedEx, not by any state agency, said Mark Bracy, director of the Tennessee Law Enforcement Training Academy.

''(FedEx) would be liable for any of their acts,'' Bracy said.

But that's part of the problem, says Barbara Kritchevsky, a University of Memphis law professor who compared the FedEx police force with the privately operated prisons that are springing up around the country.

''You have private companies sort of controlling aspects of government. You have a concern about what sort of controls there are.''
    Last edited by miliclimitine; 03-01-04 at 11:57 PM.

Norm357 is offline I'm too sexy for my shirt Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Have you been drinking?
    "In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

Sheriff, we are coming for you.

No, I am not an expert, but I am a fat guy who likes to eat.

http://www.aspca.org/images/content/...der/575925.jpg
    www.iCuban.com

metallicat is offline Veteran Member metallicat has a reputation beyond repute metallicat has a reputation beyond repute metallicat has a reputation beyond repute metallicat has a reputation beyond repute metallicat has a reputation beyond repute metallicat has a reputation beyond repute metallicat has a reputation beyond repute metallicat has a reputation beyond repute metallicat has a reputation beyond repute metallicat has a reputation beyond repute metallicat has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    This is the (insert word here) that posted about aliens yesterday. Take it for what its worth. (I am talking about milliclinksdjf)
    Made In Canada

I'm digging my way to something better

gabe a. is offline Stargazer gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute gabe a. has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I think it's Mel Gibson from "Conspiracy Theory"!!
    Astronomical avatar of the week: The Hourglass Nebula: This formation of gasses was created when a dying star gently ejected its outer layers forming a glowing region of ionized gas as seen in the photo. The remaining core is known as a white dwarf, seen in the center. Our sun will leave a similar corpse behind after expending its nuclear fuel. This nebula is located in the constellation Musca, the fly, visible only in the southern hemisphere.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Whatever you smoked had some serious mold spores in it.
    Creeper Cop

Finder is offline Senior Member Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold Finder is a splendid one to behold
    Verified LEO
    I dunno, I could probably verify that some of them are in jail. I work with them every day.
    Finder

EXCOP2000 is offline Senior Member EXCOP2000 will become famous soon enough EXCOP2000 will become famous soon enough
    Sorry I missed the post back in Jan....I wonder why a newspaper website just ran the article today...oh well.
    10-7....for now

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    When I retire, I'll have to look them up.
    Creeper Cop

Charlie is offline Veteran Member Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsap
    When I retire, I'll have to look them up.
    Man, I've been trying to get a foot in there myself for about the past two years or so but I suspect it's one of those jobs you have to know someone to get in there... I have heard the corporate world is tighter than the LE world...
    --
    Charlie
    "Good and evil are present in this world, and between the two there can be no compromise" - President George W. Bush, in his farewell address to the nation.

Charlie is offline Veteran Member Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute Charlie has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Incidentally, if anyone out there works for Fed Ex security, I have an LE background and would be very interested in applying for a position. I'd like to know:

-- What are the required qualifications for the position?
    -- Is there a requirement that one MUST work for Fed Ex in another capacity in order to transition over to a security position? (Requirement one must already be employed by Fed Ex?)
    -- Offered salary ranges.
    -- Any security contact information with the company to inquire further about positions in the company.
    -- Any other useful information or suggestions.

Please PM this information to me.

Thanks!
    --
    Charlie
    "Good and evil are present in this world, and between the two there can be no compromise" - President George W. Bush, in his farewell address to the nation.

Outdoors is offline Junior Member Outdoors is on a distinguished road
    Not new. UPS, USPS, etc., most major national and international shippers have something like this.

Verified LEO
    Outdoors--

Thanks for the response but I am well aware of the fact this is not anything new. :D For me personally, I have been trying to find out more information on how someone can get on board there. So far, I haven't had much luck and I don't know anyone who works for Fed Ex to get any "insiders" intell on what you have to do.
    --
    Charlie

darrell is offline Banned darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold darrell is a splendid one to behold
    We call that in Michigan ACT 330 Certification. Private Security with full law enforcement authority on duty and only on the property that they are paid to protect, also called Security Police. The training is 40 hrs a week for 5 weeks consisting of force continum, state and federal law, and some other things. it is up to the department to go over defensive tactics, arrest procedures and so on. As I said they are only police officers while on duty and on the property they protect and nothing more.

16. This ad will disappear if you login