Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    mobrien316 is offline Philosopher/Marksman mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO

.45 GAP vs. .45 Auto

My department is considering switching to Glocks in .45 caliber. Glock does not seem to make a mid-size pistol in .45 Auto, but they do in .45 GAP.

I've done some research on the differences between the two cartridges, but I would like some feedback from anyone personally familiar with the two.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Fiat justitia, ruat coelum.

MikeG is offline Veteran Member MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    My department is considering switching to Glocks in .45 caliber. Glock does not seem to make a mid-size pistol in .45 Auto, but they do in .45 GAP.

I've done some research on the differences between the two cartridges, but I would like some feedback from anyone personally familiar with the two.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Never fired them. I thought the largest capacity mag for a "full size" 45 GAP was 10 rds which was the same as sub-compact 45 ACP. in fact I think the "sub-compact" .45 ACP (Glock 30) might be pretty close in size to the "compact" .45 GAP (Glock 38). Overall length difference is less than a 1/10" (2mm). The full-size 45 ACP (Glock 21) has 13 rounds.

I'd never held them side by side but it would be interesting to compare what they market as "full size", "compact" and "sub-compact" for each caliber.

Sgt. Slaughter is offline Veteran Member Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute Sgt. Slaughter has a reputation beyond repute
    This likely won't be helpful, but here goes:

My biggest issue with the GAP round is ammo availability. Go online right now and compare prices of ACP vs GAP ammo (at the places you can find carrying it). $4/box more for 50 round boxes of GAP ammo. Multiply that times what you'll need for an entire department and it adds up hella fast. Now, I realize departments don't purchase ammo online, but rather through distributors, so I bring this up - remember just a few years ago when people couldn't get ammo after President Obama was elected? Ammo was in short supply for everyone, departments included. While distributors/manufacturers said replen was going to police and military first, that doesn't change the fact some departments were running short on training ammo. Very few people manufacture GAP ammo to begin with as the round is just not called for like with other cartridges. Also, the ammo your department has currently selected (brand, bullet weight/design, etc) may not be available in the GAP round. Of course, if you department does things right, you'll T&E all gun models and available duty ammo variants before making a final selection.

FWIW - Federal HST data shows zero (let me say again - ZERO) difference between .45 ACP and .45GAP. But, it boils down to actually finding a reliable and consistent source of ammo when you finally choose something.
    Of every one hundred men, ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One... One of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others back.

"Wrong door, buddy!"

Let no man's ghost say my training failed him.

Norm357 is offline I'm too sexy for my shirt Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    The .45 GAP is a problem in search of a solution.
    "In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

Sheriff, we are coming for you.

No, I am not an expert, but I am a fat guy who likes to eat.

http://www.aspca.org/images/content/...der/575925.jpg
    www.iCuban.com

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    If you decide on the .45 Auto be careful if you go with the G21 SF. We are issued them at dept. 2 and while I love the gun, they have issues with the ambidextrous mag release. We've had to send a few back due them breaking. Mine just did it the other day. Luckily I had just got done cleaning it and wasn't in a shootout.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

kels is offline RPs Official WARPIG kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Middle part of Kansas, just a few trees and not quite FLAT
    It may sound strange, but I like the 45 gap.
    The boss had the model that is about the size of a Glock 23.
    It is a pretty good carry package.
    BUT as others have said, the ammo is expensive and
    you might as well buy it online to get a decent price.

If you really want a 45, I would suggest the fullsize Springfield XD.
    That is what I am using for a duty weapon.
    The Glock 21 (both models) doesnt fit my hand well.
    On a clear night, I can see the other deputies emergency lights at least 10 miles away.
    But it isnt flat here LOL

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by kels View Post
    The Glock 21 (both models) doesnt fit my hand well.
    That's one disadvantage of semi-autos, with revolvers you can change grips to fit your hand.

I guess I'm one of a minority because the 21 fit my hand like a glove. But when we first switched to Glocks, people had a choice of the 21 or the 17. A lot of guys got the 21 only to find they were like you and traded them for the 9 mm.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

NYDS is offline Senior Member NYDS has a reputation beyond repute NYDS has a reputation beyond repute NYDS has a reputation beyond repute NYDS has a reputation beyond repute NYDS has a reputation beyond repute NYDS has a reputation beyond repute NYDS has a reputation beyond repute NYDS has a reputation beyond repute NYDS has a reputation beyond repute NYDS has a reputation beyond repute NYDS has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    NYSP switched to the Gap, My GF has one and they are very heavy Ammo is expensive and hard to find and they only hold Ten Rounds.
    GLOCK 22 3rd Gen
    GLOCK 23 3rd Gen
    GLOCK 27 3rd Gen
    GLOCK 22 dept issued 4th Gen
    BUSHMASTER AR-15 A3 20 INCH H/BAR,
    HANDLE MOUNTED COLT SCOPE 3/20, CQB CST SLING.
    BUSHMASTER M4 CQB SOP SLING.
    RRA PRO SERIES GOVERNMENT AR-15 EOTECH 552,SUREFIRE M 951
    AND MANY MANY MORE.

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I know im late to the game, but another reason to be wary of the GAP is lack of street shooting reports. It's still a new round, and there aren't many reports out there as to how the round did in stopping a suspect. Meanwhile the ACP has a long record of good stopping power.
    Pittsburgh Pirates- 1st place NL Central 7/15/11

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Meanwhile the ACP has a long record of good stopping power.
    Yes, it do! It was observing autopsies that gave me the reason to carry that round.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

11. This ad will disappear if you login