Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread

Thread: Glock 23 or 27?

michiganstud is offline exhumed from the grave michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

Glock 23 or 27?

I am trying to decide if I want to buy the Gen 4 Glock 23 or Glock 27. I know both have pro's and con's but I am considering size and concealability. Is there anyone that has used both the compact and subcompact Glocks that can tell me which one conceals better?

Currently I am concealing a Kahr CW9, but I want to .40 S&W

I don't really like the 27 without the mag extension. Adding this pretty much takes you to the same size as the 23 (height). I'm not really worried about slide length.

Here is what I found on Google:

images..jpg

"ching ching, pull it over buddy. You're under arrest...get in the basket." ~ Super Six 5

Citicop is offline The Original Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I carry a Glock 27 with one of these as an option:

A&G Mag Spacer on TopGlock

It's a spacer that allows a magazine from a Glock 23 to fit seamlessly into a Glock 27.

That way, I have two different carry options, and can use either one depending on exactly HOW much concealment I need...
    Sometimes there's Justice...
    and sometimes, there's Just Us
    1*

In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

MikeG is online now Veteran Member MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Quote Originally Posted by michiganstud View Post
    I am trying to decide if I want to buy the Gen 4 Glock 23 or Glock 27. I know both have pro's and con's but I am considering size and concealability. Is there anyone that has used both the compact and subcompact Glocks that can tell me which one conceals better?

Currently I am concealing a Kahr CW9, but I want to .40 S&W

I don't really like the 27 without the mag extension. Adding this pretty much takes you to the same size as the 23 (height). I'm not really worried about slide length.

Here is what I found on Google:
    Kahr comes in .40 . I've never carried for duty as I'm not a leo but I have both glock 27, 23 and kahr pm9 (the .40 is about the same size). The single stack kahr feels much more comfortable concealed. The staggered glock feels fat.

This is the Kahr I want to get if I ever get over to .40

Barrel: 3.0", polygonal rifling; 1 - 16 right-hand twist
    Length O/A: 5.35"
    Height: 4.0"
    Slide Width: .94"
    Black frame, slide and night sights.

Downside is that the pistol won't be compatible with any mags on the belt :(.

And to answer your question I rarely carry the 27. I carry the 23 if size is not a factor and the Kahr 9mm if it is. Most officers I know carry the 22 and 27 BUG because the magazines are compatible and size is a factor and/or it's mandated by PD. At least one dept here requires both the main and bug have the same non-stock trigger spring. 22, 23 and 27 can share all those parts.
    Last edited by MikeG; 04-07-11 at 02:52 AM.
    Captain Frank Drebin,
    "Hello. I'm Lieutenant Drebin,Detective Sergeant,Police Squad."

"Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses."

Jay: All right, I'm in. But there's one thing you gotta remember: You chose me..so you recognized the skills, so I don't want nobody calling me son or kid or sport or nothing like that, cool?
    Kay: Cool, whatever you say, slick, but I need to tell you something about all your skills. As of right now, they mean precisely..d**k.

cntryboy0531 is offline You can't 30DF that.... cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute cntryboy0531 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I have never carried the 23, but I have the 27 and LOVE it. I can easily conceal it under a t-shirt and pair of shorts.
    "I would rather my boss give me a butt kicking for being over the top than a eulogy for not being thorough!" ~~~~~ Aussie George

"It's an American police station. Guns are easier to find than a working stapler." ~~~~~ smcc366

Hudson69 is offline Colorado Cop Hudson69 is on a distinguished road
    Verified LEO
    If you are going for a back-up and off duty with maximum concealability the I would go for the 27 especially if it means that you wont carry it if it is too big to conceal for what you are doing.

As far as shooting goes with the 27; practice, practice practice. If you have to go to your back-up gun I dont think comfort is going to be an issue at the time and off duty it will be better than nothing because you actually have something small enough to conceal.

IMO if you have a very concealable gun now in .380/.38 or larger now I wouldn't change it unless your compact will accept the full size mags of your duty gun (most Glocks, XD's and the P-11/5906). I normally carry a 3913 or a Mod 36 off duty just because my duty Glock 23 is huge and the 27 isn't that much smaller (on me) and I wont carry a striker fired gun IWB style.
    “A man ought to do what he thinks is right”

-John Wayne-

michiganstud is offline exhumed from the grave michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Great points guys. I never thought of the versatility of having something that I can make very concealable when I want it to be, as the 27 is with a stock mag, but then pop in a bigger mag with that spacer above when I want a full size gun.

Thanks.

"ching ching, pull it over buddy. You're under arrest...get in the basket." ~ Super Six 5

kels is offline RPs Official WARPIG kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Middle part of Kansas, just a few trees and not quite FLAT
    Id take the 23, but I have big hands and have problems shooting a 27 due to short grip.
    On a clear night, I can see the other deputies emergency lights at least 10 miles away.
    But it isnt flat here LOL

MikeG is online now Veteran Member MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Quote Originally Posted by kels View Post
    Id take the 23, but I have big hands and have problems shooting a 27 due to short grip.
    Shot 240/250 with glock 22 and 235/250 with 27 so I'm getting better (it was course local guys use for annual quals and I tagged along ). Still don't like 27 though.
    Captain Frank Drebin,
    "Hello. I'm Lieutenant Drebin,Detective Sergeant,Police Squad."

"Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses."

Jay: All right, I'm in. But there's one thing you gotta remember: You chose me..so you recognized the skills, so I don't want nobody calling me son or kid or sport or nothing like that, cool?
    Kay: Cool, whatever you say, slick, but I need to tell you something about all your skills. As of right now, they mean precisely..d**k.

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I choose the old fashioned way, whatever feels the best in my hand. Like Kels, I have a fairly big hand and little guns don't feel right and consequently, I don't shoot as well with it. Now that I'm retired, I have a Taurus P145 (since I'm partial to .45's) that is concealable, but doesn't feel like a derringer in my hand.

Even as a plain clothes detective, I usually carried a Glock 21. I also had a model 19, but again it was too small to be comfortable. Not ever being on duty, I don't feel the need to carry as many rounds. I need a gun to get me out the door and that's about all now!
    Last edited by retdetsgt; 04-08-11 at 08:32 PM.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

cobracop is offline Junior Member cobracop is on a distinguished road
    Verified LEO
    I have both, it really boils down to personal preference. mag. capacity is also a consideration here

rwreagan is offline Hawks>Broncos rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by cobracop View Post
    I have both, it really boils down to personal preference. mag. capacity is also a consideration here
    The thread! It's ALIVE IT'S ALIVE

Big Sexy is offline Most Diabolical Poster Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute Big Sexy has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Cobracop,

FYI, you need to check the dates of the forums you're posting in. It's considered bad form to post in long dead threads. Thus far you're batting 1000.
    BIG SEXY says - "When life hands you lemons, take those same lemons & smash them into lifes' ugly *** mugg!! That'll learn'em to give you lemons."

marinepilot is online now Slippin' the surly bonds marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    Cobracop,

FYI, you need to check the dates of the forums you're posting in. It's considered bad form to post in long dead threads. Thus far you're batting 1000.
    ^^^^ This.

Please, please, please start checking the dates in the upper left hand corner of the last post of a thread. If you find the thread has been dormant (not posted in) for like over 3 years, as this and another thread you revived are, DO NOT POST IN THEM!!

Thank you.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

Sgt. Ervin Romans (OPD) - EOW March 21, 2009

14. This ad will disappear if you login