Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Insayn is offline Veteran Member Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

Colt Police Positive 38 Special ?

I was just given a free Colt Police Positive 38 Special. Anyone have any good information on these? I have come to the conclusion the grip is aftermarket. I am considering stripping it down and rebluing it and finding the correct grip. However I don't know if it should have a walnut grip with the Colt medalian or the black plastic grips. The serial number is #13XXX. I see there are 2 Police Positives on Proofhouse. One is the PP and the other is the PP Special. It looks like it is either a 1907 or 1909 pistol.

Group9 is offline Hurricanes suck! Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    It was good enough for Barney Fife. :D
    "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

Old Chinese Proverb

Norm357 is offline I'm too sexy for my shirt Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    You reblue that and I will kick your ***. Spend the 30 bucks and get a history from Coltbefore you do anything to it.
    "In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

Sheriff, we are coming for you.

No, I am not an expert, but I am a fat guy who likes to eat.

http://www.aspca.org/images/content/...der/575925.jpg
    www.iCuban.com

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Do NOT, I repeat do NOT reblue that gun. As more and more time passes since Colt closed it's factory to DA revolvers, they're getting more and more scarce and more and more valuable. The one downside to your particular gun, is that the Police Positive Special was one of Colts most made revolver ever, topping 750,000 total.

Your gun was made in 1909. The police positive line was started in 1905 with the Police Positive 38 (38 Colt cartridge, smaller than the 38 S&W special). The police positive .32 was introduced in 1907, and the police positive special in 1908

Now, as to the grips, there is a posibility that they are original grips. I couldn't see the rampant colt medallion that well. If it's gold colored, it's aftermarket, no two ways about it. If it's silver, that's consistant with the original. The checkering looks worn and the ridges not sharp, also consistant. I can't find out when wood grips started being used on that gun. I do know that the Detective Special, which came out in 1927, had wood grips, and the Detective Special is a Police Positive Special cut down to a concealed carry size. Without being able to see the grips up close, or a really good set of pictures, I can't tell one way or the other. They may be original, they may be aftermarket grips put on in the 60s or 70s and have been worn down since then.

Either way it's a great addition and, obviously, don't shoot 38special +p rounds through it as the frame from that time won't take it.
    Pittsburgh Pirates- 1st place NL Central 7/15/11

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

Insayn is offline Veteran Member Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute Insayn has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    The medalian on these grips aren't the Colt emblems. They are of an eagle with arrows and olive branch I believe and "SILE" under them. So I figure they are aftermarket Sile Grips. :D

Verified LEO
    Also, from what I am reading, if this is a 1909 era revolver the grips from the early versions of this pistol should be the polymer Colts, not the wood grips that came out in 1927. I am thinking of picking these up to replace them.
    Last edited by Insayn; 10-24-08 at 12:43 PM.

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Insayn View Post
    Also, from what I am reading, if this is a 1909 era revolver the grips from the early versions of this pistol should be the polymer Colts, not the wood grips that came out in 1927. I am thinking of picking these up to replace them.
    Those hard rubber ones are the ones that are on my 1907 police positive so I believe that is correct.

And I was wondering why the medallion on those grips looked wierd. That clears that up

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

Verified LEO
    I was able to locate some correct era grips for the Colt. I searched around and saw two styles of grips, but I believe these are the correct ones as compared to the ones I posted with the scrolling. The screw is a little long and I am not sure which end goes out on the nut/insert for the right grip. It is concave on one side and flat on the other. The screw sticks out a tad bit as well. I also noticed towards the top of the grips you can see into the frame as they don't cover up the frame totally.

Verified LEO
    Those are the ones that belong on the gun. They're the same ones that are on my police positive as well

LMTC is offline Junior Member LMTC is on a distinguished road
    Good day to all. I happened upon this forum while searching for info on a Colt Police Positive. I am at the age where I am passing on to my children what they want, offering at very reasonable price much of the rest to extended family, and holding on to just a very few firearms. I came upon a Colt I had totally forgotten I had, one I bought at an estate auction years ago. It is a Police Positive Special per the barrel markings, is probably 98-99%, checkered walnut grips with a round silver colored insert near the top of each grip with "Colt" and the mustang logo. Serial # is 865XXX. I have a relative interested, but I tend to think it has more value to a collector than a shooter. Do any of you have a suggestion as to value? No box, nothing additional at all. It shows no holster wear at all....I suspect it had been kept in a drawer by the previous owner. Thank you for any information or direction to good information.

Verified LEO
    According to Proofhouse the Colt Police Postive Special with that serial number is from 1965. It is probably worth around $4-600 range. It seems most are listed around $500-550 in 99% condition on Gunbroker. If you want to try and increase the value there is a box with warranty card on that site as well, dated 1964. My Blue Book of Gun Values is consistant with that price range as well.

LMTC is offline Junior Member LMTC is on a distinguished road
    Thank you. In my book that definitely makes it worth more as a collectible than as a shooter.

Verified LEO
    The number on the box doesn't match yours exactly, but it is close. It would be worth more to a collector with a matching box and paperwork or if it were older.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=115773957

basher52 is offline Veteran Member basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute basher52 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I have its baby brother, a Colt Police Pocket Positive. I will try and post a pic. DO NOT RE-BLUE THAT GUN! Enjoy it as it is and marvel at the quality and craftsmanship of a lost art. They DON"T make em like that anymore.

vikz is offline Junior Member vikz is on a distinguished road
    i got mine yesterday but i can't post the pics yet bec i'm a newbie in this sight, maybe later in the day i can..

16. This ad will disappear if you login

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast