Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    deputy z is offline Hook 'Em and Book 'Em deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

Glock vs. Springfield XD

I am going to buy my duty weapon and backup and am trying to decide between the Glock and Springfield XD. My agency issues Beretta or S&W 4006. I want my backup to match my main duty weapon and that is why I am going to buy both. I am going to the range to shoot both of these Friday but was hoping that anyone that knows the pluses and minuses of either of these guns could chime in. Thanks in advance.
    Mike Lowery: We ride together, we die together. Bad boys for life.

kels is offline RPs Official WARPIG kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute kels has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Middle part of Kansas, just a few trees and not quite FLAT
    You can buy the original or the copies.
    Buy the glock.

It will cost a little more, but is worth the difference.
    AND I DONT OWN EITHER.

Switchback is offline Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Strike up another vote for the Glock. If I could have only 1 gun, it would be my Glock. Ultra-reliable, very utilitarian.

The Springfield may be just as good, but it has yet to have time to prove it. It is just a Glock-wannbe in a different wrapper.

If you can, just shoot them both and see what you like. I would give the Glock the nod, if for no other reason than a proven track record.
    We bring evil things to evil people, kicking in a door near you!

."In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But,
    in practice, there is."

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like
    an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig
    was'committed'."

-unknown

Working on a PhD in CQB one doorway at a time.

When the wolf attacks, he will find not all who run with the flock are sheep!

Creeker is offline Man of La Mancha Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy z
    I am going to buy my duty weapon and backup and am trying to decide between the Glock and Springfield XD. My agency issues Beretta or S&W 4006. I want my backup to match my main duty weapon and that is why I am going to buy both.... .
    I am confused as to why you would want either a Glock or an XD, when you want your BUG to match your issued Beretta or S&W?

As to your answer, I was issued a Glock 22 and carried it for about 10 years. Because of what I was issued, I opted to carry a Model 27 BUG, particularly due to the extended mag for the m22 could be used with the m27.

However, since I retired, I purchased a pair of XD's, a 4".40 and a 3" 9mm. These pistols are a virtual joy to shoot and seem to feel better in my hand... I believe that the grip angle forces the shooter to hold the firearm more correctly. I've never been able to accurately place aimed headshots at 20 yards with any Glock the way I can with these XD's in IDPA competition.

As for the XD 's being wannabe Glocks, IMHO that may be true to a certain extent... but only to the extent that a Buick wants to be a Ford, when in reality the Buick has many improvements and advantages over the Ford. They both have 4 wheels and do the same tasks and some even look similar.

Granted Glock came up with the lightweight frame/steel slide and barrel initially, but Springfield has improved on that design. The Springfield XD's are less expensive than Glocks brand new. The Glock is at least partially manufactured in Austria while the XD is partly from Croatia.

I am waiting for XD to come out with either a .45 GAP or ACP in 3". When that happens, you will likely see me carrying it under HR218 rather than my M27.

So here's a vote for the XD.

BTW, I'll never be buying a S&W again... its just a political statement to me.
    My Inalienable Rights were given to me by God and NOT by the Government.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."- Patrick Henry

Ryanh1985 is offline Banned Ryanh1985 is infamous around these parts Ryanh1985 is infamous around these parts Ryanh1985 is infamous around these parts
    As i have said in other threads i don't like the XD's at all. i would go for the glock!

DigitalFuzi0n is offline Certified Rookie DigitalFuzi0n has a reputation beyond repute DigitalFuzi0n has a reputation beyond repute DigitalFuzi0n has a reputation beyond repute DigitalFuzi0n has a reputation beyond repute DigitalFuzi0n has a reputation beyond repute DigitalFuzi0n has a reputation beyond repute DigitalFuzi0n has a reputation beyond repute DigitalFuzi0n has a reputation beyond repute DigitalFuzi0n has a reputation beyond repute DigitalFuzi0n has a reputation beyond repute DigitalFuzi0n has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Chaulk up another XD fan here. I can't wait to get my hands on one of the 45 ACP models!
    I'm your huckleberry...

"Ecentus stultorum magister."

TX-LEO is offline Some Call me JR TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute TX-LEO has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I'm a glock guy. I admit it. That said, the XDs are fine guns. Nothing wrong with em. Try them both and see what one ya like.
    "I'd rather hunt with VP Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy ."

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
    temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

JLAT95 is offline Junior Member JLAT95 will become famous soon enough JLAT95 will become famous soon enough

Howdy

I Like the XD but that is just me.

GoDirectly2Jail is offline Do Not Collect $200 GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    My vote is for the Glock and its simplicity. IMO, not many parts=less opportunity for something to break.
    Click HERE for a common sense tutorial on posting at RealPolice.net.

DISCLAIMER: The above posting, if in response to a background or hiring question, is not meant to discourage any dreams or ambitions, but instead is a brutally honest opinion based soley on the information provided by the original poster. Please note that your suitability as an applicant is NOT tied in any way with your worth as a person.

PPD_EXP is offline Junior Member PPD_EXP is on a distinguished road
    I thought alot of depts. werent using the XD because of the grip safety.
    Brandon

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I see many of both guns. The XD fits me better. It may not fit you better. I find the XD trigger more to my liking also.

That said, I ordered a G19 because of the fantastic price I got on it.
    Last edited by txinvestigator1; 02-22-06 at 11:55 PM.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

deputy z is offline Hook 'Em and Book 'Em deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute deputy z has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeker
    I am confused as to why you would want either a Glock or an XD, when you want your BUG to match your issued Beretta or S&W?
    I am not planning on using the dept. issued Beretta or S&W, I am purchasing both the primary duty weapon and BUG. I want them to match. Another question, What do you guys know about the Beretta PX4 Storm. My dept says I can use this but doesn't issue this model. Thanks again.
    Mike Lowery: We ride together, we die together. Bad boys for life.

Rookie 87 is offline Student: Human Stupidity Rookie 87 has a reputation beyond repute Rookie 87 has a reputation beyond repute Rookie 87 has a reputation beyond repute Rookie 87 has a reputation beyond repute Rookie 87 has a reputation beyond repute Rookie 87 has a reputation beyond repute Rookie 87 has a reputation beyond repute Rookie 87 has a reputation beyond repute Rookie 87 has a reputation beyond repute Rookie 87 has a reputation beyond repute Rookie 87 has a reputation beyond repute

shot em both loved em both

Yesterday I shot a Glock 17, and .357 sig XD.

Loved them both. I was a little more accurate with the XD. Seemed to me the Glock shot about one inch to the left most of the time at 10, 15 and 25 yards.

At the end of the day my favorite was still my AR-15 with Hakko Aim Point.

oh and also I don't know if it was my imagination but personally....

The Glock felt better and aimed more naturally,

but XD was more accurate, and I felt the Glock was a little long on the trigger pull.

qpd158 is offline Veteran Member qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    My dept. is looking into upgrading our current Glock model 22's. Looked at both the XD and the generation 3 Glock 22.

Choice: new generation Glock 22, with light rails so that the light can be purchased and installed later.

Reasoning: Have used our current Glocks and have very few problems, and of course the all mighty dollar won. Glock's are that much cheaper.

Creeker is offline Man of La Mancha Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by qpd158
    .... Glock's are that much cheaper.
    I think they call it "Economy of scale". They can drop the price on the firearms for a latrge quantity purchase, just like Walmart can buy things so much cheaper at bulk pricing.

Individually, IME, Glocks are more expensive for the individual purchaser... unless you can get them thru http://www.auctionarms.com/ or something similar.
    My Inalienable Rights were given to me by God and NOT by the Government.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."- Patrick Henry

16. This ad will disappear if you login

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast