RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .357 Auto

snc00 is offline Junior Member snc00

.357 Auto

Hey everyone. I was just wandering what exactly is the difference between the .357 auto and the .357 magnum ammo? Also have any of you used the .357 auto, and if you have how do you like them? Thanks

Josh

Chief211 is offline Kalamazoo PD Chief211
    I have used the glock 31 .357. It wasnt auto though, it was semi auto. How you like it depends on what you are using it for. I personally think it is a little to big to be used for LE. LE is supposed to be LIFE PRESERVING. For target, I like it. It handles great, and has a low recoil, considering the size.
    I am not an officer because I want to be a hero. I am an officer because I couldnt picture myself doing anything else. Its about the men and women around you that makes the job so great

txinvestigator1 is online now what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I personally think it is a little to big to be used for LE. LE is supposed to be LIFE PRESERVING
    Are you saying that LE weapons should not be capable of deadly force? Your statement really has me confused.

.357 auto is a term often used for the .357 sig round. It is made for a semi auto handgun. the .357 magnum is a revolver round notoroius for smashing through engine blocks and knocking men off of their feet. (both impossible).

The .357 sig is not a large round, close in size to the 9mm, .38 special, .357 magnum. The .40, 10mm and .45 all all three larger rounds. The .357 sig is gaining wide acceptence as a LE round.

OfcMikey is offline Junior Member OfcMikey
    Hmmmmmm, never wasted any time thinking about how to preserve the bad guys life.
    I concentrate on preserving the lives of those that the bad guy is threatening in a manner that requires me to use lethal force to stop him.
    I would personally use the most devastating caliber I could to stop the bad guy, if he dies, oh well. He is the one who forced me to use lethal force due to his actions, not my problem if he dies in the process.

Personally I find the 357sig and 357magnum lacking compared to my personal favorite, the 10mm. :D

Re: .357 Auto

Originally posted by snc00
    Hey everyone. I was just wandering what exactly is the difference between the .357 auto and the .357 magnum ammo? Also have any of you used the .357 auto, and if you have how do you like them? Thanks

Josh
    The 357magnum is a revolver cartridge that evolved from the 38special cartridge, by lengthening the casing and thus increasing the powder capacity.
    The 357 Sig is an autoloader cartridge that evolved from the 40sw, by necking down the cartridge to 9mm diameter.

When loaded to their potential, they are comparable in ballistics.
    The 357magnum has the advantage of using much heavier weight bullets in some of its loadings, the 357Sig, does not have the weight flexibility that the 357magnum does.

Bullet weights in 357magnum are typically from 110grains to 180grains.
    Bullet weights in 357Sig are typically from 90grains to 147grains.

The true bullet diameter of 357Sig, is .355 inches in diameter, the same as 9mm.
    The true bullet diameter of 357magnum is, .357 inches in diameter.

However, both pale in comparison to my pet cartridge, the 10mm. :D :D :D

I have fired both, the 357Sig is more controllable due to being on an autoloading platform. IMHO
    Both are easy to shoot for me.

Mike
    Last edited by OfcMikey; 12-10-02 at 11:02 PM.

Switchback is online now Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    The .357mag is more flexible in bullet weights. When you look at the 124-125 grain weights, the ballistics are VERY Comparable, especially looking at bonded bullets such as the Speer Gold Dot. Having 15 +1 in my Glock 31 makes it even more attractive... not to mention having my Glock 33 for a back-up/off-duty that is capable of using the same 15 round magazines for reload.

Regarding the usefulness of the .357 sig in LE, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better round. It's merely a snappy .40 in felt recoil. It's really a non-issue with training. If you are a moderate shooter with a .380, it may take a little practice to get proficient, just as it would for the .40. If you're a .40 shooter, it is hardly any different to shoot.... afterall, it IS a necked down .40!

I'll try to track down the ballistic tables from the FBI testing. The round did SUPER well, without overpenetration.... with OUTSTANDING barrier penetration (windshield, plywood, drywall, etc). Texas DPS (Troopers and Rangers) have had great success with their Sig P229s in .357 sig.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member Mac
    The .357 Sig round is a great round. There has been some contention as to which has better knock down power, the .357 Sig or the .357 magnum revolver round. It has gained wide acceptance as an LE round. I have chronoed both rounds and the muzzle velocity is almost identical depending on bullet weight and brand of ammo. To me its too close to call.

Mac
    Those who prefer security over freedom,
    deserve neither security or freedom.
    Benjamin Franklin.

snc00 is offline Junior Member snc00
    Thanks everyone, I'm really not a gun buff so I don't know a whole lot but I'm tryin to learn. My brother and I were talking about the .357auto the other day and I was trying to tell him that it wasn't the same shell as the .357magnum. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Also, the NCSHP has started carrying Glock .357's I believe. I have my interview with the Highway Patrol on Tues. next week. Wish me luck.

Josh

txinvestigator1 is online now what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    There has been some contention as to which has better knock down power
    Please quit using the term "knock down power" as it is false and very misleading to neophytes.

Anyone who has even a basic understanding of energy understands that any bullet that would "knock down" the recipient of a bullet would also knock down the shooter.

As a matter of fact, most people shot bend at the waist and fall forward, the head leading the way. It is a physiological response.

bhanson is offline Veteran Member bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Originally posted by txinvestigator1
    Please quit using the term "knock down power" as it is false and very misleading to neophytes.
    I'm happy to see this statement! I get very frustrated with these knock down power arguments that are more ego drivent than reality based.

I keep the basic fundamentals in mind - it not the size of the bullet, it is WHERE you place it that matters!

A .22 in the X ring is better than a nick with a .50 cal.
    - Bob Hanson

C. S. I.

Can't Stand Idiots

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member Mac
    I use the term because some people can't understand that the shock of the round striking can do as much damage as well as where the bullet impacts. Case in point, the .45ACP can cause a fatality even when the round strikes an area that is not lethal. That is shock.

Mac
    Those who prefer security over freedom,
    deserve neither security or freedom.
    Benjamin Franklin.

Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Agreed, but so can a .22.

I have to apologize to you though, my statement was really not directed at you specifically, rather as an in general plea.

The only thing in my ****nal with "Knockdown Power" is the 98 Chevy Tahoe that I drive.
    If I hit ya with that, I guarantee it will knock you down. :D

Mike :cool:

warlock is offline Assault crime not weapons warlock will become famous soon enough
    Wow I've been hearing so much about this 10 mm cartridge, it really has me interested. I've shot, 380 acp, 38 special+p, 9mm, 357 mag, and 40 sw in many different makes of handguns. How does the 10 mm stack up to these rounds, and where would it fit in in terms of its "knock-down power" LOL tx

James
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer too much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." Ann Landers

bhanson is offline Veteran Member bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute bhanson has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Originally posted by warlock
    Wow I've been hearing so much about this 10 mm cartridge, it really has me interested. I've shot, 380 acp, 38 special+p, 9mm, 357 mag, and 40 sw in many different makes of handguns. How does the 10 mm stack up to these rounds, and where would it fit in in terms of its "knock-down power" LOL txJames

Are you ready for a LONG answer?

The 10mm has been around for quite some time (early 80's I believe). It was designed to be the metric equivalent of the .45, just a slightly smaller bullet and MUCH higher velocity. It never really got off the ground. The FBI adopted it and then after an extensive study on bullet penetration they "customized" the round to a lower velocity and it became the .40 S&W.

You could call the 40 S&W a 10mm short or the 10mm a 40 magnum.
    - Bob Hanson

C. S. I.

Can't Stand Idiots

16. This ad will disappear if you login