Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    curseofdays is offline Junior Member curseofdays is on a distinguished road

Colt Police Positive 38 Special?

Hi, i recently was given a Colt Police Positive that my great grandfather owned and according to my grandfather, was from the 1920's. On Proofhouse website they list a Colt Police Positive Special and a Colt Police Positive 38. Based on my serial number, the dates are different for the two types of guns.How do i found out exactly which one I own.

Gun Details:
    Barrel Length: 4 inches
    Barrel writing: Police Positive-38 Special
    Patents: PAT'D Aug 5 1884, June 5 1900, July 4 1905
    Grips seem to be hard plastic, not wood.
    Serial Number: 2479XX

rwreagan is offline Hawks>Broncos rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute
    They're nice revolvers, but theyre common and usually have a lot of holster wear on them, if you were hoping for a jackpot, you'll need to inherit a different gun.... that's just the disclaimer, but I like those revolvers. Probably worth 350-400 bucks.

As you've learned there's two revolver models, the police positive, and the police positive special. The police positive is chambered for .38 S&W (also known as colt new police, not to be confused with .38 special) or for .32 S&W long. If your revolver is chambered in .38 special you have a police positive special. A police positive .38 is chambered in .38 S&W as I said, this is a completely different round then .38 special and will not fire in a police positive special.

From the information you provided I will say you have a police positive special.

*this gun appraisal/ identification was anonymous advice on the Internet using only the details provided by the OP I assume no responsibility for under sale or damage incurred by the OP as a result of my advice.
    Last edited by rwreagan; 02-13-13 at 12:31 AM.

hi, the gun actually has no wear at all from the holster, blueing on it is great. i would say its about 85-90% condition. thank you for the response.

rwreagan is offline Hawks>Broncos rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute rwreagan has a reputation beyond repute
    I'd say you're value is probably 400 dollars or so then. Like I said they're common revolvers, but they makea nice heirloom and a cheap carry gun if you like open carry or a good day at the range. I would love to own one, they're nice revolvers

My grandfather also gave my father a Colt Cobra snub nose revolver 38 special, probably 85-90% condition as well. We found a purchase receipt from 1969 for $120. Are these worth anything?

Now that's a different story. The colt "snake" revolvers such as the python, anaconda, etc fetch good values. 750 easy. I've see some on gunbroker going for 800 dollars. Now the king cobra in .357 in 90% would fetch over a thousand.

ill have to look into that. thank you again for the information

MikeG is online now Veteran Member MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Quote Originally Posted by rwreagan View Post
    Now that's a different story. The colt "snake" revolvers such as the python, anaconda, etc fetch good values. 750 easy. I've see some on gunbroker going for 800 dollars. Now the king cobra in .357 in 90% would fetch over a thousand.
    what about those 15 round .45 Colt cowboy revolvers I see in the movies? They have to be very pricey.

Your best bet is to sell whatever you have to Norm.

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    According to the serial number, it was made in 1922. Police Positives (.38 and .32 calibers) and Detective Specials were in the same series of serial numbers.

Prices are all over the wall. I have a nickle plated Colt Detective Special made in 1958. Prices seem to range from just over $300 to quite a bit more. It's not for sale though, I bought it from another cop in 1975 for $125. It carries 6 rounds as opposed to the 5 that S&W 2" revolvers carry.

I sold my Colt nickle plated Python in 1988 for $700. It's like anything, you can get what people are willing to pay.
    Last edited by retdetsgt; 02-13-13 at 09:38 AM.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Norm357 is offline I'm too sexy for my shirt Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Don't shoot +P ammo in the Police Positive. Other than that it is a fine carry gun. The Cobra should be a safe queen. Prices are going nowhere but up.
    "In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

Sheriff, we are coming for you.

No, I am not an expert, but I am a fat guy who likes to eat.

http://www.aspca.org/images/content/...der/575925.jpg
    www.iCuban.com

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    Don't shoot +P ammo in the Police Positive. Other than that it is a fine carry gun. The Cobra should be a safe queen. Prices are going nowhere but up.
    That's why I like my old Colt Detective Spl. It's an all steel frame and can shoot +P. The little S&W Chief's Specials couldn't nor as I understand it, the later model Colts.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by retdetsgt View Post
    That's why I like my old Colt Detective Spl. It's an all steel frame and can shoot +P. The little S&W Chief's Specials couldn't nor as I understand it, the later model Colts.
    uh-oh, Guess I better call my friend and tell him NOT to carry his chief's special with the +p handloads I made him.....

RDS, can the model 10 use +p ? that you know of?

as far as colts, other then the police postitive they don't seem to come cheap anymore. the detective specials were like 500 bucks last time I went to cabela's

Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by rwreagan View Post
    RDS, can the model 10 use +p ? that you know of?
    I believe so. Some guys were still carrying them when we using .38's and they issued +P to everyone except those with the Chief's Special, I'm pretty sure.

I really don't know all that much about guns, but they told me my old Colt Detective Special could because it was pre 1967 and was all steel frame. By that, I assume the newer ones are some kind of alloy?

My Little Buddy

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Colt detective specials can handle +p

With Smiths, look at the rear of the recoil shield, between the shield and the cylinder latch. If there's a strip of metal which sits higher than the rest of the metal, its rated for +p.

If that strip of metal is not there, it is not rated for +p

Edit to add: That goes for both model 10s and Chief specials.
    Last edited by ChesCopPodz; 02-24-13 at 01:04 PM.
    Pittsburgh Pirates- 1st place NL Central 7/15/11

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

KellyTo330 is offline Junior Member KellyTo330 is on a distinguished road

Where is serial number on a Colt Police Special .38?

I have my great grandfather's Colt police special. He died in 1942 so I know it was made before then. I have tried to find the serial number to no avail. Under the handgrips I found a number that looks like it was hand engraved. 0148464.

Thanks
    Kelly

16. This ad will disappear if you login

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast