Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
    ltdave is offline Junior Member ltdave is on a distinguished road

NSA Investigator

Greetings to all, and a happy Labor Day!

I have questions regarding an opening with NSA as an Investigator; having already done a search on here for this position I found that there hasn’t been a new thread for some time and I was hoping for current or first-hand information. Anything anyone might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

1. Typical job duties. Some previous postings have referred to the Investigator position as one of a background investigator and polygrapher. This current posting details a more 1811-type position with actual investigation responsibility. Any current data?

2. The salary range for this position is $89,033-$155,500. Coming from inside of the federal government, would pay matching be likely? Obviously, from one job to the next, no one wants to have a drop in salary.

3. OT opportunities? Travel? Or, will is this position based at HQ with limited opportunities to be out and about?

4. While I recognize that this is not a typical 1811-type position, what are the LE benefits of this position? Is there a firearms requirement, and if so, is off-duty carry authorized? Are statutory powers of arrest authorized? I am aware that this positioned is credentialed as a “Special Agent”, but am unaware of actual responsibilities awarded by the agency.

5. Without going into any specifics, obviously to avoid any OPSEC-related concerns, is there any type of career progression within this job field or will you be an Investigator for the entirety of your career? Also, are there any other opportunities which are available which can broaden the opportunities for personnel?

As usual – thanks for all of your help. If you’d like to send a private message instead of posting to the group, that would be fine as well. I appreciate any insight that anyone might have regarding this position.

Cheers!
    Ethan

ltdave is offline Junior Member ltdave is on a distinguished road
    Responsibilities

The Inspector General (IG) of the National Security Agency (NSA) plans, conducts, and supervises investigations, inspections, audits, and other reviews of NSA programs and operations. IG investigators conduct inquiries into possible violations of civil and criminal law, rules, and regulations governing mismanagement, fraud, waste of funds, and abuse of authority within the Agency.

- Conduct investigations, using a full range of investigative techniques, including computer forensic analysis. Investigations cover a wide spread of allegations of fraud, violations of standards of conduct and Executive Orders governing U.S. intelligence activities, whistleblower reprisal, misuse of government funds, improper procurement practices, contract fraud, and many other matters. Some investigations are conducted in conjunction with federal law enforcement entities and the U.S. Department of Justice.
    - Plan, conduct, and report on these investigations. Collect documentary and physical evidence, interview witnesses, analyze evidence, and present investigative conclusions.
    - Conduct legal analysis to reach conclusions in accordance with law, regulations, professional standards, and NSA policy and produce written documents incorporating legal research.
    Qualifications

- Entry is with a high school diploma and 7 years of experience, or an Associate's degree and 5 years of experience, or a Bachelor's degree and 3 years of experience.
    - Bachelor's degree preferred in criminology, law enforcement, psychology, or other behavioral science.
    - Specialized experience in law enforcement investigations or related experience.
    - IG investigation experience from another agency.

The ideal applicant for this position will have demonstrated high standards of personal ethics and integrity, as well as independence and objectivity. The individual should possess superior judgment and analytical skills and be able to communicate effectively, candidly, accurately, and constructively with senior military and civilian officials inside and outside NSA.
    Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule

Salary is commensurate with experience and education.

Salary Range: $89,033-$155,500

MikeG is offline Veteran Member MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    I believe Joey bag of donuts is attached to the OIG. I didn't know 1811 came in different flavors as typical or atypical. I thought it either is an 1811 or it's not. The pay range seems high for entry level 1811 though (I think the numbers given are GS-13/15 in DC). This doesn't sound like a sworn position to me since none of the description mentions arrest authority, warrants, etc.

It sounds like the CIA one here:
    https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportun...ial-agent.html

Sounds kind of squirelly on the actual authority part. If I were a betting person I would think they want the skills/knowledge/experience of a sworn investigator but not any duty to actually enforce laws so they can make decisions at agency/OIG level as to where investigations go. The "Executive Orders governing U.S. intelligence activities" was interesting.

Not a LEO though.
    Captain Frank Drebin,
    "Hello. I'm Lieutenant Drebin,Detective Sergeant,Police Squad."

"Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses."

Jay: All right, I'm in. But there's one thing you gotta remember: You chose me..so you recognized the skills, so I don't want nobody calling me son or kid or sport or nothing like that, cool?
    Kay: Cool, whatever you say, slick, but I need to tell you something about all your skills. As of right now, they mean precisely..d**k.

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    I believe Joey bag of donuts is attached to the OIG. I didn't know 1811 came in different flavors as typical or atypical. I thought it either is an 1811 or it's not.
    I am. Most are 1811. Some are 1801. Some are just "investigators" without guns but most are full blwon 1811's. Howvere, depending on the agency attached to, the work can very greatly! Some are all procurement fruad, some health care fraud/medicaid fraud, some are general crime based, etc... When going to a OIG one really needs to look at the agency and mission.....as you may be out handling a variety of crimes such as homocided and drugs at one agency or riding a deks going through paperwork all day at another. It all depends. Additionally, most are covered under 6C and get LEAP, however there are a few who do not.

The pay range seems high for entry level 1811 though (I think the numbers given are GS-13/15 in DC). This doesn't sound like a sworn position to me since none of the description mentions arrest authority, warrants, etc. It sounds like the CIA one here: https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportun...ial-agent.html Sounds kind of squirelly on the actual authority part. If I were a betting person I would think they want the skills/knowledge/experience of a sworn investigator but not any duty to actually enforce laws so they can make decisions at agency/OIG level as to where investigations go. The "Executive Orders governing U.S. intelligence activities" was interesting.
    Yep...CIA OIG is not a plce to go if you want to make arrests. Hense the "Special Agent/Investigator" title vs. the typical "Special Agent/Criminal Investigator." They get no guns, have investigative authority but lack direct arrest authority. I can arrest on my statutory authority granted. They have to be deputized annually by the USMS. No LEAP and no 6C retriement. Anything "good" with internals is typically turned over to clandestine services or another OIG who has authority (usually DOJ IG) to handle for criminal.
    Last edited by Joeyd6; 09-08-11 at 05:10 PM.
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

Power_Ball007 is offline Junior Member Power_Ball007 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ltdave View Post
    Responsibilities

The Inspector General (IG) of the National Security Agency (NSA) plans, conducts, and supervises investigations, inspections, audits, and other reviews of NSA programs and operations. IG investigators conduct inquiries into possible violations of civil and criminal law, rules, and regulations governing mismanagement, fraud, waste of funds, and abuse of authority within the Agency.

- Conduct investigations, using a full range of investigative techniques, including computer forensic analysis. Investigations cover a wide spread of allegations of fraud, violations of standards of conduct and Executive Orders governing U.S. intelligence activities, whistleblower reprisal, misuse of government funds, improper procurement practices, contract fraud, and many other matters. Some investigations are conducted in conjunction with federal law enforcement entities and the U.S. Department of Justice.
    - Plan, conduct, and report on these investigations. Collect documentary and physical evidence, interview witnesses, analyze evidence, and present investigative conclusions.
    - Conduct legal analysis to reach conclusions in accordance with law, regulations, professional standards, and NSA policy and produce written documents incorporating legal research.
    Qualifications

- Entry is with a high school diploma and 7 years of experience, or an Associate's degree and 5 years of experience, or a Bachelor's degree and 3 years of experience.
    - Bachelor's degree preferred in criminology, law enforcement, psychology, or other behavioral science.
    - Specialized experience in law enforcement investigations or related experience.
    - IG investigation experience from another agency.

The ideal applicant for this position will have demonstrated high standards of personal ethics and integrity, as well as independence and objectivity. The individual should possess superior judgment and analytical skills and be able to communicate effectively, candidly, accurately, and constructively with senior military and civilian officials inside and outside NSA.
    Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule

Salary is commensurate with experience and education.

Salary Range: $89,033-$155,500

I will give you some info on this job. Uniform experience can be substituted for experience. Salary range is GS-12 to GS-15, however promotion is very difficult once in. A s&* load of opportunities for travel and TDY all over the world (Iraq& Afghanistan) as well as U.S. Special Assignments such as executive security, JTTF Assignments, and advance training. Polygraph school is required I think also. 1810 CI Investigator, interview foreign nationals in the Middle East, issue duty weapon, no 24hr carry unless on special assignment or JTTF.

Citicop is offline The Original Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    powerball-

Again, please stop posting in long dormant threads. It's considered bad form here. The OP in this thread has not logged on since 2 hours after the original question was posted in 2011, so your advice is probably not helping him.

Also, you seem to be dispensing advice, but we have no context as to its quality because we know nothing about your qualifications or experience. Maybe you should stop by the "New Member Introductions" section and post an intro so we know a little bit about you...

-Citicop.
    Last edited by Citicop; 04-04-13 at 07:14 PM.
    Sometimes there's Justice...
    and sometimes, there's Just Us
    1*

In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

7. This ad will disappear if you login