Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    Zman1 is offline Junior Member Zman1 is on a distinguished road

age restrictions for federal agents

Does anyone know if the federal government is ever going to lift the 37 year old age restriction for fed agents? I know that some agencies have started to hire military vets as a result of lawsuit Isabella vs State Dept. Are there ways to get a waiver and if so how? Also, are there any agencies that do hire past 37 years old. I am 42 years old with 15 years in civilian law enforcement with no prior military service. Any response would be appreciated.

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman1 View Post
    Does anyone know if the federal government is ever going to lift the 37 year old age restriction for fed agents?
    Except for people in the future (and I'm not aware of a way with today's technology to speak to them), no one presently "knows" if the age requirement for federal LE jobs will ever be lifted. What I mean by that is that it's OPM regulations, and regardless of the fact that probably all federal LE agencies see plenty of applicants come their way with outstanding skill sets, but who age past the maximum age limit, there's yet to be a lifting of the OPM's regulation (it was increased from age 35 to 37 a few years back, but nothing as far as a lifting in the sense of doing away with it). The unfortunate truth of the matter for applicants like you is that it's not really a priority of the federal LE agencies to fight against the OPM regulation because they have plenty of applicants who fit within the regulation requirements (and agencies that don't can obtain a waiver as needed). FWIW, I'd be in favor of having the age limit lifted, as people tend to stay healthier and in the work force longer today than they did 20 - 50 years ago, but I doubt you'll see a lifting of the federal LE age requirement in the immediate future.

I know that some agencies have started to hire military vets as a result of lawsuit Isabella vs State Dept.
    I'm not an agency recruiter, so I'm not always provided the most up-to-date info on hiring for my agency, or any agency, but I believe the results of that lawsuit deal only with military vets. Everyone else does not qualify because of a lack of veterans preference.

Are there ways to get a waiver and if so how? Also, are there any agencies that do hire past 37 years old. I am 42 years old with 15 years in civilian law enforcement with no prior military service. Any response would be appreciated.
    Waivers can be given to an agency, not an applicant. Some agencies have waivers up to age 40 (I believe US Border Patrol does, or did very recently), but they are relatively rare. The only other option I know of is Air Force OSI can hire agents with specific skill sets past age 37, but they are the only agency I'm aware of with this sort of hiring program, and most hired under this program are former active duty military agents who are converting to civilian agents (though it might be worth giving it a shot): Air Force Office of Special Investigations - Civilian Vacancies (look at the vacancies listed as "B" announcements, vice "A" announcements).
    Last edited by Kimble; 11-24-09 at 06:16 PM.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

John Wilkinson is offline Junior Member John Wilkinson is on a distinguished road

Federal Age Restrictions

There are some exceptions being granted for the 37 year old start date for certain prior military service. However, without any prior military service or other federal service that would qualify towards your retirement, it is unlikely that there is any way around this. While all of the 1811 positions (criminal investigator) have this retirement, and thus the maximum start age of 37, there may be other job series that you may want to look at. Whether these other job series are considered law enforcement would vary. Other job series to look at include;

GS-1800 INVESTIGATION GROUP
    GS-1801 General Inspection, Investigation, and Compliance
    GS-1802 Compliance Inspection and Support
    GS-1810 General Investigating
    GS-1811 Criminal Investigating
    GS-1812 Game Law Enforcement
    GS-1854 Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Inspection
    GS-1862 Consumer Safety Inspection
    GS-1884 Customs Patrol Officer
    GS-1890 Customs Inspection
    GS-1896 Border Patrol Agent
    GS-1899 Investigation Student Trainee

MISCELLANEOUS OCCUPATIONS
    GS-0025 Park Ranger
    GS-0082 United States Marshal
    GS-0083 Police
    GS-0084 Nuclear Materials Courier
    GS-0085 Security Guard

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I am going to be bold and say it won't happen in your life. It would take a complete re-write of federal policy on too many aspects. The age requirement is there for one reason: RETIREMENT. The law states all federal LEOS must be out by 57. The reasons are health related, specifcially when the laws were written, it was found that cops LEOS are under extreme stress andpressure and the irregular shifts, etc..., tend to take years off a life. Thus, cops can retire earliers to balance it out.

Now the fed system states to get a full retirment, you need to work 20 years.

57 years old - 20 years of service = 37.

Try getting anyone on the Hill to even discuss it. The headaches in even considering such are huge. And lets not mention cost.

Most fed LEOS went through a major medical exam to get in, and have a PT routine and PT testing routine. I know in my FLETC class the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service had a 45 year old uniformed officer going through my CITP/1811 class since the area he covered was remote and they were tired of sending a 1811 out to him when he volunteered for the duties. This guy was in shape, former Marine, ran his 5 miles each morning in his own, did his pull-ups and push-ups. Great guy. But after week 3 at FLETC, he went back to unifomr because the new FLETC PT/DT program was too much.

The feds look at cost. Why hire man A, 42 years old, no fed experience, has been doing things for 15 years somebody elses way, spend $250K to get him hired and trained our way in an acdemy setting he has not seen in 14 years, and leaves in 12 years, when you can have man B, a 27 year old, who has only been doing thing somebody elses way for 3 years, spend $250K to get him hired and trained our way in an academy similar to what he did only two years prior, and we keep him 30 years? That is the gov's view of it.
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

Switchback is offline Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wilkinson View Post
    There are some exceptions being granted for the 37 year old start date for certain prior military service. However, without any prior military service or other federal service that would qualify towards your retirement, it is unlikely that there is any way around this. While all of the 1811 positions (criminal investigator) have this retirement, and thus the maximum start age of 37, there may be other job series that you may want to look at. Whether these other job series are considered law enforcement would vary. Other job series to look at include;

GS-0025 Park Ranger
    GS-0083 Police
    GS-0085 Security Guard
    Even with military time, it is very unlikely that you will get a waiver... unless you have a Senator as a family friend.

Also, the GS-0082 is also 6C covered and held to the 37 year age cut-off.
    We bring evil things to evil people, kicking in a door near you!

."In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But,
    in practice, there is."

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like
    an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig
    was'committed'."

-unknown

Working on a PhD in CQB one doorway at a time.

When the wolf attacks, he will find not all who run with the flock are sheep!

BP348 is offline always trust your dog BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute BP348 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Even USBP has a cutoff at 40.

As stated at 42 with no prior Federal Law Enforcement or Military service I'd say you won't be considered.
    Wrong door, buddy

1depd is offline Veteran Member 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute 1depd has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wilkinson View Post

GS-0025 Park Ranger
    GS-0083 Police
    GS-0085 Security Guard
    This appears to be an old list as some of the jobs aren't around any longer. 1896 and I believe 0084 are also covered under 12(d) and have a max age.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

Translation for the intellectually challenged: If the government screws the people too much, it is the right and duty of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Who is John Galt?

Zman1 is offline Junior Member Zman1 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the information. I may look into the Air Force OSI. I live close to Scott AFB in Illinois and I know they have an office there.

9. This ad will disappear if you login