Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FLETC Advise

DC_Field is offline Junior Member DC_Field

FLETC Advise

First post

Anyone have any insight/advice on how to prepare mentally and physically for FLETC (Georgia)?

Classroom study, physical training, typical day etc, downtime

Thanks

Switchback is offline Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Hopoefully you are already in shape for the FLETC. Mentally, the hardest part of FLETC is getting there. Study for the first exam and then gauge all your studying off that one. The instructors always say that the next one is the hardest. They are all the same. Some people need to study more than others, no big deal. Just study for the 1st and then you will know where you stand.

If you can... DRIVE! I would have never survived my 16 weeeks without a car. I even drove there for a 1 week advance school and a 1 week instructor school. It's just real nice haveing the car and the say to do what you want in the evenings.

I considered the TV opional. Bring one if you really need it, but I did not bother. They do have cable hook-ups in the rooms n ow, though. Also, bring your laptop if you have one.
    We bring evil things to evil people, kicking in a door near you!

."In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But,
    in practice, there is."

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like
    an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig
    was'committed'."

-unknown

Working on a PhD in CQB one doorway at a time.

When the wolf attacks, he will find not all who run with the flock are sheep!

Thank you both for the insight.

I will be there with the USCP, what does that mean for the physical intensity?

tunlrat is offline Dangermouse-Powerhouse tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute
    Hey DC Field, how long was your application process from start to finish? Good luck at FLETC. I was there myself in 2002. Listen to everybody else & try bring a car or you'll go crazy on the weekends!!

ElPaso is offline Junior Member ElPaso
    DC Law,

See if you can help me. I'm worried about the training for Immigration Enforcement Agent which is with Homeland Security Agency.
    What is the training like? I had torn ligaments on my ankle and I can run o.k. but I'm worried about any agility tests that they might have. Like climbing walls and jumping down.
    Have you heard or seen any training related to this agency?

Thank you in advance

tunlrat,

Took the initial exam in April, got my official offer in the last week of September. That was about the fastest I have heard of, I know others who took just over a year.

ElPaso is offline Junior Member ElPaso
    Thank you DC Law for the quick response.

I feel better now and I will take your advice and start running and doing those push-ups.

tunlrat is offline Dangermouse-Powerhouse tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute tunlrat has a reputation beyond repute
    DC Field,
    Thanks for the heads up. You should check in from time to time & relay the 411 on training & stuff. Yeah, took the written a few days ago myself. Afterward, I talked to a Capitol uniform standing a lonely post for the inside scoop. Seems to me the job got 3 great "pros" & 1 outwardly apparent "con." The pros? 1) Endless OT opportunities. 2) Instant cover--The District is swarming with uniformed LEOs. 3) Specialty units--if you can get in them of course. The con? Well, as DC Law graciously put it--standing the ubiquitous fixed post. But hey also like he said, still seems like a good job.

pgapro112 is offline Junior Member pgapro112
    Anyone know what the physical training is like for criminal investigators (special agents) with the Customs service?

Switchback is offline Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    The Customs-specific requirements (assuming there are some) would be on their webpage. Go to FLETC's webpage to see the requirements you willbe held to while at Criminal Investigator school (your first 9 weeks).
    We bring evil things to evil people, kicking in a door near you!

."In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But,
    in practice, there is."

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like
    an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig
    was'committed'."

-unknown

Working on a PhD in CQB one doorway at a time.

When the wolf attacks, he will find not all who run with the flock are sheep!

Island_Girl is offline spoken for Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
    Anyone hear from DC Field on how he did?
    ***Island Girl***

The first destructive natural tendency
    is a sinful reaction when things do not go our way.

All went well. Classes were good, some challenging, some a waste. Physcially it seemed different per agency/program.

Be in shape when you go and you will be fine. Nothing great, just be active. Some people there clearly were not and it cost them. Thanks for asking.

Island_Girl is offline spoken for Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute Island_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
    DC-Field,
    Tell us more about your trip to FLETC. What did you have to do for the USCP training there? PT? Driving? Shooting? Classroom?? Let us know.
    Thanks!
    ***Island Girl***

superc is offline Banned superc is on a distinguished road
    The worse thing about FLETC is the boredom of your fourth or tenth trip through there. Back in the 70s when they started it, Brunswick, GA was a sleepy little town of 4,000 or so and the airport was part of the FLETC campus with 400 or so students and the school was really a fun place and laughter filled the halls. You had to be an 083 or an 1811 to get there. No 301s, 1801s, 1802s, 1810s, no 085s, no contractors, no BOP types. Just police. Cops and agents with 25 to 30 years on the street provided training, lived on or near the base and held everyone-invited parties at their homes on Friday or Saturday nights. Pistol matches with money wagered on Saturdays. Customs boats used for fishing boats on weekends. Durn good fishing too. GS-4 was durn good money by local GA standards in those days. Smart recruits at higher grades bought houses there for $15K to $20K. Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s the school armory got hit and emptied and the base police on duty that night were killed. Big changes soon after that. Many good, but some not so good. Today the campus is the big business for miles around, but it is a whole lot smaller than the original property was. Lots of new buildings. The airport and much of the school's property was sold to the county and is now the Glyn County Airport. I think the original Customs dock is gone and they have a rented dock now. Certainly that waterfront school land is all houses now. Groups of 5 to 10 foot alligators on the path used to make late night strolls between the old WWII wooden buildings with pretty coed Agents interesting events. Now they are rounded up and moved as soon as they are spotted and reach 6 inches or so. Just as well, as public displays of affection are not encouraged. What is it now, 6,000 students? All the $250K houses and the office buildings behind the airport are on land that used to be on land held by the school. Of course the firing ranges are lots smaller now than they used to be. Just as well I guess. There are no more 100 yard pistol ranges. No one teaches that anymore. Too hard to justify in court. Not much 50 or 25 yard shooting either. Now you go in a little trailer and simulate at 7 yards with a tinier target and smile when the 22 year old instructor tells you it is exactly the same as shooting 25 or 50 yards. (No it isn't. Not even close.) The judgement shoot is much better than the old cardboard and probably safer than the old live fire fun house. No more friendly intra class pistol matches on weekends. Many of the instructors have teaching, not police experience. There is very little fraternization between instructors and students. There is a dress code now. If you are going there for the first time, don't disagree with the instructor. If you know he is wrong about something, don't tell them. They take a dim view of troublemakers these days. Just learn the official mantra and learn to recite it when asked. There is very little laughter in class these days.
    Last edited by superc; 02-11-04 at 06:20 AM.

Superc, no offense.....but you're not even close. When was the last time you were there and for what training? I would say there has been a substantial upgrade from what it used to be.

Edit: Put the "T" in the word BUT. How could I forget the T????
    Last edited by Island_Girl; 02-12-04 at 08:39 AM.
    ***Island Girl***

16. This ad will disappear if you login