Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    APD92 is offline Junior Member APD92 has a reputation beyond repute APD92 has a reputation beyond repute APD92 has a reputation beyond repute APD92 has a reputation beyond repute APD92 has a reputation beyond repute APD92 has a reputation beyond repute APD92 has a reputation beyond repute APD92 has a reputation beyond repute APD92 has a reputation beyond repute APD92 has a reputation beyond repute APD92 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

Special US Deputy Marshal

I know any non-fed assigned to any federal task force is credentialed at a Special US Deputy Marshal. My question are:

1) Do they just give you an ID card or is there an actaul Special Deputy US Marshal badge?

2) What authority do these credentials give you, do you possess the same authority as a Deputy US Marshal? Can you take cases to the US Attorney for prosecution?

Thanks

Group9 is offline Hurricanes suck! Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I was made one at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996 and I didn't get no stickin' badge or ID card. :D
    "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

Old Chinese Proverb

smcc360 is offline Puts the 'Duh' in DUSM smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute smcc360 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    The state and local officers on the task force I work with all get a full set of credentials (ID and tin).

The primary benefit is that it allows them unrestricted carry in non-reciprocal states (in my area, that's Jersey). As a practical matter, we handle contact with AUSAs, and they handle ADAs; just sticking to what we know.
    "There is only one basic human right: the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty: the duty to take the consequences."
    -P. J. O'Rourke

Valor55 is offline Stercus accidit Valor55 has disabled reputation
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
    I was made one at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996 and I didn't get no stickin' badge or ID card. :D
    Same thing when I worked Bush's first inauguration. They swore us in for the day so nothing was issued.

Sounds like if you are assigned to a task force where you will be in it for a period of time you get the tin and creds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Swat1 is offline Veteran Member Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute Swat1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

Special Deputy USM

If you are assigned to a federal task force and the federal agency "sponsors" you to be a federal task force agent (TFA) then you will be sworn in by the US Marshal in the district, however, any issuance of a badge and credentials fall on the sponsoring agency.

I was a TFA with the FBI on a violent crimes task force for six years. I was sworn in by the US Marshal for the District of Oregon and my credentials were issued by the FBI. We used our agency badges, but had FBI TFA credentials. As a task force, we could have commissioned a badge (after jumping through some hoops) but it was never an issue. Anytime I was acting within my federal authority, I used the credentials and they worked just fine.

Swat1*

Group9 is offline Hurricanes suck! Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute Group9 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Swat1 View Post
    If you are assigned to a federal task force and the federal agency "sponsors" you to be a federal task force agent (TFA) then you will be sworn in by the US Marshal in the district, however, any issuance of a badge and credentials fall on the sponsoring agency.

I was a TFA with the FBI on a violent crimes task force for six years. I was sworn in by the US Marshal for the District of Oregon and my credentials were issued by the FBI. We used our agency badges, but had FBI TFA credentials. As a task force, we could have commissioned a badge (after jumping through some hoops) but it was never an issue. Anytime I was acting within my federal authority, I used the credentials and they worked just fine.

Swat1*
    That is the same way it is for state and local officers who are assigned as full time DEA Task Force Agents. They carry DEA issued credentials and badges, and are in the DEA chain of command, but in reality, they are Special Deputy United States Marshals. State and local officers who are deputized as SDUSM's to work with DEA on a case specific, or on a temporary basis, have a DEA form that grants them the same status and which conveys the same authority. Other federal agents, (such as ICE agents, for example), who are assigned to a DEA task force full time, operate off of their agency credentials, and may or may not be deputized, depending on what their parent agency's jurisdiction is.

I suspect this is pretty much how it is done in most federal agencies who use the SDUSM authority.

Old Chinese Proverb

Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    http://www.opm.gov/programs/ipa/

For more info on how state and local officers go to work for a federal agency on a temporary basis.

Old Chinese Proverb

LastChance36 is offline Playboy Chief of Security LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I am a local detective working as a Task Force Agent assigned to an ID Theft/White Collar Crime Task Force run by USPIS. We were all sworn in as a SDUSM's but didn't receive any badge or creds from either the USMS or USPIS. We got a piece of paper to sign after the Marshal swore us all in and thats it. No big deal with us because the chance of us actually having to make an arrest outside the area is slim and I really don't see us serving any federal warrants when we work with every other ABC federal agency in the city on the task force. Nice to put on a resume though!!

Switchback is offline Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    It really matters on a resume? Outside of yoru duties on the TF, the deputization really means nothing. Hmm... who would have thunk it.

FWIW, the locals assigned to our TF (a U.S. Marshals Fugitive task force) DO have creds with a miniature badge on them. I don't see the purpose, though. They use their police creds for everything... the shirts and gear with USMS all over, intermingled with their departmental insignia, seems to be confusion enough.
    We bring evil things to evil people, kicking in a door near you!

."In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But,
    in practice, there is."

- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like
    an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig
    was'committed'."

-unknown

Working on a PhD in CQB one doorway at a time.

When the wolf attacks, he will find not all who run with the flock are sheep!

LastChance36 is offline Playboy Chief of Security LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute LastChance36 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

I agree...

Where the deputation of fugitive TF's are vital, and for ours, I can see the basic reason for it as well, but we just don't have the opportunities to use our Special Deputy "powers" since we have so many other fed guys on board. If we need any federal warrants or other things done through the USA, they usually run it and we are just along for support, which is fine with me. It's good to have just in case, but thats really it. As a matter of fact, the Marshal had no clue of who were were or that our TF even existed when we all showed up to be sworn in. 5 minutes with a handshake and we were out the door. As for the resume remark, I guess no one could see my tongue firmly inserted in my cheek when I said it! :D

Switchback is offline Just milling around... Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute Switchback has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Well, the other fed task forces do not get these credentials. The FBI has one where it is a few agents and the rest (about 20) are locals. As far as I know, they are given nothing either. Like I said, I really don't see the necessity in it. When the dust settles, them (and you ) will be covered.

in practice, there is."

was'committed'."

-unknown

timberwulf is offline Junior Member timberwulf will become famous soon enough timberwulf will become famous soon enough
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by smcc360 View Post
    The primary benefit is that it allows them unrestricted carry in non-reciprocal states (in my area, that's Jersey).
    On July 7, 2004, the Senate voted to pass H.B. 218 the National Concealed Carry for Cops legislation that was passed by the House on June 23, 2004. On July 22, 2004, President George W. Bush signed into law what is officially entitled the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004. This law allows qualified active (on- or off-duty) and honorably retired law enforcement officers to carry their firearms concealed nationwide.

Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Hmm... never heard of that. :rolleyes:

Most of us, WORKING, don't have time for the time that it would take to confirm that an individual falls under H.R. 218.

Obviously, you have not been to Jersey. Also, H.R.218 does not address the ammo issue... and hollow points are illegal in Jersey.

in practice, there is."

was'committed'."

-unknown

ngcsubutterbar is offline Veteran Member ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute ngcsubutterbar has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    I'd rather have the federal creds if I had any say in it. With cases in the past 'after' that legislation got signed where cops carrying were not only stopped and detained, but I believe one was arrested up in the nanny states. Besides that the legislation states specifically that federal rules trump it.

switch, should you be moving this to the other side of the fence? I really don't see why it has to be over here unless the OP wanted it that way.
    Last edited by ngcsubutterbar; 01-03-08 at 10:50 PM.
    GeorgiaCarry.Org and NRA member

Vi et Consilio

Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I think it is ok, for now. Some non-verifeds have had good input and I don't see anything that is an officer safety issue. Of course, if I missed something, I am open ears.

in practice, there is."

was'committed'."

-unknown

16. This ad will disappear if you login