Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    What the heck? is offline Junior Member What the heck? is on a distinguished road

How long does 911 keep the ...

How long do they keep the recordings of incoming calls? I'm in Houston and working on a piece (lit) that I'd would like the facts before I get in trouble. Where do I find this information at?

GoDirectly2Jail is offline Do Not Collect $200 GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by What the heck? View Post
    How long do they keep the recordings of incoming calls? I'm in Houston and working on a piece (lit) that I'd would like the facts before I get in trouble. Where do I find this information at?
    Why do you want to know how long recordings are kept? What is the "piece (lit)" that you are working on that would get you in trouble? What state are you in? What locality? What did you do?

What the heck, indeed.
    Click HERE for a common sense tutorial on posting at RealPolice.net.

DISCLAIMER: The above posting, if in response to a background or hiring question, is not meant to discourage any dreams or ambitions, but instead is a brutally honest opinion based soley on the information provided by the original poster. Please note that your suitability as an applicant is NOT tied in any way with your worth as a person.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    SO........what did you do anyway ?
    Creeper Cop

MrJim911 is offline 911 Telecommunicator MrJim911 has a reputation beyond repute MrJim911 has a reputation beyond repute MrJim911 has a reputation beyond repute MrJim911 has a reputation beyond repute MrJim911 has a reputation beyond repute MrJim911 has a reputation beyond repute MrJim911 has a reputation beyond repute MrJim911 has a reputation beyond repute MrJim911 has a reputation beyond repute MrJim911 has a reputation beyond repute MrJim911 has a reputation beyond repute
    Depends on the state, municipality, etc... Could be as little as 6 months, could be as long as 3 years.

You will need to file a FOIA request with the 911 center or city/county.

JakeLock is offline Draggin' ***... JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute JakeLock has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    What the hell is piece (lit)?

Either way stop being a douchbeag
    "The enemy of my enemy is probably still my enemy."

iluvpopo is offline Junior Member iluvpopo is on a distinguished road
    Do you mean like a piece of literature? and you will get in trouble if you don't get it done on time? Thats the only sence I could make out of your question...

What the heck? is offline Junior Member What the heck? is on a distinguished road
    I'm working on a piece of fiction (lit). I don't want a fictional character doing something that would not legally be possible...thus getting into trouble. Character is going to have enough problems anyway. As for me...I have done nothing wrong that I know of except ask a question.
    I don't want to be painting LEO's in a bad light. I don't want to make it tougher for ANYONE because of a piece of fiction that may not ever even see the light of day (I'm just in the process of getting the background/setting and plot details worked out). However, I do want to the piece to be believable and accurate in describing/portraying a LEO's job and how far one would go to help some one out in a difficult situation.
    I really don't know anyone locally, on a personal basis, or I would be asking my questions of them, as I would be able to go into specifics with them and get more detailed questions answered.

GoDirectly2Jail is offline Do Not Collect $200 GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    You may be able to get your information for free by contacting the Houston PD's media relations contact.

Also, there are several officers on here that may be willing to be a professional consultant for your book for a reasonable fee. You will be selling it for a profit, I assume? And before you you say, "Surely, you must be joking", let me just say that it has been done on this board before.

...and don't call me Surely. :cool:
    Last edited by GoDirectly2Jail; 07-17-08 at 01:33 PM.
    Click HERE for a common sense tutorial on posting at RealPolice.net.

DISCLAIMER: The above posting, if in response to a background or hiring question, is not meant to discourage any dreams or ambitions, but instead is a brutally honest opinion based soley on the information provided by the original poster. Please note that your suitability as an applicant is NOT tied in any way with your worth as a person.

Lena is offline Junior Member Lena has a reputation beyond repute Lena has a reputation beyond repute Lena has a reputation beyond repute Lena has a reputation beyond repute Lena has a reputation beyond repute Lena has a reputation beyond repute Lena has a reputation beyond repute Lena has a reputation beyond repute Lena has a reputation beyond repute Lena has a reputation beyond repute Lena has a reputation beyond repute
    You wanna make certain your piece of fiction(lit) is factual... teeheeeeee. Sorry... just sayin... ;)

Creeker is offline Man of La Mancha Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute Creeker has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    You wanna make certain your piece of fiction(lit) is factual... teeheeeeee. Sorry... just sayin... ;)
    Apparently he wants "factual fictional"... I can appreciate that. ;)

But most Cops don't work in Dispatch centers.
    My Inalienable Rights were given to me by God and NOT by the Government.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."- Patrick Henry

iluvpopo is offline Junior Member iluvpopo is on a distinguished road
    As a former dispatcher I can tell you the amount of time a tape is kept really depends on the department and situation. If it is a serious 911 call it will be kept for years, because it may be needed in court. If it is a noise complaint (barking dog call) it is only kept for 90 days. Most 911 calls are kept a MINIMUM of 90 days...
    Not a badge bunny... Just respect the law...

TJMS81 is offline Senior Member TJMS81 has a reputation beyond repute TJMS81 has a reputation beyond repute TJMS81 has a reputation beyond repute TJMS81 has a reputation beyond repute TJMS81 has a reputation beyond repute TJMS81 has a reputation beyond repute TJMS81 has a reputation beyond repute TJMS81 has a reputation beyond repute TJMS81 has a reputation beyond repute TJMS81 has a reputation beyond repute TJMS81 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Are you looking for a specific case or just officer/dispatcher interactions in general? May be cheaper and easier to get a scanner.
    Last edited by TJMS81; 07-24-08 at 06:56 AM.
    -- Illigitimi Non Carborundum

StationM is offline Willow-the-Wisps StationM has a reputation beyond repute StationM has a reputation beyond repute StationM has a reputation beyond repute StationM has a reputation beyond repute StationM has a reputation beyond repute StationM has a reputation beyond repute StationM has a reputation beyond repute StationM has a reputation beyond repute StationM has a reputation beyond repute StationM has a reputation beyond repute StationM has a reputation beyond repute
    As others have said, it's agency specific, mostly based on storage space.

My agency keeps tapes for 6 months, and CAD archives for a year. The only exception would be high profile cases where copies had been requested for trials.

They are legal documents, and subject to subpoena, although we have retained many for training purposes.

I appreciate someone taking the time to get details right - always bugs me when authors have their characters do things that would never fly in the real world.

14. This ad will disappear if you login