Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
    MadKlown187 is offline Junior Member MadKlown187 is on a distinguished road

Question What States Allow 18+ years old Correction officers?

Please excuse my bad typing, i just got surgery on my right hand(I am right handed) so I am typing with one hand. takes me long enough just to type let alone try to be punctual.

Okay so long typing short, im 19 years old and in the Army reserves. I am trying to become a Cop or corrections officer. to be a cop i gotta be 21, so im gonna try for Cadet program for now.Here in Oregon you gotta be 21 for corrections also, But i heard some states hire 18+ corrections officers. Does anyone know what states? or a site that lists them? i have tried looking and couldn't figure it out.

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.

MadKlown187 is offline Junior Member MadKlown187 is on a distinguished road
    Noone?

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I have no idea but IMHO , 18 is too young to be either in Corrections or Law Enforcement.

Besides that , have you tried Google ??
    Creeper Cop

ChevySSP is offline Drive like you stole it! ChevySSP has a reputation beyond repute ChevySSP has a reputation beyond repute ChevySSP has a reputation beyond repute ChevySSP has a reputation beyond repute ChevySSP has a reputation beyond repute ChevySSP has a reputation beyond repute ChevySSP has a reputation beyond repute ChevySSP has a reputation beyond repute ChevySSP has a reputation beyond repute ChevySSP has a reputation beyond repute ChevySSP has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I don't know if this helps, but in my county in Texas they state in the paperwork that to be a Cadet Corrections Officer the minimum age is 18. Not sure if that helps though.
    Texas Finest

"Damn it, junior"

"Nearly all men can stand the test of adversity, but if you really want to test a man's character, give him power." -- Abraham Lincoln

"The basis of all morality is duty."--Robert Heinlein

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

Gringe is offline The Inevitable Gringe has a reputation beyond repute Gringe has a reputation beyond repute Gringe has a reputation beyond repute Gringe has a reputation beyond repute Gringe has a reputation beyond repute Gringe has a reputation beyond repute Gringe has a reputation beyond repute Gringe has a reputation beyond repute Gringe has a reputation beyond repute Gringe has a reputation beyond repute Gringe has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Not too sure of any state that does this, but hopefully you don't plan on moving just to become a CO at your age. You can use those extra two years to make yourself a more competitive applicant when you are ready to apply.

Examples:

1.) More time in the Reserves.
    2.) Associates or BA Degree if you already have an AA.
    3.) Life Experience and/or Work Experience.

Not sure if your state will also allow you to become certified before you're 21, but check on that.
    When the police needs help, we call Chuck Norris.

Brendon is offline Senior Señor Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute
    You can be a police officer at age 18 in some places (for example, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and I believe Vermont). I don't know about Correction Officers though. The states that allowed Officers at that age rarely hired them at that age either and usually the Department has something that makes it impossible for an 18 year old to join anyways (Like an Associates Degree requirement). I remember on another verified forum there was an Older Police Officer who joined his Department at 18, and he always joked about his father buying ammo for him and explaining the whole bar law thing (long story).

Maybe those states allow 18 Year Old CO's, but I don't know. All I know is even if I had the chance to join at that age, I wouldn't do it. Too young.

Edit: Yes, Some Places DO allow 18 year old Correction Officers. Here is a list:

Question: Would it be possible to increase the pool of CO applicants by recruiting and hiring Alaskans age 18-21?
    Answer: A change in statute/regulations would be needed.
    Background: Alaska Regulations
    13 AAC 85.210. Basic employment standards for probation, parole, and correctional officers
    (a) A person may not be hired as a probation, parole, or correctional officer unless the person meets the following minimum qualifications:
    (1) is a citizen of the United States, or a resident alien who has demonstrated the intent to become a citizen of the United States;
    (2) is 21 years of age or older;
    (3) is of good moral character;
    (4) has a high school diploma, or its equivalent, or has passed a General Educational Development (GED) test;
    ��
    The APSC explained the purpose of the age 21 restriction is to address the fact that police officers must be age 21 to enter establishments that serve alcohol, an essential part of their job.
    ��
    Because this is not an issue for COs, the age 21 restriction might reasonably be changed. Legislation would be needed, however.
    State by State Survey
    ��
    27 of 50 states responded to survey of minimum age requirements for hiring a CO.
    ��
    The following states require a CO to be 21 or older: Connecticut, California, Nevada, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Utah
    ��
    The following states allow hiring of COs who are 18 or older: Illinois, Michigan, Maryland, Virginia, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, New Jersey, Georgia, New Mexico, Louisiana, South Carolina, North Dakota and Wyoming.
    ��
    New Hampshire and North Carolina set minimum age of 20
    Updated: 9/3/2008 at 10:08:20 AM
    ��
    Idaho requires high school graduation plus two years work experience.
    ��
    Alabama, Massachusetts and Florida set minimum age of 19
    ��
    Delaware states new hire must be 19½ upon academy graduation.
    ��
    Comments:
    Alabama: Such a decision regarding daily job use of a 19-20 year old is up the warden at that particular facility. Each facility will have an institutional SOP which may or may not address.. but even the SOP is at warden discretion. I can assure that common sense would prevail and we would not place this person in a job they could not handle. Perhaps starting as a cube or tower officer, etc. The decision is facility based though, as opposed to ADOC having a statewide policy directive.
    Technically speaking, once APOSTC certified (Alabama Peace Officers Standards & Training Commission) the person is considered a law enforcement officer, regardless of age... 19, 20 or 21. Generally, an officer must have at least one year's experience before being considered for segregation.
    Idaho: Idaho Department of Correction does not have an age limit however; to hire someone as a CO they do need to have two years of work experience that is received after their high school graduation date.
    Minnesota: to qualify for further consideration and assessment as a correctional officer, applicants must:
    Be at least 18 years of age to work at an adult facility. Must be 21 years or older to work at a juvenile facility unless enrolled or have completed course work in a post-secondary education program to pursue a degree in behavioral science; AND possess a high school diploma or GED; AND possess a valid driver’s license (may be required for specific assignments); AND be able to pass a criminal history background investigation, which will be conducted prior to hire as a trainee.
    If the applicant meets the above criteria, "further consideration and assessment" looks at additional education and work experience.
    Virginia: High school graduate or equivalent, physically and mentally fit to perform the essential job functions; good communications skills (oral and written) and good interpersonal skills; clean record (no felony or domestic violence convictions); ability to read and comprehend post orders, policies and procedures; ability to prepare legible written documentation and correspondence of activities within security; leadership ability; honest, reliable, work well with others, assertive, team player, eager to learn and willing to work hard.
    S. C.: The SC Department of Corrections has been hiring correctional officer cadets (18-20) for a number of years now. These individuals go through all of the training except for weapons. They can work any post that does NOT require a weapon. Once they turn 21 they complete the weapons training and obtain full certification.
    Wyoming: In the last year, the Wyoming Department of Corrections has hired correctional officers aged 18 for the first time. We have had good experience with them. During the past 2 years we have strengthened our hiring practices, require that the applicant take an integrity test, writing test, and several other tests. We have usually waited until they're 21.
    If you have specific questions, contact our Recruiter, Brenda Reedy, at bring@wdoc.state.wy.us
    Mass.: Correction Officers are considered for hire after taking and passing the civil service examination. This examination is open to persons who have reached the age of 19 as of the date of the examination.

I'm sorry for the long wall of text. But I cannot post .pdf links yet due to my low post count. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Brendon; 05-03-09 at 08:17 PM.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Although the minimum age is 18 in PA , I havn't seen one of these RARE birds since the late 70's. In this day and age and in my state , an 18 year old is NOT going to get hired as a Police Officer.

This is the mindset that if a person meets the MINIMUM standards , that they will get hired. What dept on earth even begins to consider an applicant who meets the minimum standards when there are a TON of applicants with degrees , military , prior experience and just plain maturity ???

Rather than face rejection after rejection as an 18 yr old applicant....one should get a degree / go in the military / establish a good work history / get some life experience etc and than apply as an older , wiser and BETTER applicant.
    Creeper Cop

Brendon is offline Senior Señor Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute Brendon has a reputation beyond repute
    That's right. Even if they do hire at 18, most of the time you'll need a degree and work experience of some sort.

Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    In New Jersey you can be 18 for both. I actually went to the academy with a girl who had to miss a day for her high school graduation. Typically though these are part-timers who leave their firearms at the station at the end of the day. FEW seem mature enough to be in the role they are handed. But hell its a great way to get the pension started and get out after 25.

I do know of a handful of guys that made it full-time by 25. Typically though most places are looking for AT LEAST 21. Seriously nothing is worse than a kid with no real world experience trying to settle adult problems.

ALthough with this new academy class i've noticed the most mature rookie that rode with me was 19, while the mid 20 somethings have been a bit childish. You just never know...
    Last edited by danninator; 07-09-09 at 10:46 PM.
    www.marrow.org

We walk the streets at night, we go where eagles dare.

Mike_2009 is offline Junior Member Mike_2009 is on a distinguished road

19 Years Old For Correction And Deputy Sheriff In State Of FL

Brevard County Sheriff Office, Broward County Sheriff Office, St. Lucie County Sheriff Office

Be at least 19 years of age
    Be a United States citizen
    Be a High School Graduate or possess a State Equivalency
    Not have any convictions for felonies or misdemeanor offenses involving moral turpitude as outlined in FS 943.13(7)
    Pass Florida Department of Law Enforcement Criminal Justice and Training physical requirements
    Certification by Florida State Examination for Law Enforcement professionals
    Certification by Florida Police Standards Commission
    Must have an eyesight correctable to 20/30
    Possess normal hearing at a distance of 15 feet

Safety Steve is offline Respect All, Fear None Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    You can be 18 years of age to work for the Texas Department of Corrections.

Now for the dig (RDS) I don't know if you would qualify as a citizen coming from Oregon!

Be Safe.
    "I'M WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE"

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety Steve View Post
    You can be 18 years of age to work for the Texas Department of Corrections.

Now for the dig (RDS) I don't know if you would qualify as a citizen coming from Oregon!
    I used to tell people that Texas didn't have insane asylums. They sent the crazies to Orygun to be cops.

'Sides, he'd never be able to understand what the prisoners were saying.....

This must be resurrect old threads week.....
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Safety Steve is offline Respect All, Fear None Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by retdetsgt View Post
    I used to tell people that Texas didn't have insane asylums. They sent the crazies to Orygun to be cops.

'Sides, he'd never be able to understand what the prisoners were saying.....

This must be resurrect old threads week.....
    LOL! Good morning Sir!

Yes, they do speak Tex-bonics in prison down here.

Be Safe.
    "I'M WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE"

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    And good morning to you.

People up here don't understand that the word "****" has two syllables.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Thread necromancy. RIP thread.

16. This ad will disappear if you login