Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TIMMYDOME is offline Junior Member TIMMYDOME is a glorious beacon of light TIMMYDOME is a glorious beacon of light TIMMYDOME is a glorious beacon of light TIMMYDOME is a glorious beacon of light TIMMYDOME is a glorious beacon of light

Question NYSDOCS Hiring Process

Hello. Can any Correction Officers with the New York State Department Of Correctional Services tell me about the hiring process for Correction Officer Trainee? How long does it usually take and in what order does the process move (Obviously the civil service written exam is the first step and I believe an oral board interview is the second step.)? Also, during the background investigation, how far back do they look at your previous employment? I had a job in high school and my first semester of college that has since went out of business. I stopped working there in October of 2004. I have had no luck in trying to contact the owner or any of my former co-workers in order to obtain their contact information, which I am assuming I will be required to provide to my background investigator. Also, what is the academy like (Aside from being eight weeks long.). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by TIMMYDOME; 01-25-09 at 10:03 PM.

PJ06 is offline Junior Member PJ06 is on a distinguished road
    There's no board interview..after you take the civil service test you got up to Albany to do the psych..that same they they give you a day and time to see psych DR...after that they call or send a letter i forgot which one it is to go do you PT test and to see your investigator.

All the process usually takes about 10 month.I heard of some cases taking less than that.
    If i remember correctly they want to know about your employment after you graduated form high school.Put the 2004 info in there and let him know that the company went out of business.If there's a gap in any of the dates he will ask you to write what where you doing between jobs.

First night at the academy sucks.You will be running around like a chicken with no head..getting your uniform..books..id..rooms...make the bed and you have to iron at least to shirts put military creases and iron and hem at least 2 pants.it sound easy but remember you have 2 o3 other guys in the same room trying to get the same things done.You need 1 uniform to wear and the other to display.It help if you take 2 of everything they ask you for display so that way you don't need to touch your display.

When i was at the academy we had PT at 5 30 am after that breakfast then classes till 4 or 5 pm after that PT after that you are on your own.
    I'll say the first week or 2 are the hardest because you have to get use to it..after that you can start having fun :D

Any other questions let me know i'll try to help.

TIMMYDOME is offline Junior Member TIMMYDOME is a glorious beacon of light TIMMYDOME is a glorious beacon of light TIMMYDOME is a glorious beacon of light TIMMYDOME is a glorious beacon of light TIMMYDOME is a glorious beacon of light
    Thanks for the reply! So, if I score a 90 or above (I am being optimistic.), about how long after the civil service exam do you think I would have to take the physical agility test? I am trying to get in shape now for both the PAT and the academy. Also, I heard from one person that all new COs go directly to Sing Sing for their OJT and I heard from another person that new COs get assigned to various Maximum Security Facilities throughout the state for OJT. What do you think the odds would be of me getting assigned to Wallkill or Shawangunk (I live in the area and I want to try to keep it close to home.) Thanks again.

PJ06 is offline Junior Member PJ06 is on a distinguished road
    I took the test in Sep or Oct then the psych in feb, Dr in march and BI+PAT in May i think it was and got hired in Oct.

After the academy they send you to the closest max to home for 2 weeks OJT and then they send you to your permanent facility where you can put your name on a transfer list to whatever jail you want to go in NY

toneycinco is offline Junior Member toneycinco is on a distinguished road

nysdoc hiring process

hey Timmy did you take the test yesterday April 4th.? Do you know how long it takes to get the results?

hey Timmy did you take the test yesterday April 4th.? Do you know how long it takes to get the results?
    Yes, I did take it on the fourth. I heard that it takes about two and a half months to receive the results.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYDOME View Post
    Yes, I did take it on the fourth. I heard that it takes about two and a half months to receive the results.
    Did you find the test easy? How do you think you did? The memory was easy, but I felt that the sequence part was a bit confusing.

MzFutureCO is offline Junior Member MzFutureCO is on a distinguished road

CO Trainee

I took the exam day before yesterday 4/4/09 i thought the test was pretty easy just it was alot of reading .. but i think i did good im just anxious to see my grade.. as of right now its on my mind .. but after a few weeks i will forget about it..i wanted to know how long does it take but i read the post and i saw, i cant wait.!:D

trainee

Can't wait either.... Eager to hit the academy!

MzFutureCO is offline Junior Member MzFutureCO is on a distinguished road

hopefully i c u around:cool:

Did you find the test easy? How do you think you did? The memory was easy, but I felt that the sequence part was a bit confusing.
    I feel that I did well on it. There were a few questions on the memory portion that I did not know the answer to, but other than that I thought the exam was easy. I found this highlight video from one of the recent academy classes the NYSDOCS had on youtube. It's really interesting to watch.

Good luck with the rest of the processing.

nysdoc hiring process

my brother in-law took the exam last April and entered the academy in dec. of the same year. heard it impossible to fail the physical.

JagiMonster is offline Noobie JagiMonster is on a distinguished road
    I took the test in October 2007 and have not heard anything about entering the academy.

Any one tested in October 2007 and currently in or done with the Academy?

EDIT: Okay, well I just got off the phone with my Investigator and again, no news is good news.

He also shared that there have not been any new interviews since 9/2008 and no academy classes since 1/2009. He asked that I call back in 6 weeks.
    Last edited by JagiMonster; 05-01-09 at 01:51 PM.

Future_Dea is offline Junior Member Future_Dea is on a distinguished road
    Does anyone know when's the next exam I check every week so I can know when the exam is I'm only 19 soon to be 20 so by the time Im 21 I should be eligable!!

tonic67 is offline Junior Member tonic67 is on a distinguished road
    Did anyone get April 4 2009 results yet? My friend was CO on another state and a Sergeant - been waiting and waiting... anyone know anything?

16. This ad will disappear if you login

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast