Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PorscheTech78 is offline Junior Member PorscheTech78 is on a distinguished road

Criminal Justice for me?

Hello,

I have been looking into getting into a criminal justice field. I am 23 years old and have been in the automotive field now for over 6 years, specializing in Porsche for 3 years. The Automotive Industy has treated me well, but It is not my true calling I feel. I have an interest in Federal Law Enforcement such as the ATF or affliated agencies. I am looking for advice from members as to a career path to expect from this goal. It will be difficult starting at the bottom in another industry, but I am a hard worker and strive to reach my goals. What advice could you give me? Should I even consider criminal justice as a career in this recession? What time frame am I looking at to go Federal and what jobs are out there right now? Thanks in advance.

Chris

Citicop is offline The Original Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Most Federal law enforcement positions will require a 4 year degree.

Many applicants have the degree plus either local law enforcement experience, or military experience (some will have both).

If you already have the degree, then you can begin the application process now. If you don't, then go get it. If you feel you need some further experience to be competitive, then you can look at adding other things onto your resume as well. You have time still; the cutoff for federal hire is not until 37.

-Citicop.
    Sometimes there's Justice...
    and sometimes, there's Just Us
    1*

In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

I have been looking at a program at a local Career Institute. Do you feel an actual college would be a better solution or do you feel this is a good "foot in the door" approach? I would post the link but I cannot due to the fact I have not made 15 or more posts. If you search YTI Criminal Justice Program in google it will pop up.

Citicop is offline The Original Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute Citicop has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    When choosing a place to go to school, a regionally accredited school is the way to go. There are good night/evening/weekend programs, and some good accredited online programs as well.
    1*

Thanks Citicop. I am just worried that there are limited career openings right now in CJ. The Automotive Industry is just as bad. Nobody is hiring.....

Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Well, police departments don't care what degree you get.

So study something that will be useful outside of Law Enforcement, and you'll have a plan "B" (or would that be plan "C"?) in case you don't like it or it otherwise does not work out.
    1*

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    In my area , the YTI program is worth LITTLE. It is not accredited, does not offer a degree ( just a certificate) and I have personally dealt with some of the students and was not impressed.

If you want to get a degree make sure it is a degree ( NOT a certificate ) and that the school is regionally accredited.
    Creeper Cop

Thank You Citicop and mcsap for the help. If the YTI program is a waste of time which school in PA would you recommend? Is there any way I can volunteer and start gaining experience that way? You guys are constantly training and going through practice situations correct? I imagine a large amount of help is needed for setup and execution of a live senerio.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    A college that is accredited. Like HACC , York College , Penn State.

Ask the YTI people if the program issues a degree and if they are accredited. They will say certificate and that they are accredited by some board for Tech Schools but that means zero to a prospective PD. If you wanted to learn to weld or cook , a place like YTI is fine.

HACC is the only college in the area that also runs the actual Police Academy ( main campus ) so their credits are certainly well respected and probably cheaper than YC or PS.
    Creeper Cop

mcsap. Thank you very much for the information it is very much appreciated. I will be checking into that asap. Do you feel that coming from HACC would be respected in the business as compared to PS or another main college as opposed to a community college?

Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    HACC has a GREAT reputation. Their main campus is in Harrisburg and they have satellite campuses in York, Lancaster , Lebanon, and Gettysburg. Their main campus looks like a 4 yr college.

That and a lot of people will do their first two years there and then finish their degree at York College, Penn State etc. YTI is not accredited by the Middle States Accredtation like both York College and Penn State. They have their own " tech school" accreditation.

YTI wanted to start their own Act 120 academy but didn't qualify.

Stick with at least HACC and you will be fine. But don't lock yourself into a CJ degree. They really aren't that important. PD's can USE someone who is either bi-lingual ( Spanish) or has a degree in computer science/forensics.
    Creeper Cop

If you were me and have a desire to eventually try and work up to Federal Level or possibly PSP SERT or equivilant how would you go about it? Obviously first get into a College such as HACC, but after enrolled how can I become involved to work towards that goal?

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    all depends where you want to work. If you are talking ATF....you have to first get hired....pass the adacemy and then do several yeasr as a field agent...and be a decent one at that. ATF has not hired in some and when they do, it has been small numbers.

You need to figure out exactly what you want to do every day as a cop. There is a difference between being a local cop....a state tropper...and federal agent.
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    If only someone took the time to write a detailed thread on CJ degrees and becoming a federal agent...

... oh wait, someone did!

Should one major in Criminal Justice to be a LEO?

So You Want to be a Federal Agent?

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

Kimble I actually did read your Federal Agent one which I thought was excellent and answered some of my questions. I will read the other after I post this question. From what you have been through in your careers and with all the changes and education updates how would that have changed your career/ education steps?

16. This ad will disappear if you login