Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    darcyjones is offline Junior Member darcyjones is on a distinguished road

16-year old drivers and passengers (california)

My daughter is 16, has had her license for 4 months and tells me that she can have a passenger (under 18) in her car with her if she has a note from their parents. I told her I don't care if that's the case, our rule is that she can't, but I'm curious if this is true? Would love to have back-up on our rule - Thanks

Samuel is offline Fascist Samuel has disabled reputation
    Verified LEO
    IMO, you should know the CA rules/regulations (aka CA vehicle code) better than your kid(s) and prior to allowing them to drive.

Search CA DMV via Google and then go to Driver License, New Driver, Provisional driver license restrictions...

darcyjones is offline Junior Member darcyjones is on a distinguished road
    I do know all the restrictions for kids w/provisional drivers' licenses. She actually has more restrictions than what the state dictates. Maybe I didn't word my question right. I will ask a local policemen instead - they'll get it.

Rlong1985 is offline Behind the green door. Rlong1985 has a reputation beyond repute Rlong1985 has a reputation beyond repute Rlong1985 has a reputation beyond repute Rlong1985 has a reputation beyond repute Rlong1985 has a reputation beyond repute Rlong1985 has a reputation beyond repute Rlong1985 has a reputation beyond repute Rlong1985 has a reputation beyond repute Rlong1985 has a reputation beyond repute Rlong1985 has a reputation beyond repute Rlong1985 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    I doubt you will ever be back but Samuel I believe understood your question; he is refering to your daughters ability to interpert the law incorrectly and your ability to use google to prove her wrong. Its not difficult and it took me about five minutes to track down the DMV page for both the exceptions to the rules, and the general restrictions.

DMV Webpage states:

After you pass your driving test, you will be issued a provisional driver license. With your provisional driver license, you must be accompanied and supervised by a licensed parent, guardian or other licensed driver 25 years of age or older, or by a licensed or certified driving instructor when you:

Transport passengers under 20 years of age at any time, for the first twelve months.
    Drive between 11 pm and 5 am for the first twelve months.

Restrictions

Exceptions to the rule;

Provisional driver license restrictions during the first year

Exceptions to Restrictions

When reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive, the law grants the following exceptions for provisional license holders to drive between 11 pm and 5 am or to transport an immediate family member unaccompanied and unsupervised.

The law allows the following exceptions when reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive. A signed note must be kept in your possession for any of these exceptions explaining the necessity and the date when the driving necessity will end (except emancipated minors).

Medical necessity when reasonable transportation alternatives are inadequate. The note must be signed by your physician, and contain the diagnosis and probable date of recovery.

Schooling or school-authorized activity. The note must be signed by your school principal, dean, or his/her designee.

Employment necessity and the need to operate a vehicle as part of your employment. The note must be signed by your employer verifying employment.

Your necessity or the necessity of an immediate family member. The note must be signed by your parent or legal guardian. - Please note IMMMEDIATE and necessity; buddies or your second cousin twice removed do not apply. If you live three blocks down the street and can walk after a party, midnight and have a cell phone its not a necessity.

If you are an emancipated minor, no documentation is needed. However, you must have already declared yourself emancipated and provided DMV with Proof of Financial Responsibility (SR 1P) in lieu of your guarantors’ signatures.

Exceptions
    Last edited by Rlong1985; 06-03-10 at 10:20 PM.

Joeyd6 is online now Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by darcyjones View Post
    I do know all the restrictions for kids w/provisional drivers' licenses. She actually has more restrictions than what the state dictates. Maybe I didn't word my question right. I will ask a local policemen instead - they'll get it.
    Darcy,

Easy on the attitude. Everyone here gets it. Your kid is telling you the law allows here do "A." You say you don't care what A is, you have tighter restrictions. Then you ask everyone here if you kid is correct regarding "A."

Somebody brings up the point that as a parent, you should have all the books about driving rules and know them better than your kid and you say "we don't get it?" Maybe you don't get it. If you know the rules, then you know the answer and don't have to ask anyone. But tone down the attitude a little.
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

6. This ad will disappear if you login