Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    lty001 is offline Junior Member lty001 is on a distinguished road

Becoming a police officer in Texas with Obstruction of a highway

I got arrested for DWI in 2007 in college and got deferred ajudification for it and got obstruction of a highway as my final conviction. I recieved my degree in criminal justice and have worked in the private investigatiions for certaiin retailers for about 3 years now. I have had a clean record since I was kid and I know what I did is unexcusable. I have a great credit and good track record with all my recent employers, and I was also able to get my private investigations license. Is there any chance or possiibility that a I can become TCLEOSE ceritified in the state of Texas with a obstruction of a highway charge on my record?
    Last edited by lty001; 04-29-11 at 02:16 PM.

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Why not check the TCLEOSE website and see if they have the answer? Or call them if you can't find it there?
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Safety Steve is offline Respect All, Fear None Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute Safety Steve has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by lty001 View Post
    I got arrested for DWI in 2007 in college and got deferred ajudification for it and got obstruction of a highway as my final conviction. I recieved my degree in criminal justice and have worked in the private investigatiions for certaiin retailers for about 3 years now. I have had a clean record since I was kid and I know what I did is unexcusable. I have a great credit and good track record with all my recent employers, and I was also able to get my private investigations license. Is there any chance or possiibility that a I can become TCLEOSE ceritified in the state of Texas with a obstruction of a highway charge on my record?
    If your saying you got deferred adjudication probation for a DWI, I'm calling BS on it. You cannot get deferred probation in Texas for a DWI. For a misdemeanor or felony! It is very possible that you were arrested for DWI and they "changed" the charge to Obstructing Highway allowing you to be placed on deferred adjudication probation.

Be Safe.
    "I'M WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE"

marinepilot is offline Slippin' the surly bonds marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Moving this to the Background Checks/Hiring Process section as it is most definitely NOT a question about writing a book or screenplay.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

Sgt. Ervin Romans (OPD) - EOW March 21, 2009

More than likely thats what happened. Thanks for the correction.

So I have asked many police officers that I work with and they said it might be on my driving record. I wonder if that effects my chances even more.

TEXASCOP is offline Crime Fighter TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute TEXASCOP has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Obstruction of a Highway is a class B misdemeanor (some prosecutors plead DWI's down to Obstruction of a Highway). Even if completed your deferred adjudication without any hiccups you will still show an arrest in what ever county it was you were arrested in for the original charge of DWI. What ever agency you apply for will have some questions regarding your arrest. The TCLEOSE regulations for a Peace Officer licensing are below. It also depends on weather your criminal history shows a conviction for Obstruction of a Highway.

(A) has not ever been convicted of an offense above the grade of a Class B misdemeanor or a Class B misdemeanor within the last ten years; but

(B) the commission may approve the application of a person who was convicted for a Class B misdemeanor at least five (5) years prior to application if an agency administrator sufficiently demonstrates in writing with supporting documentation that mitigating circumstances exist with the case and with the individual applying for licensure, and that the public interest would be served by reducing the waiting period;

8. This ad will disappear if you login