Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    triggerman is offline Junior Member triggerman is on a distinguished road

Can police check medical records?

Can a police department check psychical and mental health records as a condition of employement? Do they usually do this?

Drew27k9 is offline Veteran Member Drew27k9 has a reputation beyond repute Drew27k9 has a reputation beyond repute Drew27k9 has a reputation beyond repute Drew27k9 has a reputation beyond repute Drew27k9 has a reputation beyond repute Drew27k9 has a reputation beyond repute Drew27k9 has a reputation beyond repute Drew27k9 has a reputation beyond repute Drew27k9 has a reputation beyond repute Drew27k9 has a reputation beyond repute Drew27k9 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L3
    Verified LEO
    Yes they can and yes they will check. You are required to sign a form authorizing them to check your medical history when applying for the job.

Roger Dat is offline Doing my part Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    +1 they can and will. If you dont disclose everything WE WILL FIND IT.
    “Take you hands off the car, and I’ll make your birth certificate a worthless document." UNKNOWN

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    What are you trying to conceal on your application?

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    YES because you will sign off on all of your records etc in order to get hired.

If you refuse to sign off or try to hide something...your app will be shredded.
    Creeper Cop

Piggy is offline Trained Assassin Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute Piggy has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    When you sign a release you are giving you hiring agency a free ticket to do whatever they want to dig up the dirt.
    One Big Ass Mistake America

dinarguy is offline US Marshals-here I come!! dinarguy has a reputation beyond repute dinarguy has a reputation beyond repute dinarguy has a reputation beyond repute dinarguy has a reputation beyond repute dinarguy has a reputation beyond repute dinarguy has a reputation beyond repute dinarguy has a reputation beyond repute dinarguy has a reputation beyond repute dinarguy has a reputation beyond repute dinarguy has a reputation beyond repute dinarguy has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by ROS View Post
    What are you trying to conceal on your application?
    LOL I love how you think :D

They cannot check unless you sign that wavier that was previously mentioned. Then, they can check. If you dont sign the wavier, then you can pretty much just rip up your application yourself.

Edit: Or release, whatever the document is called. Thanks piggy

H.R. Cufnstuf is offline Veteran Member H.R. Cufnstuf has a reputation beyond repute H.R. Cufnstuf has a reputation beyond repute H.R. Cufnstuf has a reputation beyond repute H.R. Cufnstuf has a reputation beyond repute H.R. Cufnstuf has a reputation beyond repute H.R. Cufnstuf has a reputation beyond repute H.R. Cufnstuf has a reputation beyond repute H.R. Cufnstuf has a reputation beyond repute H.R. Cufnstuf has a reputation beyond repute H.R. Cufnstuf has a reputation beyond repute H.R. Cufnstuf has a reputation beyond repute
    I recall that with my DoD clearance they had a waiver that went along with the SF-86 that allowed access to all records except for medical and financial records which required a separate release specifying exactally what they were looking for and had to be very specific.

Not sure if local agencies work like this though since i've always been military.

Roger Dat is offline Doing my part Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute Roger Dat has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    One form for my municipality gave them card blanche to look at pretty much anything. If they couldnt get it it was m responsibilty to get it for them.
    “Take you hands off the car, and I’ll make your birth certificate a worthless document." UNKNOWN

jenek84 is offline Banned jenek84 is on a distinguished road
    Yes the police will look at the record and they will find it.

I don't know how, I mean, there is no "blanket" database of medical or mental health records that you can acces from just anywhere. You need to go to the doctor or hospital to get the actual records, and if you do not disclose that you have such a record nor provide the location of it, then I don't see how they can do it.

But reportedly, they can somehow. So just be honest about everything. If it is your mental health you are worried about, just be aware that a history of psychological problems is not automatically disqualifying. It depends on what you were seeing the mental health professional for and for how long, and how long ago.

I saw a psychiatrist from 13 to 17 for personal issues like my parent's divorce and issues of acceptance at school at the time. I asked about it to the department that I am applying for and they said that no, that would not be a DQ. Had I been seeing the psychiatrist for schizophrenia or severe depression, then that would be a DQ.

If it is a medical issue, then most likely, unless severe, it wouldn't DQ you (not with the department I'm applying for anyway).

That's if that is the issue you're having. If not, then sorry for putting my 2-cents in. Keep in mind I'm not a cop right now, don't take my advice seriously if you prefer not to, but I'm just telling you how it would be applying to the department that I am applying for. Each one is different.

11. This ad will disappear if you login