Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    Travis#847 is offline Junior Member Travis#847 is on a distinguished road

Florida Highway Patrol's Hiring Process quests.....

Hello all, my first post here to the site. I month ago I applied on the FHP be a troopers web site in interest in possibly having a shot @ becomming a FHP recruit, Well A few weeks later I got a letter in the mail saying I met the minimum requirments and now I have to Take The CJBAT and the PAT test, I am well aware what these test are. My question is to mainly those who went thru the same steps that I did. The letter I recieved said that they will send me date time and info, as far as it looks I guess That wont be for any May Dates, You guys think the June dates are in the works? If not how long after the first accep letter would I expect for the invite for these tests?

Well In the step quide, If you do all your test very well I guess your on the possible "waiting list" for the FHP Academy... What can I do to go extra beyond to ensure to be accepted to the academy? I got the Idea basically If you do all your test great, It still doesnt mean youd be accepted to the acedemy rite?

Well Wish me luck! All Help is appreciated!

Travis

marinepilot is offline Slippin' the surly bonds marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Travis,

First of all, a hearty welcome to RP! Thanks for joining our little web family! Hopefully you'll stay a while and decide to properly introduce yourself in the Rap Sheets section.

As for the FHP academy, I've applied once before and received the letter you've gotten as well. That letter is basically a form letter stating that you've met the bare minimum requirements and they're going to be sending you another package of paper to fill out and try to get you tested on the aforementioned exams. Since you state you know what those are, I won't go into it here.

The next correspondence you get from FHP will be a large packet that you need to completely fill out and bring with you to your test date. In that packet will be a letter telling you which date you're to show up and where to show up, and even what to wear and how much sleep to get the night before and what to / not to eat and drink before the tests! (They're nothing if not thorough!)

The packet, however, is also VERY thorough! I didn't make my date for the testing in Havana because they wanted actual official transcripts to be mailed to them by the test date from all my colleges (4 so far!) and it would have cost me about $100 to have them all express mailed to meet me there. The packet is about 20 to 25 pages of information, and it's got to be absolutely complete before you show up, notarized and everything, otherwise they'll just tell you to go home. And believe me, they DIG into your background on this thing. The big thing I remember is that they even go so far as to ask if you have any presence on the World Wide Web!

They wanted me to get all that stuff done in like 3 weeks, 'cause from the time I received the packet to the test date was just that amount of time. I ended up just not even filling it out and letting the test date go, so my app has been round-filed. As for answering which dates they'll give you, there's no telling. They may have already filled June dates, so maybe July will be in the works for you. Either way, they probably won't give you a whole lot of time to fill the supplemental out before bringing it to Havana for your test date.

As for the rest of your questions, I don't know of anything you can do to "ensure" you get selected for the academy. From what I understand, if you do well on the tests that just means that they are going to go ahead, take the time, and start digging into your background. That's what takes the longest in the process, the background check. Even if you get 100% on the tests and your background is not acceptable, then you're not going.

But if you do good enough on the tests, your background is good, and nothing else has raised a red flag on you, then your package goes to the FHP Director and he/she makes the final decision on whether or not you'll be attending the academy.

So, good luck to you in the process! Hopefully all well go well and you'll be headed to a new career pretty soon!

Who knows, maybe I'll see you there around November as I've put in another app with them and this time I'll be filling the whole thing out.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

Sgt. Ervin Romans (OPD) - EOW March 21, 2009

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I applied in January of 1997. I was hired and in the class in summer of 1997. They condensed things to make my travel easier from NY.

I graduated and left after 7 months. Wasn't for me at all. I went right into the NYPD. Do your research and make sure it is the right agency for you!
    Last edited by Joeyd6; 05-20-08 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

Wow thanks Marine Pilot! Very imformative! Well I guess I will be waiting by the mailbox for that stack of paper lol! Well As for background checks I am sure i'd be ok, never been in trouble as I know of lol.. Im sure I will be asked to take the test in Orlando sometime as this is the closest "city" I reside in,

Well I definitly hope this works out for me! I'll keep you all up to date

Travis

DeltaV is offline Veteran Member DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Like any other agency, you have to do well on the tests and also have a clean background. It doesn't matter whether or not you are at the top of every test, if you have background issues then you won't get selected at all.

Good luck to you. FHP is a skinking ship and troopers are leaving in droves. They haven't had a raise in years, have no step pay system, and barely make enough to live on. With the rising cost of living down here, North Florida is about the only place you'll make a comfortable living as a trooper.

When they go into Background what do they actually look for? As far as I know nothing against me or family members

DeltaV is offline Veteran Member DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    The posts marked as stickies on this forum go into detail on what is looked at during a background investigation.

8. This ad will disappear if you login