Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread

NYPD....No oral interview?

I applied to take the NYPD test in February, for the second time. The first time I applied the test was cancelled, possibly due to the hiring freeze...

Anyway, in the hiring process, no oral or panel interview is listed. I assumed all PD's had oral boards, if only to "check you out" to make sure you're not a wierdo or something, and also to see how you interact with people under pressure. Am I wrong, or has anyone noticed the NYPD has no oral interview.

I think being a NY City street cop would be about the coolest thing to do, and I am looking forward to the chance to show them what I got.

bucknutz30 is offline Senior Member bucknutz30 is on a distinguished road

Psych. Interview...

Thanks for the link.It seems like this would be a psychological interview with a psychiatrist, not a panel interview with 3 people asking "what-if" questions, like most other PD's. I'm not sure what "initial character" assessment means....maybe that's an interview....I'll find out when I go through it.

bucknutz30 is offline Senior Member bucknutz30 is on a distinguished road
    I think the last one (pre-hire interview) would be the panel interview. That's usually one of the last steps in most PD's, isn't it?

housingcop is offline Junior Member housingcop
    siberian....
    yes, there is a one on one oral interview with a dr. here's the thing... it could be the easiest, quickest thing you ever do, or they could grill you about every little thing and then make you feel like ****. it all depends on how that dr. feels that particular day. you might get a good one. you might get a ****.
    they will ask you questions based on your written psych that you will take at the police acdemy in the auditorium. this will take all day. it will start at 6 am and you will get out around 1 or 2 pm. the test has about 1000 questions, most of which are yes/no and true/false questions. be honest on this test, don't read into the questions, and take your time. it is a suck day but you will have to go through it. that day you will be scheduled for the oral interview which will take place at lefrak city in queens. you will go about a week later and speak with the doc.
    when you get there, relax. first of all... the only things they know about you are what you have told them (with the exceptions of tickets or arrests if you have any). there is no poly. you never smoked weed! they will ask you during your medical too... from the get go. you only drink very rarely... never to the point where you are drunk. they only know what you tell them. many people get hung up because they say too much. you may think a few beers a week is nothing, and in fact, it's no biggie. don't tell them you drink a few a week. remember, you never drink until you're drunk. they will tell you that they can find out everything about you. bull. during the medical they will ask about any hospitalizations/surgerys, etc. if you have a scar from a surgery, tell them. if you had a surgery with no visible scar then don't say ****...it doesn't matter.
    also, everything can be appealed. if you fail this medical, the psych... anything can be appealed. bottom line, if you are in shape enough, not a total looney, and don't tell them anything they can hang you with (that has nothing to do with how you will do your job) then you are good to go and will realize your NYPD dream.

Thanks, Housingcop!

Thank you for keepin' it real! I appreciate your honest advice on the testing process. I feel the same way about answering questions during the process..........if they can't prove it, it didn't happen. Marijuana,.....never even seen any!;) And the scar on my wrist from when I punched out a window while I was dead drunk on Bacardi 151----I cut my self washing dishes!! I love it!!! Most people I talk to about the background and psych portions are like " You have to tell them everything, I stole some gum when I was 3 and I told them, I pissed on a tree when I was 17,blah blah blah...." I agree with telling them about the few summary offenses I have(They will find them anyway, no big deal),but some people are totally uptight.....they make it sound like you aren't fit to be a cop or you are a bad person if you don't spill your guts to the Background Investigator. I think I would make an excellent police officer, due to my intelligence and ability to deal with people, but I'm not about to tell the background investigator or psych. about all the crazy **** I did in college and didn't get arrested for, or the time I "hung out" with a 16 year old chick when I was 20(she was VERY hot). As far as my college days are concerned,it's all a blur, I don't remember, and it's time to move on. What I did in the past has no effect on how I will do my job. More people need to recognize this and lighten up a little.
    SiberianExpress

BTW- housingcop, are you with the housing police? I am taking the civil service exam for the NJ housing police, and I just wanted to know if it was a cool job. Thanks
    Last edited by siberianexpress; 12-03-03 at 02:04 AM.

housingcop is offline Junior Member housingcop
    check your real police forum inbox!
    also, if you are in the NYC area... there are tons of tests for other agencies you can take. get ahold of a newspaper called "the chief." this paper has announcements for all kinds of LE jobs in the NYC area, and some other departments looking to recruit from NYC also advertise their testing.

housingcop

I replied to your message........thanks for the info! I will get a copy of the chief and look through it.

TALLON is offline CEO: Red Sox Nation TALLON has a reputation beyond repute TALLON has a reputation beyond repute TALLON has a reputation beyond repute TALLON has a reputation beyond repute TALLON has a reputation beyond repute TALLON has a reputation beyond repute TALLON has a reputation beyond repute TALLON has a reputation beyond repute TALLON has a reputation beyond repute TALLON has a reputation beyond repute TALLON has a reputation beyond repute
    I am also in a process in Connecticut that just waived the Oral Board phase of the selection process. In lieu of this, I have a face to face with the Chief.

Every department is different...that's all I can summize.
    "Back in the thirties we were told we must collectivize the nation because the people were so poor. Now we are told we must collectivize the nation because the people are so rich."
    William F. Buckley, Jr.

10. This ad will disappear if you login