Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Keenman is offline Junior Member Keenman is on a distinguished road

Taking medicine prescribed to someone else

I just passed the written and physical exam for one of the departments I'm hoping to get on. I got a quick question. On the personal history sheets it said have you ever taken medicine not prescribed to you. I thought hard and remember one time when I was 17 working at a bank I had a horrible migraine and one the middle aged ladies I worked with went and grabbed some migraine medicine she had. I think she was prescribed it but don't really remember. Anyways I popped it in my mouth and went on about my business. I wrote this down because I was trying to make sure to be as honest as completely possible. Is this going to be a huge problem, I had never really thought much about it until having it asked to me. Here a lil of my background 22yrs old, graduate with my BS in Criminal Justice from a university. One speeding ticket, smoked marijuana twice in high school (like an idiot), have done many volunteer things with my parents police dept. (both father and stepmother are detectives). Is this migraine medicine I took in high school gonna be a problem. It may sound stupid to ask but if not Ill just sit and worry about it for months throughout the process.

AmarulaCream is offline מגן ולא יראה AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute
    Good for you for being honest, seriously.

I highly doubt it will hurt you if you took the medicine for what it was intended, the proper amount and in the manner it was intended to be ingested (granted it was still technically and illegal act). Also, did the lady give you the medicine or did you "borrow it" without her permission?

It might also matter if it was a Scheduled pain killer or just a "prescription-only" drug.
    There is a huge difference between snorting lines of Lotronex vs. lines of Percocet ;)
    Last edited by AmarulaCream; 02-12-08 at 11:16 PM.
    I am on a lot of lists...
    There is no excuse for stupidity- except genetics.

To be honest it was like 5yrs ago and the only reason I remember it was because a lady later said "you probally shouldn't use someone else medicine cause I think its illegal" (which of course it is)" but at the time I didn't think anything of it.

mobrien316 is online now Philosopher/Marksman mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Taking someone else's prescription medication is not illegal, at least not in Connecticut. If you were to possess it and it was a narcotic it would be illegal, but if you were handed a pill by the person for whom the drug was prescribed and you took the pill immediately, you would not be violating any law of which I am aware.

However, it is still something that falls under the category of "drug use" within the realm of a law enforcement application. It should be disclosed, but if it was a one-time event I don't think it will cause a problem.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Fiat justitia, ruat coelum.

Well awesome then. I know its one of those dumb questions that you guys get on a daily basis but I figured I would ask rather than worry about it during the whole background process. I appreciate it.

BurnzyJKD is offline Veteran Member BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute

its not illegal to take someone elses prescription medicine

Quote Originally Posted by Keenman View Post
    To be honest it was like 5yrs ago and the only reason I remember it was because a lady later said "you probally shouldn't use someone else medicine cause I think its illegal" (which of course it is)" but at the time I didn't think anything of it.
    BUT JUST DUMB!!;)
    Conlige Suspectos Semper Habitos- round up the usual suspects

Darin is offline Jacked up on Mt. Deeeewww Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L3
    Verified LEO
    You should be fine. As long as you're honest about everything.
    Sixburgh
    6 time Super Bowl Champions

They were who we thought they were.

Playoffs?? Playoffs!!??? Don't talk about PLAYOFFS!!!??

Valor55 is offline Stercus accidit Valor55 has disabled reputation
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I wouldn't worry about that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

AmarulaCream is offline מגן ולא יראה AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute AmarulaCream has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    Taking someone else's prescription medication is not illegal, at least not in Connecticut. If you were to possess it and it was a narcotic it would be illegal, but if you were handed a pill by the person for whom the drug was prescribed and you took the pill immediately, you would not be violating any law of which I am aware.

However, it is still something that falls under the category of "drug use" within the realm of a law enforcement application. It should be disclosed, but if it was a one-time event I don't think it will cause a problem.
    So you are saying that my mother or father could hand-feed me Xanax Vicoden and other things like that, and and the Greenwich Police would not come knocking down my door? I find that hard to believe...

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by AmarulaCream View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316

So you are saying that my mother or father could hand-feed me Xanax Vicoden and other things like that, and and the Greenwich Police would not come knocking down my door? I find that hard to believe...
    Don't be a smartass. Vicodin IS a narcotic. Xanax is an anti-depressant. Both are controlled substances (Vicodin being a Schedule III and Xanax being a Schedule IV). A little different from being a migraine pill.
    Last edited by Kimble; 02-16-08 at 06:57 AM.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

BurnzyJKD is offline Veteran Member BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute BurnzyJKD has a reputation beyond repute

now you are being dumb

hey man, how dumb can you be to allow yourself to be "hand fed" Xanax, Vicodin and other heavy duty narcotics..we arent talking about penicillin here are we?? And if your Mom and Dad are feeding you this stuff than you have more problems than can be discussed on this thread :D

Quote Originally Posted by BurnzyJKD View Post
    hey man, how dumb can you be to allow yourself to be "hand fed" Xanax, Vicodin and other heavy duty narcotics..we arent talking about penicillin here are we?? And if your Mom and Dad are feeding you this stuff than you have more problems than can be discussed on this thread :D
    It was an hypothetical scenario:p... and my original question for the top-starter was "what kind of medication was it" He never answered. Most lay-people do not even know what drug scheduling is or the difference between a controlled substance and a "prescription only" since both are technically "controlled". This is a very confusing subject if you are not a pharmacist or LEO...

doh!

It was an hypothetical scenario:p... and my original question for the top-starter was "what kind of medication was it" He never answered. Most lay-people do not even know what drug scheduling is or the difference between a controlled substance and a "prescription only" since both are technically "controlled". This is a very confusing subject if you are not a pharmacist or LEO...
    I guess I should have been able to pick up on that:rolleyes:

I did answer I said I don't know. I had a headache (very bad migraine) she said hold on, went to her desk brought back a pill, said this is what I take for my migraines. I popped it in my mouth went on about my business. Obviously now a days I would never think of taking anything without knowing what it is. It could of been excedrin for all I know, but thats what happened...I was 17 at the time and she was like 38 or something, kind of a motherly type figure to me at the time. I knew she wouldn't give me anything that was going to hurt me..so I trusted her, and if I can remember my headache was more bearable. Wouldn't do it again, but thats what happened. They only thing Im regretting is not the fact that I told the truth, but the fact that I wrote that I took a medicine she was PRESCRIBED since I don't really know if it was prescribed or if it was just so over the counter headache medicine, never saw the bottle.
    Last edited by Keenman; 02-13-08 at 04:53 PM.
    MNPD:
    Application turned in (11/9/07)
    Written & Physical...5/5 on physical, 3/5 on written (1/26/08)*PASSED
    Background
    Interview
    Conditional Offer
    Medical, Drug Test, CVSA, PsyQ Test
    Panel Review

dont worry

Quote Originally Posted by Keenman View Post
    I did answer I said I don't know. I had a headache (very bad migraine) she said hold on, went to her desk brought back a pill, said this is what I take for my migraines. I popped it in my mouth went on about my business. Obviously now a days I would never think of taking anything without knowing what it is. It could of been excedrin for all I know, but thats what happened...I was 17 at the time and she was like 38 or something, kind of a motherly type figure to me at the time. I knew she wouldn't give me anything that was going to hurt me..so I trusted her, and if I can remember my headache was more bearable. Wouldn't do it again, but thats what happened. They only thing Im regretting is not the fact that I told the truth, but the fact that I wrote that I took a medicine she was PRESCRIBED since I don't really know if it was prescribed or if it was just so over the counter headache medicine, never saw the bottle.
    you will be fine..no mountains coming out of molehills here :cool:

16. This ad will disappear if you login