Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    masreyno is offline Junior Member masreyno is on a distinguished road

SF-86 and BI Process vs SF-85P

In my current position in the Fed gov, I had to complete a SF-85P which is for public trust positions, but no specific clearance was ever granted as it was just used in the BI to determine suitability for this public trust position. (I was found suitable, btw!). I was looking over an SF-86 form which is for a national security position and noticed that the two forms area almost exactly the same. By the same I mean all the requested information is almost standard between the SF-85P and the SF-86.

My question is, given the documents are almost 99% alike, how much more stringent will the BI be to obtain a top secret clearance vs. the BI done three years ago to determine if I am suitable for a public trust position? Are the forms just titled different for organizational purposes, but the BIís themselves actually performed the same? In my opinion, and from what I read on the forums, it seems the BI I went through three years ago seems to be in line with what others have gone through to get a secret or top secret clearance for a LE position.

I just wasnít sure if anyone had any thoughts on if the process should be the same or am I in for something totally different between the two BIís?

Thanks for any info. Much appreciated.

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Read this: http://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/c10978.htm

This should give you some idea of what to expect for a TS BI.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

masreyno is offline Junior Member masreyno is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the link. The process seems to be the same all the way around, it's just the different forms were used. However, with a TS BI they might go back further in time to gather info.

Do Investigators utilize previous documents from a previous BI for comparisons, etc or is everything usually done fresh?

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by masreyno
    Do Investigators utilize previous documents from a previous BI for comparisons, etc or is everything usually done fresh?
    Yes, to both questions. You will fill out fresh documents, but they will review and compare your paperwork from a previous BI with those of your current BI.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

5. This ad will disappear if you login