Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    whozyodaddy is offline Junior Member whozyodaddy is on a distinguished road

LASD Polygraph dilemma...

I am in the process with the LASD and would really like to hire on with them. I am currently in the background invest. stage and recently took my 2nd polygraph. Yes...2nd. The problem that I face is that my breathing patterns have been a complete mess on both tests. After my last test I was told that my results would be sent to HQ for evaluation and I would be notified of the findings through my background investigator. What does this all mean? I was completely honest throughout both tests and I don't get the impression that the examiners believe that I was lying, but that they were confused by my poor breathing response. Any ideas, help? All input is really appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by whozyodaddy; 09-16-05 at 07:00 PM.

acreature is offline Do work Son! acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by whozyodaddy
    After my last test I was told that my results would be sent to HQ for evaluation and I would be notified of the findings through my background investigator.....................What does this all mean?

It means this
    After my last test I was told that my results would be sent to HQ for evaluation and I would be notified of the findings through my background investigator.
    Not a whole lot you can do. This is their hiring practice, and is what you must hurdle, so to speak, to become a part of their Agency.

JohnDeere is offline Junior Member JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute
    Your breathing problems #1 throws off the readings from the machine and #2 it suggests to the Polygraphist that you may be attempting to use counter measures. They are not necessarily saying you are trying to cheat but they need to go through your results with a fine tooth comb, so they say. The back ground investigation will most likely be the determining factor.

HeliPilot is offline 8/17/06 HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I just finished my poly a few weeks ago. I had to retest because of breathing problems on my first test due to nerves. If they let you retest it MAY mean they think you are telling the truth but your nerves are making some part of the test difficult for you. If they thought you were lying you would probably not have a second chance. The second time I took the test I did exactly what the Polygrapher told me to do, "just answer the questions and don't think about your breathing". My second test came out with no problems.

I talked to the polygrapher for quite a while after taking the test. He told me that the information out there about "beating" a polygraph is what kills most candidates. The information is great for a suspect who wants to say "see I took the polygraph test" even(especially) if the results are unreadable. For a candidate for the police it is important to make sure the results are readable, and you cannot do that by the advice given out on the web. The best advice I got was from my second polygrapher: make sure you are relaxed, that you have answered all the questions completely and honestly, and to think only about the questions as they are asked.

Thanks for the info...my background isn't stellar, but hopefully I have a shot (My life experience is just "well-rounded"!). Has anyone else experienced this polygraph situation and had a positive outcome? My thinking is that, if they were convinced that I was lying or using countermeasures they would have dropped me immediately, right? Thanks for the help and keep the opinions coming!

(oops...dilemma, I caught it)
    Last edited by whozyodaddy; 09-16-05 at 07:08 PM. Reason: spelling

acreature is offline Do work Son! acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Has anyone else experienced this polygraph situation and had a positive outcome?
    Me! I wasn't the most ripe apple in the stack, but I was honest and was offered employment.

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere
    Your breathing problems #1 throws off the readings from the machine and #2 it suggests to the Polygraphist that you may be attempting to use counter measures. They are not necessarily saying you are trying to cheat but they need to go through your results with a fine tooth comb, so they say. The back ground investigation will most likely be the determining factor.

Its not a machine, its an instrument. And unless you are an operator you have NO idea what it suggests or what they are saying.

Maybe you should hold off on the advice for things about which you know. :rolleyes:
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" --Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Terminator is offline Banned Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute Terminator has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    ...my background isn't stellar, but hopefully I have a shot...

Hmmm, what exactly does that mean?

JohnDeere is offline Junior Member JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute JohnDeere has a reputation beyond repute
    Hey TX take it easy. The info that I posted came straight from the Polygraphist and my BI. I should have specified that.

HeliPilot is offline 8/17/06 HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute HeliPilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

Background not stellar

Thanks for the info...my background isn't stellar, but hopefully I have a shot (My life experience is just "well-rounded"!). Has anyone else experienced this polygraph situation and had a positive outcome? My thinking is that, if they were convinced that I was lying or using countermeasures they would have dropped me immediately, right? Thanks for the help and keep the opinions coming!

(oops...dilemma, I caught it)
    Well my background was pretty clean, but I have a friend whose background is even cleaner than mine who nearly did not get hired because they were afraid he lived in a too idealistic world and had no real world experience. The best advise anyone can really give you is to not worry about it at this point. There is little to nothing you can do to influence the outcome once you get to this point so it is not worth getting worked up about it.

phantasm is offline Veteran Member phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute phantasm has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I told the truth on one, and failed. Heard through the grapevine that someone else took the one with the same dept, lied, and passed. It's a bunch of garbage as far as I'm concerned. It's not a "lie detector" test. It's a body vital change machine. You take a deep breath, you're lieing, you start sweating a little, you're lieing, etc.

But as someone else said, whatever the policy is, the policy is.

txinvestigator1 is offline what me, worry? txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute txinvestigator1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm
    You take a deep breath, you're lieing, you start sweating a little, you're lieing, etc.
    With all due respect, that is not accurate AT ALL. Sorry you got screwed though.

Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere
    Hey TX take it easy. The info that I posted came straight from the Polygraphist and my BI. I should have specified that.
    So I reiterate, you have NO IDEA what they were telling HIM.

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by txinvestigator1
    Its not a machine, its an instrument. And unless you are an operator you have NO idea what it suggests or what they are saying.

Maybe you should hold off on the advice for things about which you know. :rolleyes:
    The polygraph machine is fairly close to junk science and I know what I'm talking about.

I've seen truthful people fail and sociopaths pass while lying through their teeth.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Wow...I didn't mean to stir the pot on the polygraph debate! I understand that the poly is not exact and I am left to the mercy of interpretation. Either way, I was honest and I am satisfied with myself. I appreciate your input and am now just hoping for the best. In regards to my "less-than-stellar" background...I was referring to what has been expressed as concern by some depts. The fact that I have had a lot of jobs in the last 13 years (one of which I was fired from), I have had some past credit issues, my license was suspended for some time and I smoked marijuana (just a few times) over 8 years ago. I am not a perfect candidate and this is obivious, but I do have a wealth of "life" experience and I know well, right from wrong. I am determined and courageous and a good 960!

Any additional input is appreciated!
    Last edited by whozyodaddy; 09-23-05 at 07:42 PM.

16. This ad will disappear if you login