Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    LE2BE is offline Junior Member LE2BE is a jewel in the rough LE2BE is a jewel in the rough LE2BE is a jewel in the rough LE2BE is a jewel in the rough

Question about LAPD background investigation

I finished and passed my last LAPD test on the 18th of July, which was the Medical and psychological written. About 3-4 days later I started receiving calls from friends that I used as references, regarding the questionaire packet they received. Since I was told that my BI will take longer if my references drag their feet responding to the questionaire, I made sure to call all of my references to make sure they had received the letters. Thankfully, they all had the questionaires filled out and in the mail by the 23rd of July.

Now here is my question.. How long before the LAPD BI goes to visit my neighbors, or parents? At what point in the investigation will the BI contact your current employer? Also, I haven't received any kind of phone call from a BI, and I'm not even sure who my BI is. Should I be concerned with this? What is the general process or order that a BI might follow?

The main reasoning behind asking these questions is to make a possible timeline for getting hired. My current employer may be purchased by a larger engineering firm within the next couple months, and part of the package would include me transitioning over to that company. Unfortunetly I would have to relocate, because I would rather not drive 2 hours to work every morning (in traffic). I'm just trying to decide whether I should even commit to moving with our company, since my boss will soon know my intentions of leaving

Old Trooper is offline Old like fine wine! Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute Old Trooper has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    No one on this forum can answer your questions (unless they happen to be your BI). There is no timeline that anyone here can possibly give you. Since there are no guarantees, if I were you, I'd protect the job I already have, at least for now....PATIENCE!
    CHARACTER is what you do when no one is watching....

LE2BE is offline Junior Member LE2BE is a jewel in the rough LE2BE is a jewel in the rough LE2BE is a jewel in the rough LE2BE is a jewel in the rough
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Trooper
    No one on this forum can answer your questions (unless they happen to be your BI). There is no timeline that anyone here can possibly give you. Since there are no guarantees, if I were you, I'd protect the job I already have, at least for now....PATIENCE!
    Yup... I could see that coming ... :cool: Your right... I'll just be patient

LAPD4ME is offline Veteran Member LAPD4ME has a reputation beyond repute LAPD4ME has a reputation beyond repute LAPD4ME has a reputation beyond repute LAPD4ME has a reputation beyond repute LAPD4ME has a reputation beyond repute LAPD4ME has a reputation beyond repute LAPD4ME has a reputation beyond repute LAPD4ME has a reputation beyond repute LAPD4ME has a reputation beyond repute LAPD4ME has a reputation beyond repute LAPD4ME has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    They'll try to give you 2 weeks notice so you can tell your employer. Until you get the letter from personnel saying "congratulations you are hired for the ## class" you have to wait. It sounds like you have to have your background done, then it needs to get approved (pass audit) then you'll be scheduled for your oral psych, then it will be placed in the certification pile, you'll get certified and at that point you'll be eligible for hire. Just because you are certified does not mean that you'll be picked up as well. If I would have to guess, you have at least a couple months left.

Jeff L is offline Banned Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute Jeff L has a reputation beyond repute
    Moving during a BI can be a real pain. With some agencies it takes an act of congress to get them to recognize your new address so you can keep getting your mail on time (thank God for mail forwarding).

Quote Originally Posted by LAPD4ME
    They'll try to give you 2 weeks notice so you can tell your employer. Until you get the letter from personnel saying "congratulations you are hired for the ## class" you have to wait. It sounds like you have to have your background done, then it needs to get approved (pass audit) then you'll be scheduled for your oral psych, then it will be placed in the certification pile, you'll get certified and at that point you'll be eligible for hire. Just because you are certified does not mean that you'll be picked up as well. If I would have to guess, you have at least a couple months left.
    Thank you... With that guestimate... I'll continue on with my current job, and just make the commute until I get picked up by a department... In the mean time I'll buy an Ipod to get my mind off the traffic.. ;)

sir112 is offline Banned sir112 is a name known to all sir112 is a name known to all sir112 is a name known to all sir112 is a name known to all sir112 is a name known to all sir112 is a name known to all
    im currently in backgrounds too, i see that your still at the first stage of backgrounds. they do a pre-background first, get issued a BI later about a month or so. He/She will contact you at that time and will set a met and greet appointment. your looking between 3 to 6 months if your backgrounds clean. lol, that Ipod will be a good advistment, because lapd is a long process...

Quote Originally Posted by sir112
    your looking between 3 to 6 months if your backgrounds clean. lol, that Ipod will be a good advistment, because lapd is a long process...
    :(

:D Its okay... If its meant to be, I can wait!!

sir112 is offline Banned sir112 is a name known to all sir112 is a name known to all sir112 is a name known to all sir112 is a name known to all sir112 is a name known to all sir112 is a name known to all
    its a long process but if you really want it! i been in the process for almost 5 years. however, i think everything is going pretty good for me right now. just hang in there. good luck ;)

10. This ad will disappear if you login