Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    NYCF is offline Junior Member NYCF is on a distinguished road

After the interview with the investigator

Yesterday I had my interview with a NYC Law Enforcement Investigator for a position that I applied for. After going through the intial background questionair, I presented the investigator all my DD-214's and National Guard discharge paperwork. My military history: US Navy 92-94 General Discharge (under honorable conditions), after I received my discharge, I was able to enlist into the NY Army National Guard. I received a Honorable Discharge after my 6 year contract was up. I mainly left the guard because I became ill during 9/11 search/recovery at ground zero. After two years, with a lot of medical clearances, I was able to enlist in to the NY Air National Guard as a Pararescueman. I got a DOD Secret Clearance and went to active duty for a 2 year training program. Unfortunately, I was injured and left active duty with a Honorably discharge. I went back to the NY Army national guard (Inner State transfer), but my injury at the time hindered me to continue any training and was offered 2 years later to get out with a honorable discharge. The investigator now is grilling me that when I initially send my resume for the applied position my military history states "United States Armed Forces" Honorable Service Discharge 1992-2012 The problem for the investigator is that it says Honorable Service and nothing regarding my General Discharge. I tried to explain that my first discharge was General under Honorable Conditions, but after that all my service discharges are Honorable and because my last discharge is Honorable, my resume says Honorable Service Discharge. My employment record is 12 years and still presently working for a NYS Law Enforcement Agency - civilian (no problems), prior to that 3 years NYC Board of Education (no problems), prior to that 4 years as a K-9 Security Officer (no problems). So there are no gaps or problems in my employment history. No convictions, no outstanding tickets or any outstanding credit problems, and have a Secret Security Clearance. BA degree. Does any forsee me having any problems regarding my investigator calling me the after about my US Navy discharge, even after the fact the military cleared me and allowed me to honorably continue to serve with honorable discharges? Esepecially since the investigator is confused or believed that I intentionally must of left the general discharge out, even though it was the first thing I presented once we went over the military service discharge paperwork? After the call I E-mailed the investigator my recommendation letters from Company Commanders during my Navy time, and recommendations of high ranking officers during my Army and Air Force time. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Sounds like the NYPD psych services interview....
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

The position is not with NYPD, and wasn't a psych interview. The investigator called me the following day for more clarification.

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCF View Post
    The position is not with NYPD, and wasn't a psych interview.
    To clarify, we can only make guesses when you don't mention which agency you're applying to.
    **Visiting/New LEO members: please review the following link for further information on our LEO verification process (which also grants access to our LE-restricted forums for networking and discussions that are LE-sensitive): LEO Verification Details **

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

L-1
    L-1 is offline Tired and grumpy L-1 has a reputation beyond repute L-1 has a reputation beyond repute L-1 has a reputation beyond repute L-1 has a reputation beyond repute L-1 has a reputation beyond repute L-1 has a reputation beyond repute L-1 has a reputation beyond repute L-1 has a reputation beyond repute L-1 has a reputation beyond repute L-1 has a reputation beyond repute L-1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I was never in the service. So, if I were doing your background and you claimed four separate tours in the service and presented me with one General Discharge followed by three Honorables, I’d be confused, shaking my head and asking a lot of questions as well.

However if I were you, I’d be more worried about passing the medical. If I understand your post correctly, your all of your discharges were associated with medical problems serious enough to warrant you leaving. While you may be well now, your medical history may make you more susceptible to certain injuries that are common to law enforcement and thus make you a medical DQ.

Unfortunately, this is not something anyone in personnel or background investigations can discuss with you. Police officers lack the expertise and training necessary to pass judgment as to someone’s medical fitness for the job. In addition, the American’s with Disabilities Act prohibits an employer from discussing an applicant’s medical condition with them except in connection with a bona fide offer of employment. Sadly, this is something that will have to wait until you get to that part of the hiring process.

Thanks for the post. The position does not require a physical exam. It is not a police officer position, but rather a high technology crime investigation position that requires peace officer status. I do understand the confussion for individuals that have no prior military service and see a general discharge followed by honorable from that point on. But if the military understood that in the beginning I was railroaded, yet I pressed on and fought to continue to serve, receiving all honorable discharges, is that something to DQ me for? I was shocked when the investigator told me that it may be a red flag. I guess I am more confused and concerned because I cleared my name with the military, and even went through a federal back ground resulting in a "secret" clearance. Mind you the investigation only took 3 weeks to complete. Was told because it probably was due to my long employment with the NYS law enforcement agency. Either way, thanks again for you post. Much appreciated.

MikeG is online now Veteran Member MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute MikeG has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Why did you receive a general discharge from the Navy after 3 years of service? Were there any restrictions on your re-enlistment? I'm not veteran but as I understand it, a General Discharge under honorable conditions can include a myriad of misconduct that is incompatible with continued military service that may or may not be relevant to a police career. When you say they "cleared you", was it just that they gave you an enlistment code that allowed you to serve again in a different service or did they make a mistake (in which case you should petition them to change your general discharge to Honorable Discharge)?

not a LEO, but FWIW, I know of person that didn't fully disclose a Captain's mast administrative punishment (or whatever they call it) and it came out in the pre-polygraph questionaire that didn't exactly match her application. That is significantly less of a blemish than a General Discharge but the non-disclosure made it a DQ. It wasn't anything that prevented her from getting a LEO job as she was hired at a different agency but the lack of candor about it initially was viewed as a form of dishonesty through omission. I think lumping all your discharges together on your resume initially when one is clearly different might be viewed similarly. Take heart that even though the first BI had to DQ her for the initial omission, the circumstances didn't flunk her out of future LE. She corrected future applications to make sure it was included.

And thank you for your service!

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    You stated you listed on your application resume:
    "United States Armed Forces" Honorable Service Discharge 1992-2012

You should have listed:
    US Navy, 92-94 General Discharge (under honorable conditions) (~2 years)
    NY Army National Guard, date to date, Honorable Discharge (~6 years)
    NY Air National Guard, date to date, Honorable Discharge (~2 years)
    NY Army National Guard, date to date, Honorable Discharge (~2 years)

The problem is either with your details; and/or you articulation; and/or your integrity. You submitted an application that made a false statement. Its a problem because you implied or led somebody to think something, and indicated it was A, when in fact it was A and B and C and D and oh yeah, E. You stated you listed on your application or resume: "United States Armed Forces" Honorable Service Discharge 1992-2012." This implies you have 20 years of military service. Based on what you said here you have 12 years at best, and on top of that, you had a General Disharge which in itself is a red flag.

For somebody who was in the military and works for a LEO agency as a civilian, you should know broad and over generalizations are never allowed and end up resulting in firings or jail sentences. Its about integrity, owning up to the truth and letting the chips fall. You implied you had 20 years of honorable service. Bottom lime in when asked to support such, you can't. You don't have 20 years and you have a general discharge. You don't have one problem, you have two.

Its not the applicants responsibility to decide what facts are important and what are not. LEO's applicants are suppsoed to be accurate and truthful with full disclosure. You were not accurate and failed to give full disclosure up front. It may have gotton you an interview you did not qualify for or deserve. It alos makes it look like you embellish and were trying to hide or delay the General Discharge.

As a guy who does new hire/applicant BI's now (and in the past), I can tell you with my agency, just based on the resume vs. DD214's showing less than 20 years you are DQ'd.

To Joeyd6: Thanks for your reply/post and explaining what the situation is. I do want to point out that during the interview I did state my dates in service. Also, when aksed what was my discharge, I stated Honorable. Reason being, my last discharge from the military was/IS Honorable. When I went through my secret clearance it was asked what last discharge (Honorable), but followed by any mishaps during my military career. In regards to your explaination how I should of listed my military, not to make an excuse, but my breaks in service would make my resume 3 pages long (its already 2). So, during my interview I did disclose my breaks in service, and when asked my discharge, just as with the military recruiter and background checks, they are only concerned about the last discharge recieved, I stated this. During the interview and my questionair when ask about any problems while in the military, it was the first thing disclosed on paper and my investigator. I have nothing to hide and owe up to anything/everything. Not to mention that since that discharge, I had to over and over explain what has happened, with positive feed back from civilian, LEO and military high ranking officials alike that I was railroaded. It bothers me somewhat that after that time, and even going back in to the military earning awards, medals and honorable discharges, I still till this day get flagged. But I do understand where you are coming from and greatly appreciate your feedback/view on how you handle applicants with General discharges. Either way Gents, what ever the outcome will be, I will post the results - outcome.

The results came in Tuesday evening. Could start Monday morning, but I will give 2 weeks notice to my current employer. After having read some of the replies in this thread, I wanted to point out that my application resume did state what initially was suggested I should put down. My personal resume (2 pages long) was a short list in regards to my military service. My application resume, interview, application, background check and interview all where listed the way they are/should be. I recently browsed through some of the other threads and one LEO explained it very well. Sometimes good soldiers, sailors and marines get in a situation beyond their control that even may lead to an unjustified discharge. Some do not attempt to clear their name and get the discharge upgraded, others believe in getting it corrected and even re-enlist (like myself) to prove they always have and want to continue serving the United States of America Honorably. I am not saying that all military discharges are incorrect, but the fact still remains that just as there are good leaders and enlisted personnel in the United States Armed Forces, there are bad ones serving as well. Some leaders can and will make bad decisions that has an effect and destroys another persons character and good reputation. Again Gents, thank you for your replies and opions. All were greatly appreciated! God bless and be safe!

Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Thanks for the update....good luck!

12. This ad will disappear if you login