Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    laylagrace2011 is offline Junior Member laylagrace2011 is on a distinguished road

Illinois - Laptop stolen and pawned

An old friend of mine stole my laptop when i was living with her but in the hospital giving birth at the time. She then took it to a local pawn shop and got a loan. I gave her enough time to give it back to me because I don't have the money to get it out myself and I hate to be the one calling the police. I'm now fed up as its been a few months and I need to get my laptop back. How can I go about getting it back without having to actually pay for it? Is there any way the police can get it returned to me?

G35 Mass is offline Veteran Member G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    In my little state, that's stolen property and as such the pawn shop would be required to turn it over to the police immediately as evidence. If they refused, a search warrant would resolve the issue.

qpd158 is offline Veteran Member qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute qpd158 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Call up your local agency tell them the story, have proof of ownership of that laptop, without proof of ownership, pawn shop won't have to turn it over.
    If you have proof of ownership, ie serial number, sales receipt etc, make a copy and keep and give original to officer. Tell them what pawn shop its at. Officer should go to said pawn shop compare the one you say is yours to the information you have, if it matches the computer will be confiscated and so will the pawn ticket. Officer then should go find the person on the pawn ticket and talk with them and either make an arrest of someone or refer report to the State's Attorney or just have the property returned. It would be not to your best interest to tell the officer, I really don't want my friend arrested.

4. This ad will disappear if you login