Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    ClubGitmo is offline Junior Member ClubGitmo is on a distinguished road

Would You Accept Digital Proof of Insurance?

In regards to a traffic stop, would you accept digital proof of insurance? For example, the driver pulling up his or her auto insurance policy on a smart phone? My insurance company for example (USAA), has an app that allows one to see auto policies at the touch of a button. Would elimenate having decades worth of expired insurance but no current proof during a traffic stop.

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Actually, my department put out a general order about this. Yes we will accept digital proof as long as it has your name on it and an expiration date that I can read.
    Pittsburgh Pirates- 1st place NL Central 7/15/11

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

Cat_Doc is offline No Sugarcoating Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute Cat_Doc has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Yep. Our statute states one must present evidence of financial responsibility. It does not say it has to be a small card mailed to you. We will accept any reasonable evidence that you have current insurance.
    "No one is compelled to choose the profession of a police officer, but having chosen it, everyone is obligated to perform its duties and live up to the high standards of its requirements." ~ President Calvin Coolidge

“The nobility of policing demands the noblest of character.” ~ Dr. Stephen R. Covey

retdetsgt is offline Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Heh, that's all before my time, but I looked at Oregon's and it only says you have to display proof of insurance when asked by a police officer. It doesn't specify a paper document though.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

ClubGitmo is offline Junior Member ClubGitmo is on a distinguished road
    Good deal. Thanks folks.

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ClubGitmo View Post
    In regards to a traffic stop, would you accept digital proof of insurance? For example, the driver pulling up his or her auto insurance policy on a smart phone? My insurance company for example (USAA), has an app that allows one to see auto policies at the touch of a button. Would elimenate having decades worth of expired insurance but no current proof during a traffic stop.
    Absolutely, I have USAA myself so I for sure would know yours is legit.

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

DeltaV is offline Veteran Member DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I have Progressive, and while the app does show what is essentially an insurance card there is a disclaimer on the bottom that it does not constitute proof of insurance as required by law. I personally wouldn't care and would accept that, but I'm sure not everyone would. Obviously the information on a smartphone is probably going to be more current than a printed card. I've stopped plenty of people without insurance who still have a valid card. They've gotten their policies cancelled after the card was printed.

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Only problem for you is that if you want to use it as proof of ins, I'm taking your phone back to my car. Im not going to stand at your car reading it and be distracted if the driver chose to attack me.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

mobrien316 is offline Philosopher/Marksman mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute mobrien316 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Only problem for you is that if you want to use it as proof of ins, I'm taking your phone back to my car. Im not going to stand at your car reading it and be distracted if the driver chose to attack me.
    This is why I wouldn't accept it. With another couple of reasons.

In Connecticut the law specifies that you must carry it with you and it must be available for me to take in hand. Handing me an electronic device with what could be (for all I know) a JPG of a Photoshopped insurance document is not sufficient.

Another issue for me would be: If you tried to hand me your wallet with your license in it I would refuse to take it and would ask you again to just give me your license, registration, and insurance ID card. Just like there is no way I would ever take someone's wallet from them and carry it back to my car, there is no way I"m going to take someone's iPhone (or whatever) from them and carry it back to my car. Even if I didn't actually drop it and break it, or spill coffee on it, or whatever, the mope in the car getting the ticket could easily claim that I did and I would pretty much have to prove I didn't.

I stick to having them hand me their license, registration, and insurance ID card. I won't take anything else from them.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Fiat justitia, ruat coelum.

Verified LEO
    Our policy says we have to accept digital proof of insurance, but I'm taking the phone back to my car. Period. Driver doesn't like it, then they are getting charged with not providing proof.

G35 Mass is offline Veteran Member G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute G35 Mass has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I guess it's pretty cool, but I wouldn't be able to help myself and question it's authenticity.

It's a non-issue for me. Mass insurance reports real-time to the RMV. No insurance = a listing in CJIS that it's uninsured. I don't care what's in hand. The CJIS queries are the only thing I use to determine insured / uninsured status.

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by G35 Mass View Post
    I guess it's pretty cool, but I wouldn't be able to help myself and question it's authenticity.

It's a non-issue for me. Mass insurance reports real-time to the RMV. No insurance = a listing in CJIS that it's uninsured. I don't care what's in hand. The CJIS queries are the only thing I use to determine insured / uninsured status.
    I wish PA would do this. Anyone can cancel insurance the next day and they still have the card, and PennDOT takes way to long to suspend plates for insurance cancellation.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by G35 Mass View Post

CO does the same, but only at the time of registration. So it could show "insured" if the owner presented proof of insurance at the time of registration/renewal, but wouldn't show if they cancelled it the next day.

14. This ad will disappear if you login