Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    JustCharles is offline Junior Member JustCharles is on a distinguished road

Harassment or threats via text messages, what is considered a threat?

First off I am just an average citizen. And I live in WA state. I want to thank anyone who is willing to answer my post as I feel very abused at the moment and it is disturbing my family.

First a little background.
    I bought a truck a week ago and the guy I bought it from left a towing controller box in the truck. A day later he wanted it back and I obliged to do so by my own generosity since he said he spent a lot of money on it and needed it for his new truck. That day he sent his girlfriend to pickup this part to my house so that I could give it to her. When she arrived I forgot to give her the bracket that holds it so she returned maybe 30-40 minutes later and picked up that piece.

Well the next day i get a call from the seller. He starts calling me names and accusing me of giving him a different item than what was in the car and then starts asking me why I didn't cut the cables because he needed them. I told him I wouldn't and that I assumed he would get a new cable for his new truck. I have to say that i know nothing about these things so I just assumed and i am not about to cut any wires and I told his girlfriend i wouldn't. Well after he verbally abused me for a good 5 minutes we ended the phone call with him saying he demanded that i get him this harness and remove it from the truck.

The next day I sent him a text message after I bought a new tow controller(exact same one) and offered to give him the new one. He never answered. Not for 3 days. Well on the 4th day he sends me a message saying "I am getting under his skin" "you make me make 3 trips to get what was mine" granted i know nothing of a third trip only the two trips by his girlfriend which probably were not full trips since he live 1.5 hours away. then he says" You can bring me that F'n plug today or deal with my bad side!"
    I then replied by saying he was blowing this out of proportion and that he should have contacted me 3 days ago. And then I said "if you are going to threaten me over a wire then I really dont have much more to say to you."
    The he says" I want the whole length of the wire harness and get it now"
    The I text him back explaining why he should have contacted me 3 days ago and that I cant help him today. I work as a subcontractor for DHS so I don't even want to be anywhere near some idiot wanting a fist fight over stupid stuff. The wire is worth 15-20 bucks tops.

Then he says"Ok Dooshbag...(on and on how I inconvenienced him) ..I am the wrong guy you want to pull that **** on! Trust me"

I replied" Ill mail it and thats it. If you are threatening me I will call the cops."

He then says" Cops, you are now a *****""I need it now dude!"

I tell him I work for DHS and I don't want to be anywhere near trouble

He tells me the cops and DHS can ...whatever

I tell him to "calm down"

He tells me he is a "15 year MMA fighter, give this pic to your wife so she know what she is missing"

Sends a pic of himself flexing in a picture all buffed out after the gym

i say" I can mail it today where do you want it sent?"

And then i said " Ok I am done being polite"

then I am " a dooshbag and a *****...."

So I called my local police and I the officer said none of this is threatening and he cant do anything. He said he would call the guy for me and try to get him to knock it off. I give the officer the number and the guy quits texting me.

My wife works from home so I tell her what happened and she freaks. She works from home and I go away for 2 weeks for work on the southern border for CBP in 5 days.

So to make her feel better I call the same officer and ask that he looks at the messages and tells me its not threatening.

He shows up and tells me" I would be upset too if I was that guy, and he seemed nice on the phone" He said the guy would send me his address to send him his wire which really isnt his I am just being nice. He never sent me the address and now i feel a little bit shorted by my police officer. Should I feel this way? My wife is scared and the officer told me I can't even file a report on it. In fact he accused me of trying to make this bigger than it is or try to get someone in trouble.

I think I am just too damn nice.

i would appreciate any opinion. I am considering going over the officers head to his superior. At least check in on my wife. I told the officer that and he blew me off. I can't believe it.

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    A threat has to be direct, not implied. I saw nothing that he wrote that would fall under that category. I know it's upsetting to deal with someone like that, but he really didn't cross the line. There's a difference is saying, "I want so and so and I own 25 guns" and "I want so and so or I'll come over and shoot you".

The first amendment is a wonderful thing, but it also has it's downside sometimes.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

GoDirectly2Jail is offline Do Not Collect $200 GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    You spent A LOT more time and effort responding to him than I would have.
    Click HERE for a common sense tutorial on posting at RealPolice.net.

DISCLAIMER: The above posting, if in response to a background or hiring question, is not meant to discourage any dreams or ambitions, but instead is a brutally honest opinion based soley on the information provided by the original poster. Please note that your suitability as an applicant is NOT tied in any way with your worth as a person.

Quote Originally Posted by retdetsgt View Post
    A threat has to be direct, not implied. I saw nothing that he wrote that would fall under that category. I know it's upsetting to deal with someone like that, but he really didn't cross the line. There's a difference is saying, "I want so and so and I own 25 guns" and "I want so and so or I'll come over and shoot you".

The first amendment is a wonderful thing, but it also has it's downside sometimes.

So I understand there might not be anything there incriminating, but does this not justify maybe watching my house or checking in on my wife while Im not home? The officer said he could do nothing. My conversation with him was that I am going away for 2 weeks for work, and that my wife wanted a reassurance that these messages were not threatening. Now legally threatening or implied threatening, regardless its something that grants more attention than sitting on the side of the road writing traffic tickets for 15 minutes to swing by. Thats how I feel. I hope that doesnt offend, but am I asking too much? Or maybe I shouldn't feel slighted, especially when the officer expressed sympathy for the guy harassing me. It was at the very least harassment.

And if someone says to you "do this, or deal with my bad side" that doesn't really mean anything either?

You would think this was at least harassment. But I guess I would have to tell him to stop a couple times before it would be harassment.

Thanks for you feedback retdetsgt I really appreciate it!

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Okay, stop and think about it. What are the odds that if this guy is going to do something, that the officer will happen to be checking on your house or your wife at the time? Really, what good would that do? Besides, if the officer talked to the guy, the guy may have been reasonable and nice about it because he knew he went over the line. Even so, we can't be bodyguards, the courts have ruled numerous times that we can't be expected to protect everyone from everything.

Statutes define harassment with specific elements. Go to Washington state criminal statutes and look it up, I doubt that you will find that arguing with some via texts is illegal.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

I don't think the odds are very good at all. But I didn't once express any kind of argument just help to the guy and his response in my opinion was a little weird and borderline threatening. You have to add the text messages up with the phone call days earlier. Now I understand your point odds are very low. But your job as an employee to the community is to make people safer. And with the help of neighbors, friends, and maybe the the local police someone can prevent some idiotic behavior. Or we can sit on the side of the road for 2-3 hours a day writing tickets and try to prevent a serious traffic incident which may never happen on a 35 mph road.

But what you are saying to me that there is nothing about this situation that warrants any more attention than it has already. And if this happened to you or your family you wouldn't feel differently? Or I wonder if he ran a background on him?

scott715us is offline Sgt/DUI Inst/Juris Doctor scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute scott715us has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    It would likely fall under harassing communications where I am. I would keep the text messages and if you hear from him again then have a warrant filed for harassment. If he attempts to do anything physical, you have great evidence to present to the DA to support an assault conviction or anything else. I doubt he's going to do anything. He wanted to run head, a LEO called him, and now no contact. I wouldn't worry.

Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I'm not sure about Washington, but I suspect it's like Oregon. He can't get any kind of warrant filed himself. A police officer takes a report and submits it to the DA and the DA decides. No doubt the officer he talked to is familiar with Washington law and what happened didn't break any or he would have at least taken a report.

To the OP, we know what our jobs are. And they are not to pull you out of every civil problem you get yourself into. If we had the manpower, we would station a police officer in every neighborhood, but that's not even conceivable. Again, I realize you're upset, but you can't expect a police officer to station himself outside your home because you got into an argument with some moron. If you don't like the way Washington laws are written, contact your legislator.

My Little Buddy

manahmanah is offline I am sick of illegals! manahmanah has a reputation beyond repute manahmanah has a reputation beyond repute manahmanah has a reputation beyond repute manahmanah has a reputation beyond repute manahmanah has a reputation beyond repute manahmanah has a reputation beyond repute manahmanah has a reputation beyond repute manahmanah has a reputation beyond repute manahmanah has a reputation beyond repute manahmanah has a reputation beyond repute manahmanah has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Do you realize how many people on a daily basis ask us to "keep an eye on their house" or for "close patrol"? If you want that kind of protection hire a security guard.

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCharles View Post
    I don't think the odds are very good at all. But I didn't once express any kind of argument just help to the guy and his response in my opinion was a little weird and borderline threatening. You have to add the text messages up with the phone call days earlier. Now I understand your point odds are very low. But your job as an employee to the community is to make people safer. And with the help of neighbors, friends, and maybe the the local police someone can prevent some idiotic behavior. Or we can sit on the side of the road for 2-3 hours a day writing tickets and try to prevent a serious traffic incident which may never happen on a 35 mph road.

But what you are saying to me that there is nothing about this situation that warrants any more attention than it has already. And if this happened to you or your family you wouldn't feel differently? Or I wonder if he ran a background on him?
    RDS already responded as to what "our jobs" are.

And if it was me, I'd take the steps to ensure my own safety, not rely on the police (or anyone else for that matter) to do it for me. Where I live, we have on average 8-10 deputies for about 400+ square miles. If I requested a deputy to keep an eye on my house, they MIGHT be able to stop by once a day or so. So a maybe 2 minute drive by every 24 hours. Hell, I work in a city of almost 500,000. I have that many officers just on my shift, but with our call volume, I still couldn't do a drive by more than maybe twice a shift.

No department that I know of can do more than just a drive by every once in a while. And quite frankly, I want the police out dealing with criminals and idiot drivers, not blow hards who are ticked off over a civil situation.
    You'll be gone for 2 weeks. Do you own any defensive weapons? Does your wife know how to use them? Dog? Alarm system? I'm gone most nights at work. My wife owns, carries, and is moderately proficient with her handgun, and I've got a few handguns scattered throughout the house in locations near entrances. I also have a large dog who barks when a car drives by the house, let alone comes down the driveway (I live out in the sticks).
    Last edited by ChesCopPodz; 06-15-11 at 04:53 PM.
    Pittsburgh Pirates- 1st place NL Central 7/15/11

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

lawduck is offline Addicted to oil lawduck has a reputation beyond repute lawduck has a reputation beyond repute lawduck has a reputation beyond repute lawduck has a reputation beyond repute lawduck has a reputation beyond repute lawduck has a reputation beyond repute lawduck has a reputation beyond repute lawduck has a reputation beyond repute lawduck has a reputation beyond repute lawduck has a reputation beyond repute lawduck has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I'm sure Texas and WA laws are similar.
    That isn't harassment. You're replying back to him (having conversation).
    Nothing he said is a terroristic threat. Nothing he said should place you in fear of imminent danger/bodily harm. And no DA is going to believe otherwise.

EACH PERSON is responsible for their OWN PROTECTION. NO ONE ELSE. Learn to defend yourself.
    If someone was texting me in such a manner I'd tell them to bring it on. And I would be prepared to use deadly force if the need be. I wouldn't call the police.
    What good is it going to do to file a warrant for his arrest for something like harassment? Is that going to make him stop texting you?

The ones who do the talking are the ones who aren't going to do a damn thing. It's the quiet ones you've got to worry about.

In my experience, ignoring someone usually makes them go away. They'll get bored.
    Last edited by lawduck; 06-17-11 at 10:40 AM.
    “I sometimes wish that people would put a little more emphasis upon the observance of the law than they do upon its enforcement”

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    If you hear from him again , tell him that you have filed a report with the police. If he shows up at your residence, the police will be called. Tell him that you are DONE dealing with him and to CEASE and DESIST contacting you in any form.
    Creeper Cop

13. This ad will disappear if you login