Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    LizC is offline Junior Member LizC is on a distinguished road

Can i get a government job with an expunged record?

I had a pety theft (from stealing from a job) misdemoner expunged off my record after completing diversion for 3 months. I am almost finished with my bacholors degree in criminology and have an associates in forensics. I have been at the job i am at now for 3 years. I had it expunged in 2007. So around 4 years ago. I want an occupation in youth corrections or probation. I talked to a couple correctional facility and they said they hire people with a record as long as they disclose it. I have to get a background check at the same company for an internship and wasnt sure if they would change their mind about letting me intern for them. It is state level. I am in the state of ohio.

Ispbear is offline Veteran Member Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute Ispbear has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    It will have more do due with what the "petty theft" was from. For example, were you stealing cash from a drawer or were you eating left over food at a resturant. We need a little more information to make an informed decesion.
    Excuse me Officer, I have a stupid Question. "No problem, I've got a stupid answer for you!"

I stole cash from a drawer under $250.

GoDirectly2Jail is offline Do Not Collect $200 GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute GoDirectly2Jail has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LizC View Post
    I had a pety theft (from stealing from a job) misdemoner expunged off my record after completing diversion for 3 months. I am almost finished with my bacholors degree in criminology and have an associates in forensics. I have been at the job i am at now for 3 years. I had it expunged in 2007. So around 4 years ago. I want an occupation in youth corrections or probation. I talked to a couple correctional facility and they said they hire people with a record as long as they disclose it. I have to get a background check at the same company for an internship and wasnt sure if they would change their mind about letting me intern for them. It is state level. I am in the state of ohio.
    Did you do a thread search on expunged records? It's been gone over quite a bit, especially lately.
    Click HERE for a common sense tutorial on posting at RealPolice.net.

DISCLAIMER: The above posting, if in response to a background or hiring question, is not meant to discourage any dreams or ambitions, but instead is a brutally honest opinion based soley on the information provided by the original poster. Please note that your suitability as an applicant is NOT tied in any way with your worth as a person.

I know that they can see everything that has been expunged im aware of that. Thanks for your help.

marinepilot is offline Slippin' the surly bonds marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I would be worried more about the crime of actually stealing from your employer and the morals that shows than whether or not it was expunged or not. That might actually be more of a disqualification than regular pettit theft would be.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

Sgt. Ervin Romans (OPD) - EOW March 21, 2009

Since I have not had any other offense would I still have a chance though? Even if not as a police maybe a probation officer, or a youth corrections officer, or working for children services or any other type of government work? Or maybe in a human resources office? Thanks for your help!

marinepilot is offline Slippin' the surly bonds marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I'm not saying you don't have a chance, I'm just thinking out loud that a new employer, when notified that their new prospect, was convicted of stealing from an old employer, they may have pause. Every company / agency is different in their view, and I'm just kinda playing devils advocate here, not knowing anything about who you're applying to. Also, it will depend on time since the event happened, and your record since then, not only what you HAVEN'T done, but what good HAVE you done.

I would hazard a guess you still have a chance, as I've seen people hired with convictions for crimes worse than petit theft.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

Sgt. Ervin Romans (OPD) - EOW March 21, 2009

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    It depends on what state you're in. In Oregon, expunged means gone and the court order states that you can legally say you were never arrested. The record of your arrest is removed from all files, including federal and state. In others, it's only sealed and LE can still get at it.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

10. This ad will disappear if you login