Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    Almcb25 is offline Junior Member Almcb25 is on a distinguished road

Impersonating a Police Officer or federal official

My fiancé is in the middle of a rather nasty child custody dispute. We live here in Shawnee Oklahoma and have been for most of our lives. We moved into a newly built apartment complex albeit right next to murder row but nevertheless they were new and we needed a place in a pinch. Anyhow, we didn't realize that the landlord was related to my fiancée ex-husband and now we are paying for it.

It started about two weeks ago when I took my new fiancé on vacation. I knew something was up and it was potentially the owner or landlord due to a few things getting back to her ex-husband about random things that only they would know. I wanted to prove it somehow so I called on the day we were leaving very early and left a message on the landlords voicemail indicating that there was a bad accident and we had to leave very suddenly. We hadn't even landed yet and her ex was fervently texting about where his son was and who had died. They even went so far as to call her mother and ask a bunch of questions.

We returned and I was furious. I didn't say anything to her but I called the landlord and told him the issue and he said he had no clue why she would do that.

Alright so here is the reason for this post.

Just two days ago on Saturday I came home from a long day of dealing with liars and thieves. As I got out of my car the landlord approached me about us having a cat and initiated an argument right in the parking lot. She went on after I called her the c word to exclaim that I was a con artist and that my fiancé told her I was a Marshall or something. She also said she knew I was an investigator and that they had investigator's of their own and they hired one to investigate me. She stated that they found out a whole bunch of things they wish they didn't and that I should google my name and find out

So I did, nothing came up in any database. I am a professional investigator specializing in anti-fraud and arson. I am former Police Officer and have been in my current field for many years. I know the law but I am really worried about this lady. She called the Police that day, she didn't file a report but she wasted the mans time as I was in my home and working when they showed up. I happened to know him and it went fairly well so it was no big hastle. I could have asked him but I knew he couldn't divulge the context of his discussion with her and infeally didn't want any of my friends to know the gory details of this thing

My question is twofold.

Can she claim I was impersonating an officer and get me into trouble even though I didn't?

She would have to have proof correct?

And what should I do besides move?

I thought about several not very ethical options but I wouldn't want to lower myself to her level. I'm just worried she's going to file a report saying that I impersonated an officer.

We are moving within a few days so we are good there but I want this lady to leave us alone after this and I'm afraid she won't. Based on her background I can see that she is an ex-con who appears to be very vindictive.

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    To be honest, I would think that if you were a former police officer, you would know the answers to these questions.

1. If someone else says you are a police officer and you do nothing to claim you are, you can't get in trouble.

2. Frankly, calling her the C word pretty much brought you down to her level. You better move. All this is petty, civil BS.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Doc View Post
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

pac201 is offline just glad to be here... pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by retdetsgt View Post
    To be honest, I would think that if you were a former police officer, you would know the answers to these questions.

1. If someone else says you are a police officer and you do nothing to claim you are, you can't get in trouble.

2. Frankly, calling her the C word pretty much brought you down to her level. You better move. All this is petty, civil BS.
    I have to agree with this ^^^...
    Job Security...
    Ecclesiastes 8:11...
    Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Almcb25 is offline Junior Member Almcb25 is on a distinguished road

Thanks

Honestly the law in this part of the state is rather hasty and good ol' boy oriented. I've lived here my entire life but not in this area, therefore I am still considered an outsider to the hillbillies and rednecks in the area.

I felt as though she was attempting to manufacture proof by claiming that my fiancé made the comment about me being an Officer or whatever she purportedly said. Basically any opportunity to make my fiancé and I look like unfit parents. In Oklahoma you have to hold out to the community that you are a Police Officer, and or simply gain or attempt to gain something by indicating that you hold a fiduciary position.

I did none of these things; however I've seen the level of professionalism in this town amongst these Police Officers. Having PC or not having it doesn't matter either way with these guys. They arrested a man not that long ago on the word of a civilian. Apparently three Officers were indicted for arresting a man based on the claim that he was in POS CDS. It turned out that the guy was a youth minister from Holdenville Minnesota; he was just passing through and somehow crossed one of the local rednecks which subsequently called the 1-800-bust-a-delaer line and got him arrested at his hotel.

When I was a Police Officer we took Impersonation very seriously, almost personally in some cases. I just don't want to end up as the victim of some young gung ho boot. We are moving and yes I agree that calling her the c word was a little crass. I had a weak moment of blinding anger. Haven't you ever been accosted by someone that wouldn't stop, no matter what you did they wouldn't shut up. I tried being polite, I tried yelling back, I went into my home, I even called the Police as well, nothing seemed to stop her screaming but the site of a patrol car rolling her way. She promptly stopped yelling and went and sat on her front porch as he made his way up the road.

Thanks for answering my question, I appreciate the help. I know it's mainly a civil matter but I was just worried about her making false accusations and then I end up being the victim of some young gung ho boot.

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO

+1000
    Creeper Cop

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Almcb25 View Post
    Honestly the law in this part of the state is rather hasty and good ol' boy oriented. I've lived here my entire life but not in this area, therefore I am still considered an outsider to the hillbillies and rednecks in the area.

I felt as though she was attempting to manufacture proof by claiming that my fiancé made the comment about me being an Officer or whatever she purportedly said. Basically any opportunity to make my fiancé and I look like unfit parents. In Oklahoma you have to hold out to the community that you are a Police Officer, and or simply gain or attempt to gain something by indicating that you hold a fiduciary position.

I did none of these things; however I've seen the level of professionalism in this town amongst these Police Officers. Having PC or not having it doesn't matter either way with these guys. They arrested a man not that long ago on the word of a civilian. Apparently three Officers were indicted for arresting a man based on the claim that he was in POS CDS. It turned out that the guy was a youth minister from Holdenville Minnesota; he was just passing through and somehow crossed one of the local rednecks which subsequently called the 1-800-bust-a-delaer line and got him arrested at his hotel.

When I was a Police Officer we took Impersonation very seriously, almost personally in some cases. I just don't want to end up as the victim of some young gung ho boot. We are moving and yes I agree that calling her the c word was a little crass. I had a weak moment of blinding anger. Haven't you ever been accosted by someone that wouldn't stop, no matter what you did they wouldn't shut up. I tried being polite, I tried yelling back, I went into my home, I even called the Police as well, nothing seemed to stop her screaming but the site of a patrol car rolling her way. She promptly stopped yelling and went and sat on her front porch as he made his way up the road.

Thanks for answering my question, I appreciate the help. I know it's mainly a civil matter but I was just worried about her making false accusations and then I end up being the victim of some young gung ho boot.
    Sounds to me like the only evidence is hearsay. That won't fly in any court I know of. Without your fiance herself testifying against you, you have nothing to worry about and I'm pretty sure that won't happen.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

retdetsgt is online now Back in my day!!!! retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute retdetsgt has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
    Sounds to me like the only evidence is hearsay. That won't fly in any court I know of. Without your fiance herself testifying against you, you have nothing to worry about and I'm pretty sure that won't happen.
    I don't see how it could go anywhere, period unless he says or implies that he's a cop. I could tell people that you're an FBI SA and unless you do something to perpetuate it, you're not responsible for anything I say.

Of course, you could sue me for defamation of character......
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was, and now what I'm with isn't it. And what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grampa Simpson

My Little Buddy
    You just gotta realize he is hard of hearing and cranky, and try to speak up more clearly next time and make it perfectly clear what you were saying so there is no misinterpretation. You gotta try not to get mad at the old guy, recognizing the issue at hand.

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I don't see how it could go anywhere, period unless he says or implies that he's a cop. I could tell people that you're an FBI SA and unless you do something to perpetuate it, you're not responsible for anything I say.

Yeah I was looking into it more as if the landlord was saying more than his finace just said he was one, mainly because it appears he is a PI. I have the tendency to overanalyze things sometimes...

I feel like I need to be a Fed or an Aussie to fit in around here anymore.

Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
    I feel like I need to be a Fed or an Aussie to fit in around here anymore.
    Try for Aussie!

My Little Buddy

pac201 is offline just glad to be here... pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute pac201 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

Reps.

No offense to the Feds on here...

Job Security...
    Ecclesiastes 8:11...
    Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

marinepilot is online now Slippin' the surly bonds marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Try for Aussie!
    Probably a lot easier than getting on with the Feds!
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

Sgt. Ervin Romans (OPD) - EOW March 21, 2009

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pac201 View Post

No offense to the Feds on here...

No offense taken, we don't claim the Bureau either!

... if you read this, Wolfman, sorry, bro, but someone had to say it!

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

Verified LEO
    Try for Aussie!
    I can't imagine the amount of ladies I'd pick up with that accent...

Chef_Au is offline In your rear view mirror Chef_Au has a reputation beyond repute Chef_Au has a reputation beyond repute Chef_Au has a reputation beyond repute Chef_Au has a reputation beyond repute Chef_Au has a reputation beyond repute Chef_Au has a reputation beyond repute Chef_Au has a reputation beyond repute Chef_Au has a reputation beyond repute Chef_Au has a reputation beyond repute Chef_Au has a reputation beyond repute Chef_Au has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    You know we're taking over!! Everyone loves an aussie. Besides apparently we're all rednecks so it makes us half decent ones stand out.

Greg would be beating the women off with a stick!
    There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

We're here to save your butt, not kiss it

15. This ad will disappear if you login