Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
    Bull73 is offline Junior Member Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts

PA state Police Polygraph

If you have smoked marijuana 1 yr prior the application was processed will you be DQ'ed when it comes to the polygraph test. also how many years do you have to be marijuana free?

marinepilot is offline Slippin' the surly bonds marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull73 View Post
    If you have smoked marijuana 1 yr prior the application was processed will you be DQ'ed when it comes to the polygraph test. also how many years do you have to be marijuana free?
    Bull, first off, Welcome to RP from the Florida Panhandle! Usually it's customary to visit our New Member Introductions section and post a thread telling us a little bit about yourself as one of your first posts. But, for now, pllease feel free to look around and explore the space at RP, there's lots of good info here.

As for your question, I am not from PA, but I can tell you that most likely 1 year from the last time you smoked pot is NOT enough time before applying for a LE job! Also, it depends on how old you are now, and therefore how old you were last time you smoked a year ago, as well as how many times you've smoked pot. At my agency in Florida, and most around me, you have to have been marijuana free for at least 3 years before even thinking about applying, and that's if your usage was limited to at most a couple times when you were young and foolish. And believe me, those are the very outside limits. Should it come to light that you last smoked pot when you were in your late 20's or later, or that you did it habitually, then you're probably done in this career field. And as far as how long marijuana free, even if you did only smoke once or twice in your teens, just think of all the applicants that NEVER smoked it, and how you're going to be competing against them for a limited amount of openings. Hard to beat never with a minimal 3 year absence from illegal drugs.

Also, just to let you know, most agencies that I've heard of, if you'd done anything stronger than marijuana, that's an auto DQ for good.

Best of luck to you, in whatever you choose to do. And a word of advice, stop breaking the law if you're thinking of trying to someday enforce it.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

Sgt. Ervin Romans (OPD) - EOW March 21, 2009

mcsap is offline Veteran member ( retired) mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute mcsap has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    If you recently smoked MJ , it doesn't sound like you REALLY want to get into LE.

MOST dept's in PA require 3-5 YEARS drug free. Do you have a plan B ?
    Creeper Cop

Joeyd6 is offline Moderator Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute Joeyd6 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    I love the "I really want to be a cop but last ________(insert week, month year) I made a choice to knowingly break the law for my personal benefit. I only did once and don't think I shoudl be held accountable. Please give me a badge, gun and lots of power that can be abused, and insert me into others lives to make important decisions for them in a high stress environment. Even though I made a bad choice for myself, you can trust me not to make bad choices for them."

I made a decision I wanted to be a cop when I was little. As a result, I made choices that were not popular with my peers and kept me from some what have been described as "fraet" events. But at 35, I have yet to try marijuana, steroids, crack, heroin, or any other illegal substance. And you want to sit next to me and work criminal cases? I don't have time at the scene of a an arrest to make sure my former partner isn't pocketing the weed we found on the subject. Welcome to 2011 kids, where quite possibly you are actually being held accountable for your actions. MSCAP was right...find plan B and execute it!
    -In God we trust. All others, put your hands on the car and don't move.

Kimble is offline Why so serious? Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute Kimble has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I find it interesting that you ask would this DQ you at the polygraph, makes me wonder if you didn't previously list the MJ usage in your initial background questionnaire paperwork and are now fearing it being uncovered during the polygraph...

Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of justice.

My new hero!

Bull73 is offline Junior Member Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts Bull73 is infamous around these parts
    reason why i asked to the question is that im 19 now and on my 19th birthday is wen i quit. i did it there and then not all the time. i have the dream to be a state trooper and with my history in life i would make a great one. im currently in college pursuing my BA in criminal justice and i was told here in Pa that you have to be clean from it for 5 yrs and i understand that and i will be. i just wanted to make sure. i plan on applying after i graduate in 2016 after im done with my college football career at bloomsburg university. also im bilangual and bilangual troopers are in need now a days. i jus made foolish choices when young.
    Last edited by Bull73; 02-08-11 at 12:34 PM.

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Sounds to me from the question that you figure you will smoke weed during college and stil be OK.

Bear in mind that PSP is an in-demand job in this state. They have no lack of applicants so keep off the drugs and alcohol and college and don't do anyhting stupid and you may be OK, depending on the amount of MJ usage you have thus far. You're going to have alot of competition...
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

@ marinepilot-im 19 and a freshman in college my hopes and dreams is to become PA state trooper. i quit smoking mj on my 19th birthday . how i see it is that no one is perfect ppl make mistakes i made my choices when i was stupid. i made my mind to stay away from substances that will interviene with my future. i know that its 5 yrs here in Pa to be cleared from mj and i will succeed. im pursuing my ba in criminal justice and minoring in spanish . i hope with my ba it can be a little easier to overlook my past. i never did mj habitually it was only there and then but im done and been clean since then.

marinepilot is offline Slippin' the surly bonds marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute marinepilot has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    @ marinepilot-im 19 and a freshman in college my hopes and dreams is to become PA state trooper. i quit smoking mj on my 19th birthday . how i see it is that no one is perfect ppl make mistakes i made my choices when i was stupid. i made my mind to stay away from substances that will interviene with my future. i know that its 5 yrs here in Pa to be cleared from mj and i will succeed. im pursuing my ba in criminal justice and minoring in spanish . i hope with my ba it can be a little easier to overlook my past. i never did mj habitually it was only there and then but im done and been clean since then.
    Bull, all well and good, but I think maybe you're missing the point of most of the posts on here. Yes, nobody is perfect and people make mistakes. You, however, did NOT make a mistake, you made very bad choices. You say you quit on your 19th birthday, staying away from substances that will intervene with your future. Great! So you've got from 1 day to 364 days clean! What we're trying to tell you is that it's already too late, you have ALREADY intervened with your future! It's great to see that you're finally starting to make correct choices, and while the dope you smoked may not be an automatic DQ, it will definitely affect your chances at attaining your so called "hopes and dreams".

Okay, so it's 5 years to be clean before you can apply. You say you're 19 now and quit on your 19th birthday, so you've got anywhere from 1 to 364 days clean, supposedly. That's just a minimum. Who do you think the PSP hires? Those that meet the very minimal minimum of standards? Or do you think they pick from the very BEST applicants, those that have shown excellent judgement and moral character their whole lives and have NEVER tried mj. Unfortunately for you it sounds as if for this career choice it may already be to late because your choices throughout your life have consequences, and it sounds as if you've lived your life not worrying about them so far. Maybe now you are, but again, too little too late.

The BA may be a good step towards overlooking your bad choices, but it may not be enough to make you competitive. Try a stint in the military for a few years to put more time between you and your dope smoking past (if in fact it is in the past). This will also show that you've grown, matured, and will give you chances at having positions of responsibility.

Also, I have to ask, what is your "personal history" that will make you a great trooper? Did you grow up in such stressful situations that you were making snap decisions that could result in someone actually losing their life? If not, then you have no experience in your history necessary to do this job.
    "Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have made a difference in the world. Marines don't have that problem." - Ronald Reagan

Sgt. Ervin Romans (OPD) - EOW March 21, 2009

Blackgoat06 is offline Veteran Member Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute Blackgoat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Make sure you have a plan B, whether it be working for a local P.D. or something else altogether. I suggest a non-LEO alternative at the least. Even if you get hired you may find this isn't what you expected or what you want.
    "Knowing what you stand for limits what you fall for"

11. This ad will disappear if you login