Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    samhill is offline Just a nice guy :) samhill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm......

I guess after reading some the posts, I don't feel that it was as silly of a question as I first thought.

Norm357 is offline I'm too sexy for my shirt Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Quote Originally Posted by ngcsubutterbar
    The Sheriff doesn't even have power in the entire county. They have no authority over a local police cheif within that county.

again thats local to you, because its not true in GA anywhere.

I dont know where you are getting your information but your wrong. In Ga, the Sheriff is the CLEO for the county. If the sheriff wanted to, he could assume all LE duties in his county. In Ga, the sheriff weilds a lot of political power and carries a big stick. Once again, I cannot speak on any other states policies.

Norm
    "In memory of DCLaw- EOW@RealPolice 02-20-2007.
    We won't rest 'till we find the mutt.

Sheriff, we are coming for you.

No, I am not an expert, but I am a fat guy who likes to eat.

http://www.aspca.org/images/content/...der/575925.jpg
    www.iCuban.com

Scoop is offline Banned Scoop has a spectacular aura about Scoop has a spectacular aura about Scoop has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by samhill
    I guess after reading some the posts, I don't feel that it was as silly of a question as I first thought.
    What in the samhill were you thinking? :D

Norm357 is offline I'm too sexy for my shirt Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute Norm357 has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Quote Originally Posted by samhill

This is a good thread. I just think people forget that the rules are different state by state.

www.iCuban.com

gijoeyl33 is offline Banned gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts
    most true statement on the entire thread. the sheriff could take over all LE duties and just have city run traffic, if thats what he wanted to do

Quote Originally Posted by Norm357
    I dont know where you are getting your information but your wrong. In Ga, the Sheriff is the CLEO for the county. If the sheriff wanted to, he could assume all LE duties in his county. In Ga, the sheriff weilds a lot of political power and carries a big stick. Once again, I cannot speak on any other states policies.

Norm

Supporting Member L2
    gijoeyl33, Im sure the rules vary from state to state. What may be true in Ga, may well not be in Texas or California.

Edited to add: I am 100% positive that a county sheriff cannot impede or interfere or refuse to allow a Federal agent to conduct an investigation in his/her jurisdiction.

www.iCuban.com

Supporting Member L2
    norm re-read me again, I said basically the same thing you did, I was referring to the quote tac put up, I then was saying that what he said is local for him, and does not fly in GA. You then posted why.
    GeorgiaCarry.org is an influential civil rights organization committed to not resting until the State of Georgia ceases all infringements upon the people's natural right to keep and bear arms that is protected by both the constitutions of Georgia and the USA. It's members include prominent legislators, captains of industry, members of the armed forces, police officers, parents, academics, lawyers, and citizens from all walks of life.

Vi et Consilio

gijoeyl33 is offline Banned gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts gijoeyl33 is infamous around these parts
    Its so wierd that everyone on this thread is so sure that a sheriff cant stop feds at the county border.....However you must be obviously mistaken due to IT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED!

CA Fuzz is offline Banned CA Fuzz is on a distinguished road
    In CA, the Sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer of the county. Of course they have no authority over the feds. However, they usually have the connections to call up the local Marshal or head of the DEA office if they feel a federal operation in their county is having problems. This is something that the rank and file fed really cannot do unless they wish to break the chain of command.

Really, how many times has local law enforcement stopped a federal action? BTW: The feds usually don't have power over local law enforcement, they merely have different jurisdiction.

This thread is starting to sound like a testosterone festival.

Just a friendly debate, and rather intresting

Quote Originally Posted by CA Fuzz
    This thread is starting to sound like a testosterone festival.

Gimmie 36 hours and ill come up with something more....then i ALREADY have

Quote Originally Posted by DC Law
    Show us some proof then. I already looked and found nada. Burden of proof has officially shifted to you.

You need to take a government class. Federal authority is supreme in areas where the federal government has jurisdiction. Local LEO's don't have to cooperate, but they can't obstruct federal investigations or arrests.

Supporting Member L2
    Quote Originally Posted by ngcsubutterbar
    norm re-read me again, I said basically the same thing you did, I was referring to the quote tac put up, I then was saying that what he said is local for him, and does not fly in GA. You then posted why.
    My bad! Sorry.

www.iCuban.com

FPS207 is offline Senior Member FPS207 has a reputation beyond repute FPS207 has a reputation beyond repute FPS207 has a reputation beyond repute FPS207 has a reputation beyond repute FPS207 has a reputation beyond repute FPS207 has a reputation beyond repute FPS207 has a reputation beyond repute FPS207 has a reputation beyond repute FPS207 has a reputation beyond repute FPS207 has a reputation beyond repute FPS207 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    In Georgia the Sheriff is the chief law enforcement official in every county. The Sheriff and his deputies are certified Peace Officers by POST and serve as the county police in counties that have no county law enforcement agency. The primary mission of Sheriffs is to maintain the jail and courts of each county and serve civil and criminal papers. In some counties in the state of Georgia, nine to specific, there are county police departments which perform all law enforcement functions in that county, reducing the Sheriff's responsibilities to courts, jails and serving papers.

The Georgia State Patrol is a statewide traffic enforcement and traffic crash investigators. The State Patrol have statewide law enforcement powers, though they are not used much except in very rural counties where the Sheriff's offices are very small.

Sheriff's deputies have statewide authority to act as a law enforcement officer anywhere in the state. However county police and city police are restricted to within their boundaries of jurisdiction.
    Last edited by FPS207; 02-09-04 at 11:29 PM.

Supporting Member L2
    Quote Originally Posted by FPS207
    Fps207
    Welcome to RP! What dept are you with?

www.iCuban.com

No offense taken, but what specifically did i say in the other thread about firearms?????

Quote Originally Posted by DC Law
    Well so far you haven't come up with anything on this, but you can have as much time as you like. This thread reminds me of your other one where you tell us all about concealed carry for officers. Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to labor under a lot of misperceptions about our job.

16. This ad will disappear if you login

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast